So I recently aquired an Ibanez Jem Jr. I plan on swapping the pickups out and putting in a Fernandes Sustainer or a Sustainiac in the neck position with a single coil next to it akin to Steve Vai's "FLO" guitar. How would I go about doing this exactly?
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
I have a pair of guitars set up this way (and I'm getting a third done the same way). I have a single-coil size humbucker (DiMarzio Fast Track II) in the neck position next to the sustainer driver. My best suggestion is that you send the guitar to Gary Brawer in San Francisco and tell him what you want to do. It's a bit of a complicated install and you can end up with a squealing mess if you miss a step or two.
Quote by Will Lane
I maybe know less about this technology to suggest this, but I imagine pickup sustainer technology's stock may drop a bit soon...
I'm not convinced; it's a fun and potentially useful tool to be sure, but it seems like a slightly fancier take on the one Boss already does. They also refuse to tell you much about what it actually does, which always leaves me suspicious. Also, the thing people like about sustainers over the alternatives, at least in my experience, is that the sustain actually happens on the guitar string, rather than being generated further down the signal chain, which I couldn't tell you how big of a difference it actually is in practice but it's a difference.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Will Lane
I maybe know less about this technology to suggest this, but I imagine pickup sustainer technology's stock may drop a bit soon...

Might at that. I'll have to reserve comment until I actually try one. But K33nbl4d3's also got a point, in that the feedback loop includes the actual guitar string on a Sustainer.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 19, 2017,
dspellman
Yeah, I'm curious about what the DigiTech actually does, like if it's some kind of synth or something on the inside? I think the fact they don't tell you suggests that it's not as clever or as "natural" as they'd have you believe. Like calling something "chocolate flavour" instead of "chocolate".
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
dspellmanYeah, I'm curious about what the DigiTech actually does, like if it's some kind of synth or something on the inside? I think the fact they don't tell you suggests that it's not as clever or as "natural" as they'd have you believe. Like calling something "chocolate flavour" instead of "chocolate".
To be fair the pedal was JUST "released" to the public. As in, the PGS video was the first we have seen as to what the pedal actually sounds like- they had been posting only a few teasers the week before. There is a page up on their website but it does not really give any info on how the pedal actually works electrically. http://digitech.com/en-US/products/freqout

For sure though it does not involve acoustical interaction with the guitar string. If I had to guess, it would be something like really hard compression that causes internal oscillation and/or a bunch of imperceptibly quick delays with infinite repeats. Or just a bunch of positive feedback loops. Any of those options would probably require some sort of filter to be applied to the feedback to get the different harmonics, which I guess would also require some sort of pitch analyzation to know what frequency band to apply the filter, depending upon the notes played.

I did ask Tom (@DigiTechRep) on the TGP thread to see if he can give any info on how the pedal works.
Will Lane
Yeah, I'll be interested to hear that. The main thing I want to know is what it does when the string's not moving at all anymore. That's a problem sustainers don't have until you're out of battery, whereas any sustain pedal can only work with what comes out of the guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22