Hello!
I've recently parted with my old Blackstar HT-5 combo as my band are about to start gigging again and I will need something a bit louder that 5w for shows. Not long ago, I played a Fender Blues Junior III and absolutely fell in love with the breakup and brightness of it. I've been on the hunt for something like this since. However being in the UK, Blues Juniors are around £500+ new here which is a bit out of my budget. I'd love to save up for one but I need an amp pretty soon for rehearsals aswell as just practice at home.

I'm basically looking for those bright Fender/American cleans that I can use to put a distortion pedal over.

I've found a 2nd Hand Blues Jr. II for £300 somewhat nearby me (an hour or 2 drive) which I'm considering.
But for the price, theres also:

Laney Cub12R for £235
I've heard good things about it but I can't really play it and I hate those really dark sounding Marshall-ish amps

And also the Fender Champion 100 which I can get for dirt cheap nearby.
It has the advantage of being louder (somewhat) and cheaper.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Forgive me for my amp ignorance! Cheers
problem with bright sparkly fendery amps is that they can make some (a lot of) dirt pedals sound spiky. (though if you find marshalls dark you might be ok )

what pedal(s) are you thinking of?

any reason why you don't want an amp with a nice od channel too? (it's totally up to you, i'm just wondering)

i haven't tried it but there's that yerasov amp which is supposedly a pro junior clone. or there's the pro junior itself. only a 10" speaker, though, if that matters.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Thanks for the reply! I don't know I've just always found amp gain (that isnt actual breakup) to sound really bad and cheap. I like the idea and simplicity of the 1 channel in the Blues Junior. I want to use the EQ to get a nice clean sound and use my DS-1 to get the distortion with the tone on it rolled off to around 3-4.

I really like the bright and warm tone of the Blues Jr.

The only reason I'm considering the Champion is for the clean channel that I can then use to get the distortion on top of it.

Cheers
Blues Jr. or Fender Super Champ work pretty well to deliver legit Fender tone for pub gigs. The Super Champ also has a voice channel for OD and a handful of useful effects so you can bring fewer pedals for tight stages. The Laney Cub 12 sounds good to me but definitely British voiced OD so probably too dark for your liking. Vox AC 15 is another good one. Somewhat Brit voiced but bright and chimey rather than dark and brooding.

The Champion just doesn't work for me and I am a Fender fanboy.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 17, 2017,
Cub12 cleans are pretty nice. Sounds more Vox than Fender to me but... nice. One of my friends owns one and always sounds good with it. A legit pub gig rig.

This is a pretty good demo where the guy can play:
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 17, 2017,
^ I haven't tried any of the cubs but i have a vague feeling that i've read that maybe the cub 10 is more fendery? I could well be wrong, though.

Quote by solclayton2000
Dave_Mc Thanks for the reply! I don't know I've just always found amp gain (that isnt actual breakup) to sound really bad and cheap. I like the idea and simplicity of the 1 channel in the Blues Junior. I want to use the EQ to get a nice clean sound and use my DS-1 to get the distortion with the tone on it rolled off to around 3-4.

No worries. I'd tend to say the opposite, but it's very dependent on personal preference as you said, and the types of tones you want to get. EDIT: Not to mention the specific amps and pedals you're comparing!

yeah the tone around 10-11 o'clock is pretty much the only place the ds1 sounds any good, lol. i think once you get the tone to there though it sounds pretty decent... at least with some amps and for some tones. I think a lot of the haters are a bit hard on it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 18, 2017,
Dave_Mc I've seen the Jet City JCA20HV head. Its 20 watt and has the same Pre and Power tubes as the Blues Junior (3 Preamplifier tubes 12AX7, 2 Power amplifier tubes EL84). Would it sound pretty close to a Blues Junior through a 1x12" Cab w/ a V30? Cheers
I'd say no. The JCA20 sounds more like Hendrix clean tone than Fender clean with the gain down. It is a nice sounding amp and useful depending on the stuff you want to cover but definitely more Plexi clean and less Fender clean.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 18, 2017,
^ The HV version has a different circuit, it's lower gain. I haven't tried it, though, but I doubt it's that Fendery. But it might be worth considering.

Quote by solclayton2000
Dave_Mc I've seen the Jet City JCA20HV head. Its 20 watt and has the same Pre and Power tubes as the Blues Junior (3 Preamplifier tubes 12AX7, 2 Power amplifier tubes EL84). Would it sound pretty close to a Blues Junior through a 1x12" Cab w/ a V30? Cheers

No idea, I haven't tried it, but I doubt it. The tube numbers and types are pretty far down the list of things which affect the sound.

E.g. Fender Twin- 4 12ax7s and two 12at7s (more or less lower gain 12ax7s basically... so six overall) in the preamp and four 6L6es in the power amp.

Peavey 6505+- Six 12ax7s in the preamp and 6L6es in the power amp.

They don't sound the same. In fact I'd say they sound about as different as two guitar amps can.

Also a v30 will take you away from the fendery tone, IMO.

Actually, I haven't tried this one either, but the 50 watt 2x12 Jet city combo (not the 1x12, that's a different high gain circuit like the high wattage heads) supposedly has the clean channel from the lucky 13, which is supposedly fendery. Combined with (I think) the crunch channel from the hihg gain heads. Might be worth considering if you can find one in stock. But it's going to be big and heavy, being a 2x12...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can find an used Ampeg GVT52, it might be perfect for you. It has a fantastic clean channel, somewhat Fender-y but not as harsh, and it's an excellent platform to throw pedals at.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
LinkermanDave_Mc Thanks guys, Im starting to just steer towards the Laney. We'll be playing club venues. The 1W will be good for practice and hopefully I can get some nice bright warmth out of it with some lowered bass and higher mids, perhaps using a RAT instead of the DS-1 will help too?
rats are nice but i dunno if they're any brighter than a ds1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?