What would be a good rate for someone like me at the value I could provide the student.

My Cons - no band experience
- only been playing guitar for 7 years.
- no formal background.
- have only had lessons for 6 months in the beginning of taking up playing,
by someone very competent and in the game a long time though.
- just playing as a hobby the whole time..
- cant transcribe music for the student.
- no teaching experience.
- no song library in my arsenal not even smells like teen spirit, or even water on the smoke.
- kind of one dimensional in my style

My pro's - good level of technical prowess attained on the instrument
- importance of good posture and other healthy habits
- good understanding of musical theory and how to apply it in my own playing
- spend all of my guitar playing time on writing and improvising
- I am a manager in my career... idk if that is a pro
- good beard genetics
- proficient grasp of the basics down
- understands that explaining modes is ripping the beginner student off
- great communications skills and listening skills
- Socratic questioner

Imo I am worth 10 to 15 dollars every half hour at this point and 20 to 25 bucks for an hr lesson. I think where I would provide good value for the student would be helping him or her find their own voice on the instrument. I think where I would fall flat on my face is if all they wanted to do was learn songs from their favorite bands. I am only looking for a little bit of supplemental income from this. Would like to hear opinions of any kind. Is this a fruitless endeavor being where I am at with my experience in music?. Or could you see a market for this and some people seeing value in the kind of experience I have to offer them at the price I am at. lessons around here from people with formal backgrounds go for an average of about 30 to 45 an hour. Example of my music
https://soundcloud.com/omniusanity/pick-skip.
Songs are a vital part of the teaching package IMO - you can't just demonstrate techniques and theory in isolation, you have to put them in some sort of context for them to make sense to a student and that context is songs. So for example, for certain chord progressions - which songs are you going to use to illustrate how they're used in music? Or for soloing, say you're teaching A minor pentatonic - which solo are you going to use to show how it can be used?

Likewise songs are the yardstick for progress - you can't measure a student's progress in terms of exercises because practicing and playing are two very different things.

As far as your own music goes that particular track is incredibly busy and whilst it demonstrates technical ability there's not a lot that indicates you have much of a knack for actual music - it feels a little directionless, like a bunch of licks strung together rather than a coherent piece of music. Certainly there's nothing in there that would work as a frame of reference for a novice guitarist.

You've admitted yourself that your style is somewhat one-dimensonal - could you honestly teach someone the basics and guide them through discovering their own style? The evidence you've put forward gives me the impression that you'd only be cut out to teach someone to play like you. I just don't think you have the breadth of knowledge or experience needed to help someone develop and answer all the questions they may have - unless it was the exact right student and sadly you don't really get to pick.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Not sure if you're looking for a sugarcoated answer or a realistic one, but the realistic one is this: I would never hire you, nor would I ever recommend you to someone else. If your list is accurate, I think that you lack numerous skills that imo are a must for a teacher (ability to transcribe, large repertoire, experience or education in teaching, versatility etc.). Technical skill on the instrument has little to do with your skills in teaching, and you must understand that if you're not a good teacher, you might have a huge negative effect on a students learning curve.

I simply think that you lack experience and versatility. If you have good skills in communication and you understand the basics and stuff like posture/ergonomics well I think that is a start, but as Mark said you need to be able to answer any question your student throws at you, and you need to be absolutely sure that everything you teach is beneficial to your student. And I'm not sure if you can handle these points yet.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Yeah seagull and kev thanks ill stick to my day job lol. I am not ever looking for sugarcoated answers I want to hear truthful opinions and or advice. Everything thing you guys mentioned that defines a good teacher my first teacher had. I just thought maybe as a little bit of supplemental income I could just fill a niche in my area as a bargain style teacher to people that would like one on one lessons in person at a cheap price, that maybe aren't taking it as a potential career endevour but also just want to learn and play guitar for fun.

I do not know if those are rhetorical questions Mark but the way I would go about illustrating a chord progression in A minor and how it is used in music. Is first showing them a simple 1 4 5 progression and what chords those are Am, Dm and Em then id show them what intervals construct each of those chords the root,fifth and minor 3rd providing diagrams and study material for them to take home. I would provide simple rhythmic strumming patterns and proper strumming technique during the lesson depending where they are at in their playing. Proper metronome use and what sub divisions are most commonly found in music. I wouldn't probably have time to cram this all in to one lesson but it depends on the student I guess.
good beard genetics is important and you got that down
if I we're you I'd try to teach someone for free and see how it goes, you can probably learn how to teach .
I know I wouldn't feel good asking someone for money if I didn't know I could deliver
Sorry buddy, too little experience for me.

In the meantime, join a band and learn some songs. It will make you a better player.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud