I do not mean that is my teacher's job to find me a band but does he have to help me meet other musicians and invite me in musical events etc. ?
No he isn't obligated to. He is there to teach you guitar.

You're only as social as you make yourself be.
I'm afraid that that responsibility is mostly on you. Networking and socializing are vital if you want to "make it" in the music industry and you have to put in the work yourself. Also, your teacher might have dozens of students and he/she can't hook all of you up with industry contacts.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I think a good teacher would strongly recommend you find other musicians to play with, and might actually suggest places you could go. And you should definitely be able to ask his advice. But it's definitely not his responsibility.

As a teacher, I expect students to have enough motivation to do most of the work themselves - I mean between lessons. I'm not there to lead them by the nose, I don't even think it's my job to inspire them. I'm there to give information, offer guidance, check/correct their technique, maybe open their ears to other stuff (expanding from what they already know). The energy must be theirs, not mine. They should have enough motivation to teach themselves, only coming to me if they get stuck or lost.

As a student, you are the driver, and you know where you want to go. The teacher is the instructor in the passenger seat - improving your driving, and maybe suggesting routes for how to get to where you want to go. You are not a passenger in a taxi!
Last edited by jongtr at Jan 19, 2017,
A great music teacher will point you in the right direction but it is up to you to establish a circle of musician friends. We used to have a jam session every Thurs with guitarists at different skill levels who all took lessons from this jazz guitar teacher. It opened my eyes a lot. I was a 16yr old novice player in a room with university chop monsters and it was a great motivator.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If your goals are serious, a good teacher would probably push you to play with other good musicians, but it is in no way the teacher's responsibility to find them for you. Doing things for yourself is probably the most important non-musical skill a musician can develop.
Quote by cdgraves
If your goals are serious, a good teacher would probably push you to play with other good musicians.

i'll expand on this by saying that your teacher probably mostly knows professional, gigging musicians that will be above your level, and with whom he has a professional background. if he's going to put his name to back you with the kind of connections he has, it's not gonna be jamming out in somebody's garage, and that requires a lot of skill both musically and non-musically.

if you really impress him and make great progress, he might eventually help you out, but as everyone else has said, the burden is on you, ultimately. consider any networking you do through your mentors as a sign of respect more than an obligation. he's not your agent. if you get a B- in a class, your professor probably isn't going to write you any shining letters of recommendation. you get what you put in, so don't expect any handouts beyond him helping you improve your playing

go to open mics, music stores, local shows. enter the scene and make friends
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
yes, asking people for musical contacts above the "jamming for fun" level is a pretty tricky thing (and people rarely jam just for fun at the professional level). Reputations are valuable, and people are understandably hesitant to attach their name to someone who doesn't have a reputation of their own. Pros like to recommend people who they really think will fit with others in their network, and if someone really likes your playing, they're usually not shy about passing your name on to people who are looking to hire.

Meeting people in the scene is essential if you want to climb that ladder, and it's important not to over-expose yourself and hurt your reputation. If you're an amateur at the weekly blues jam, don't go asking the host player if they know anybody looking for players. If s/he does, they'll tell you. Be realistic about your skill level and seek opportunities with people who think you're a good fit based on what they hear you play.
Nope. I'm not actually sure if you can hire any one person to do that. It's up to you to get out there.

I should add that being part of my local music community is one of the best things in my life. Made friends for life, and always have a place to hang out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
To add to what some of the above people said, it's really like this in any field. By connecting someone with an established person, you are basically stamping that person with your seal of approval that that person is up to snuff both in terms of ability and on a professional level. When you give your approval, you are putting your credibility on the line because of that person blows it, you look bad because you are the one that brought them to the table and approved them. It would be like if you were hanging out with your regular group of friends and you brought a new guy who is a total jackass and trashes the place. He did it but you are at fault because you brought him along. And that's not just music. The same goes for the corporate world, academia, or anything. And it's a lot easier to tear down your credibility than it was to build it up in the first place.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Are you taking private lessons through a music school/studio? Or are they at your house or your teacher's house? Many music schools/studios that offer lessons, especially when they have lessons for other instruments can help you find other people around your skill level to jam with. While it's not their obligation to find people for you, they may have a billboard where other students are looking to jam, if that's what you're looking to do.

One place I went (I wasn't a student there, but knew people who were) had a "band clinic" program where several students from the school put a band together and jammed there with one of the teachers at the school being a "band coach". It was a really good learning experience in my early musical career. This school had an associated studio (same facility, but separate business) that helped run the program and rented out their practice spaces for that use. It did cost money (I think we each paid $10 a week to cover room rental and the coach's time), but the backline was provided and the lessons were invaluable.
Quote by DHF1234
I do not mean that is my teacher's job to find me a band but does he have to help me meet other musicians and invite me in musical events etc. ?

Yes, he has a mental and physical obligation to provide you with the most up to date and current techniques, get you into the biggest bands, and to make sure at the end of each day, you have learned absolutely ever possible thing about guitar and music. If this isn't happening, I would suggest looking for someone else. There is no point having a teacher that isn't dedicated to making you supper, wiping your ass and finding you a girlfriend. It all comes hand in hand.
This is where music-schools shine. If you have classes with a private teacher, they often don't have the means or time to provide you with such connections beyond "Go and have a look in this or that bar." Music schools however do, since they don't just get one type of musician/pupil, they get all sorts. That is to say, so long as you didn't sign up for 'Guitar School so and so'. Since a music school is a collaboration between teachers of various instruments, you're very likely to be able to find advertisements in their halls for bands, looking for drummers, bassists, singers and so on.

In some cases, there even exists the possibility of taking band-classes, which tend to be a band put together by the school's teachers. This can be fun, if you're not too picky about what you'll be playing, but often there is some freedom and choice to be had concerning the direction. A 'band-class' is often coached, meaning there'll be a teacher around to give everyone pointers, and they can be a great lightning rod, which some bands really do need given the ego's at play. The downside of such classes, or music schools, is that they are more costly.

Still, you get what you pay for. A private teacher can be great, because they're not bound by music-school requirements, which can save you a lot of trouble and the two of you can really get into what you want to learn instead of spending months on learning sheet music because it's a demand. On the other side, a private teacher can also be a bumbling fool that can play but can't teach, or the other way around, since there are no colleagues or employers to maintain some level of quality control. The only advise there, try several, of both.

Good luck
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Feb 11, 2017,