Hey guys, so could you tell me what the difference between a neck thru and set thru neck is, especially on esp guitars, thanks
Neck through guitar construction usually has a neck timber that runs all the way to both ends of the guitar. The body bits are "wings" that are glued on either side of the central timber. Sometimes you can distinguish the central timber, sometimes not, particularly if the sides are made of the same wood as the central spine/neck. And, too, builders will often put a cap on one or both sides (top and bottom) of the guitar.

A set -(or glued-) neck guitar has a neck that's set into a rout in the body of the guitar. Most Les Pauls, for example, are set neck/glued neck guitars. Some guitars extend the rout much further into the body of the guitar (essentially laying the neck into a rout nearly the full length of the body), and these are sometimes called set-through construction guitar, depending on how badly the Marketing Department needed advertising bullet points to distinguish their guitars from others. When ESP carves the neck heel smooth to look like that on a neck-through, they call the result a set-through.

jxkehosking1 Set through and neck through if they're executed properly will feel exactly the same. Six in one hand, half a dozen on the other.

I'd be more concerned about other aspects of the guitar outside of it being a set through or a neck through.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by jxkehosking1
dspellman Jeeze thanks for all the info man, really helpful, which one would you recommend?

My favorite has always been neck-through because I hate clunky neck heels if I'm in the upper fret area. But that's more a function of the carved neck heel than the construction itself.
jxkehosking1 Again, provided the way the neck heel is carved on both guitars is identical, the difference isn't something I see as being significant. I kinda like the look of a neck through if the body core can be seen through the finish, but otherwise I'd just buy whichever LTD played better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
jxkehosking1

Which 2 exactly are you looking at?

For example I have an LTD EC-1001 and an E-II Eclipse and the neck heel and beveled cut away differences between the 2 are significant. And watch your fretboard radius numbers too - some are 305mm (~12") and some are 350mm (~13") - my eyes blurred over this for years until I put my hands on the 2 back to back.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
jxkehosking1
Those look almost the same spec-wise. I played an M-1001 for a few minutes a while back and recall that the I like the upper fret access on it.

You'd have to play each of the guitars yourself and see if you can tell a difference. Either one would be fine I'm sure - but I'd buy a Jackson! Jackson necks are awesome with the compound radius!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
jxkehosking1
Jackson still has a bunch of Soloist models (same neck-through or set-neck that you are looking for) with EMGs. Just look for the MG in the model name.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
If you're buying new I'd say get a soloist.
The 1000 is going to be nicer than the KH. They price those too high for what you get imo. Targeting Metallica fanboys.
Personally, I'd look for a used ESP Standard. They can be had for $700ish. A "real" ESP is light years ahead of LTD's.
I own a "real" ESP so...
I also own a USA Concorde. Grover Jackson FTW!
Sorry couldn't help that last part 😝