ok we are revising some of the helpful guidelines on the forums which hopefully will help new posters and be a refresher for the long time members. any helpful comments and input would be appreciated.

HOW TO POST FOR BEST RESULTS WHEN SEEKING ADVICE

this is probably the biggest type of post on GG&A. Help us to Help you as effectively as possible. this needs to start with the following info

BUDGET : how much do you have to spend? pretty straight forward but vitally important to getting good answers. answers that you can't really afford do you little good. saying as little as possible and the like isn't helpful gives us a number to work with.

LOCATION : where in the world are you? knowing this will hopefully fine tune the advice given. this will be very helpful especially for those not in the US or UK as you may not have as easy access to many items as folks from those places. there may also be import fees etc to consider.

NEW or USED and ARE YOU WILLING TO ORDER ONLINE. again fairly simple but makes a big difference. if the item must be new then say so. if you are willing to buy used this will certainly stretch your budget and give you more options. some aren't comfortable with this but it is often recommended as a way to make your money go further and get you better gear. some prefer to not order online and some are fine with it. going online will give you more options but again if you feel that you need to try before you buy etc let us know. no point in recommending things that you likely can't get locally.

GIVE DETAILS: if you want gear that will work for the music you play then we need to know what exactly that is. try to be as specific as you can. statements like "best metal amp" or "best country guitar" often won't get you useful answers as the ? is to broad. give us an idea of what you are playing and trying to achieve. bands with similar sounds or styles to what you want make for a good reference for people trying to give you answers. if you are limited to certain options then say so.

if these guidelines are followed then your chances at getting useful advice greatly increase. keep in mind that opinions may vary so don't expect a definite answer every time. last but not least is to understand and keep in mind that this is just advice. in the end it is up to you what you end up getting. you will have to evaluate the advice given. you also need to keep an open mind as what you thought you wanted may not be what you actually need. for instance we often get ?s like" what pedal will make my super cheap guitar and amp sound like a guitar heroes $100,000 setup". as much as we'd like to be able to name a pedal truth be told there isn't one and your money needs to go elsewhere to get the results you want. don't get mad if the advice given isn't what you want to hear. every effort is made to give honest helpful answers and we have many members that know what they are talking about (also a few that don't but this is a forum so no guarantees can be made)

hope this helps and happy posting
HOW BEST TO GIVE ADVICE ON THIS FORUM

one of the best things about this forum is the many members with knowledge to share. some are better at it than others and some may be a bit hesitant. these guidelines should help keep things interesting and constructive.

as we all should know gear advice is tough for a number of reasons. there is usually not one answer and everyone has their favs. this keeps thing interesting and hopefully give those seeking advice options. it also may spur some (hopefully) friendly debate which keep this forum interesting.

WHAT IS GOOD ADVICE: well this should be simple but often is complicated. simply, good advice should answer the posters ? and be what they want. sadly it isn't always that easy. the best advice may be totally different from what the poster expects. in any case some kind of explanation should be given as to why your advice is viable. try not to talk down to folks, we were all n00b players at one time. most of all your advice should be useful in a genuine manor.

TYPES OF ADVICE: advice usually comes in 2 forms (at least for this type of forum.)

FIRST HAND : this tends to be the best type of advice. 1st hand means you either own or have personally tried whatever is being recommended. those who actually own (or have owned) are in the best position to give solid info. they know the pros and cons inside and out. they are in the best position to answer any ?s a poster may have about it and give solid advice ( keep in mind that some can be a bit of a fanboy as well). those who have tried something can at least give an educated answer on it but this tends to be more of an opinion. still very useful. either way personal experience usually makes for the best advice. when you have first hand experience say so in your post.

SECOND HAND: ok this gets a lot tougher but still can be useful. advertising, youtube and the like all provide 2nd hand info. reading about an item online is also 2nd hand. advice based on this gets a little iffy but can still be useful if done properly. STATE THAT THIS INFO IS 2ND HAND but the poster may want to look into it. none of us are likely to ever be in a position to personally try everything out there. we often are in a position to hear about gear. something may sound like the perfect solution to a posters ? so it can't hurt to mention it as a possible option. care must be taken with this in order to make it useful.

BE POLITE : yes often we get the same ?s or get some seemingly dumb noob ?s. at one time all of us were that noob so keep that in mind. some posters don't always do well with advice given but try to keep your cool when responding. other folks may respond with something you don't agree with, this is a big part of a forum. again try to keep things civil and in the form of a debate. FLAME WARS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. we all make mistakes so again be polite when pointing them out. don't just come into a thread to point out something sucks with nothing more to be said on your part. not useful.

GIVE USEFUL ADVICE: this should seem obvious. it doesn't always happen but it should. we fully encourage everyone here to participate and don't want to make anyone feel like they have to be an "expert" to answer a posters ? having said this we don't encourage folks to post on things they have little or no knowledge about. really read what the poster says and try to give advice that best suites the ?. this may include recommending things that you personally aren't a fan of but is what the poster needs. advice shouldn't be about what you like as much as what will best suite the poster. us common sense and all should be good. try not to be a fan boy. we all have fav gear and promote it as much as we can. if that gear is what the poster really needs great go for it. if it really isn't the best option then either stay out of the conversation or recommend what would be the best option.

hope this helps. our members are what makes this forum great so lets keep up the good work and make this a place known for good advice
That's some good advice!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
This needed updating so yea. Gud fred.

I think an EG version of this would be good too. Threads on the same topic usually aren't allowed but for this kind of thread, I don't see a problem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This needed updating so yea. Gud fred.

I think an EG version of this would be good too. Threads on the same topic usually aren't allowed but for this kind of thread, I don't see a problem.

I got a message from the brass on this and I assume they want to update each section so yeah go for it.
OK, here's my hobby horse. - Not being sure when advice is first or secondhand. I think that contributors should be encouraged to make it clear whether they are speaking from personal experience or hearsay - I suspect a lot of what I see is just wikiwisdom. I've got nothing against secondhand info, provided I know that is what it is. It would just be a case of making the phrasing a bit more emphatic in your "second hand" para
OK, here's my hobby horse. - Not being sure when advice is first or secondhand. I think that contributors should be encouraged to make it clear whether they are speaking from personal experience or hearsay - I suspect a lot of what I see is just wikiwisdom. I've got nothing against secondhand info, provided I know that is what it is. It would just be a case of making the phrasing a bit more emphatic in your "second hand" para[/QUOT

good thought and i'll add something in. unfortunately despite what people "say" you never really know if it's true or not just part of the internet. usually if you stay on the boards you can get a feel for who knows their stuff and who is full of shit.

line added to first hand post about mentioning you have first hand experience. all caps used for mentioning your info is 2nd hand.
What if I like to give third hand advice
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE RULES WILL RESULT IN AN OVER ABUNDANCE OF CAT MEMES.
Excellent

Only thing I'd say is, while I agree that owning the thing normally means you know a lot more about the product than if you've just tried it in a shop, only listening to people who own the thing might mean you've got a skewed sample- you're likely to run into more fanboys that way, since people who don't like a product when they try it normally don't buy it (there'll be some people who realise a product sucks after they buy it, of course, but I would guess there's still a bit of a bias there in favour of fanboys). Maybe a quick note to warn about that in the first hand advice paragraph?

The rest's great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Reported for lack of font colors, font sizing, imagery, bold, underline, and strikethrough. Poor formatting will reduce the quality of advice since fuckbois like flashy colors and pretty words.

jk it's sad that this needs to be done. well done.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
Excellent

Only thing I'd say is, while I agree that owning the thing normally means you know a lot more about the product than if you've just tried it in a shop, only listening to people who own the thing might mean you've got a skewed sample- you're likely to run into more fanboys that way, since people who don't like a product when they try it normally don't buy it (there'll be some people who realise a product sucks after they buy it, of course, but I would guess there's still a bit of a bias there in favour of fanboys). Maybe a quick note to warn about that in the first hand advice paragraph?

The rest's great.

I hear what you are saying however there is already something about folks who have tried gear but don't own it in there. guidelines can't cover every contingency but I agree with you that "owners" don't always mean best advice. I also mentioned the fanboy thing in the giving advice section. I will think about it though and see if a quick addition will be beneficial.
^ Yeah absolutely. I don't mean a big essay, just maybe half a sentence in brackets along the lines of "(but just remember that owners are likely to be biased in favour of liking the amps- if they didn't like the amp they wouldn't have bought it!)" or something like that.

Quote by Tony Done
Dave_Mc

Yes, confirmation bias is probably as big a risk as wikiwisdom.

Yeah. I just figure if you're going to warn people you might as well warn them about everything (that we can think of, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great update: being polite, not insulting or dismissive is paramount although I know of a mod or two that could use a bit of finesse .

I agree with Dave about the owner/fanboy thing we had a thread just yesterday or so about guitar brand fanboys so that is definatley a thing but as long as we give the cons along with the pros we can still be helpful. I admit that I am a long time Jackson fan but I will point out their shortcomings like the licesned Floyds (that are not as bad as some like to say) are not up to snuff with the real deal OFR.

There is a fair amount of brand bashing that happens as well, Line 6 gets little to no respect (understandably) though they do make a couple of decent amps, but there are some here who just bash and dismiss brands altogether with great bias. Dean and B.C. Rich are two that come to mind and while both of them make turds for sure they also make good products in the higher price range and so should not be dismissed completely.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Great update: being polite, not insulting or dismissive is paramount although I know of a mod or two that could use a bit of finesse .

I agree with Dave about the owner/fanboy thing we had a thread just yesterday or so about guitar brand fanboys so that is definatley a thing but as long as we give the cons along with the pros we can still be helpful. I admit that I am a long time Jackson fan but I will point out their shortcomings like the licesned Floyds (that are not as bad as some like to say) are not up to snuff with the real deal OFR.

There is a fair amount of brand bashing that happens as well, Line 6 gets little to no respect (understandably) though they do make a couple of decent amps, but there are some here who just bash and dismiss brands altogether with great bias. Dean and B.C. Rich are two that come to mind and while both of them make turds for sure they also make good products in the higher price range and so should not be dismissed completely.

ok line added to 1st person section about fanboyism.. I think that many of us can lean towards the fanboy side when it comes to certain pieces of gear. as long as that item truly suites the posters needs then fine. if it's off target and mentioned for the sake of being a fanboy then that's bad. hopefully we won't get to much of that. a lot of players are loyal to certain brands or pieces of gear for a reason (myself included) . as long as pros and cons are mentioned then it shouldn't pose to much of a problem. the board also has certain go to items like 6505+ combo for newer players looking for metal amp. are there other options, sure but that one will do the trick in most cases and is readily available to most.

yeah certain brands do get beat up on whether rightly so or not. this isn't limited to this board so not much we can do about it. I plug BC Rich when appropriate but admittedly it's hard to do on the low end. Line 6 hate tends to be limited to the amps and not without reason. there are times when those were the best choice but that doesn't happen often. there will always be hate not much we can do about it (fanboys will also never go away).

I think the best thing we can do is try our best to make sure posters asking about gear get reasonably good advice. it is up to them to do some research of their own and in the end make up their own mind.

SORRY NO FANCY COLOR ETC. I have to work on this at work and honestly don't have the time to putz around with fancy stuff. people that need glitz and glamour aren't like to actually read anything past a quick glance anyways.
^ Excellent, thanks

And yeah definitely I don't want to discourage people from posting either, even if they are biased- everyone's biased (at least to a certain extent), so as long as people are warned, that's ok. And as you said, biased advice isn't necessarily always wrong (nor is more objective advice always right).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If asking for advice, be realistic. There is no amp that has Fender Twin cleans and Dual Rec gain, especially for 200 bucks.
Know that a good amp is an investment that will last years to decades, so be prepared for people to say keep saving.
Quote by Grawgos
If asking for advice, be realistic. There is no amp that has Fender Twin cleans and Dual Rec gain, especially for 200 bucks.
Know that a good amp is an investment that will last years to decades, so be prepared for people to say keep saving.

although I agree with this often newer players just don't know which is why they ask. as long as we are nice about it that's about as good as it gets.
^ yeah definitely. "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers" is my motto. we don't want (IMO) to be posting anything which suggests that you need to know what you're doing when you ask a question, as that will put people off. And obviously ideally don't do anything in our answers which puts people off asking questions, either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evilnine

Yep, noticed that regarding a couple of the mods myself. Willing to be dismissive and not willing to admit that what's right for them might not be what is right for someone else. Even if the person says that it's just their opinion and made full disclosure that it's just an opinion.
Quote by GoldJim
Yep, noticed that regarding a couple of the mods myself. Willing to be dismissive and not willing to admit that what's right for them might not be what is right for someone else. Even if the person says that it's just their opinion and made full disclosure that it's just an opinion.

i addressed some of this in a prior post. yeah some people are dismissive but this is an opinion based board so not to much can be done. if someone is way off base then chances are they will be called out for it. we have a pretty broad base of posters here some with a great deal of experience and many with little to none. it's tough to make it friendly for all but that is the goal. if you feel that advice given is "incorrect" or not in the OPs best interest then feel free to dispute it. we all have off days or maybe didn't read close enough etc. even the best of us can give bad or incorrect advice. (i try not to but am not immune).
Ok, in the interest of keeping the stickies clean I'm going to merge this into the GG&A rules and resources hub soon.

If anyone would like to take a stab at rewriting the first post, it would be appreciated. The goals should include condensing it a little bit, rewriting in full sentences with proper grammar/punctuation, and perhaps some formatting with bold/italic emphasis instead of all caps. I'll try to get around to it when I've got the time, but I'd be very grateful if someone else has a few minutes to do it. Obviously this would be a good time to add or alter it based on changes/feedback suggested here as well.

Eventually I'd like to update the rules and resources hub entirely, but that might be a pipe dream.
Quote by Roc8995
The goals should include condensing it a little bit

Well that's me out  

If you want someone to rewrite it for you and make it 8 times as long, I'm your man.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello. I cannot find the option to post a new thread for a question I'd like opinions on. Where do I post? Thank you
Quote by RebelRyan13
Hello. I cannot find the option to post a new thread for a question I'd like opinions on. Where do I post? Thank you

Go to https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Click Create Thread button, left top.  

For advice about getting new gear, read the 1st post of this thread.