Hello friends,

I might be a little out of line here, but I really don't know where else to turn. My Mom is turning 50 soon, and we're going to do a big party for her. As part of the surprise, we want to do a music video with all of the family covering Bon Jovi's "I'd Die For You". My sister plays the keyboard, my brother the bass, my other sister the guitar, and my Dad's got a pretty mean Bon Jovi impression and a good voice. I do videography work so I've got the gear and know-how to make a killer video, but the fam wants me to do the lead guitar in the song, and while I can keep up with simple solos, the one in "I'd Die For You" is pretty tough. No problem, I'll just watch a video. Psyche, there aren't any videos, tutorials, lessons, anything! There's several videos of people covering it, and they do a good job, but for the life of me I can not figure out the fingering and techniques used to get through it. I've got till Julyish to learn, so I've got time and I know I could learn it with practice, but I've tried for a week now to figure it out and just can't do it by myself.

Anyone here understand the tab or know how to play notes in the patterns from the solo? I've looked at regular tabs and the Pro tabs, and they're all pretty much uniform.

Anyways, thanks in advance for anyone that stumbles across this who might be able to help out! I could always do my own simplified solo, but what kind of video would that make?
Have you checked this Guitar Pro tab? https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bon_jovi/id_die_for_you_ver2_guitar_pro_1080007id_01082011date.htm
It seems to be the best one, it's fairly accurate, some timing a bit off.
There's nothing too crazy in it, some relatively fast picking, P.M., artificial harmonics. That sliding lick could be interesting.
What are you having trouble with? If you like I can probably make a more accurate tab of it and maybe help you with any questions you have on how to play it.
Thread was moved to forum: Tab Talk
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
NeoMvsEu
Fine by me! (I'm a bit of a forum hermit, so I'm still learning which forums are for what.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by NSpen1
Have you checked this Guitar Pro tab? https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bon_jovi/id_die_for_you_ver2_guitar_pro_1080007id_01082011date.htm
It seems to be the best one, it's fairly accurate, some timing a bit off.
There's nothing too crazy in it, some relatively fast picking, P.M., artificial harmonics. That sliding lick could be interesting.
What are you having trouble with? If you like I can probably make a more accurate tab of it and maybe help you with any questions you have on how to play it.
Thanks for the response. My big problem is when it gets a little faster in the solo, measure 103. Pretty much 103 to the end of the solo. I've been playing version 3 as it seems to be pretty spot on. I know there's a way to play it fairly simply with the right fingering, as I've seen it in both cover videos and videos of Richie Sambora live, but I just don't know enough about technique, especially with solos, to figure it out. Oftentimes I'll find myself looking at a daunting tab only to find a video that explains it and makes it much more simple. I'm hoping I can find something similar out here.

NeoMvsEu Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I poked around a little before posting and couldn't really figure out how to post in different forums, so thanks for moving it for me.
Quote by ckelson
NeoMvsEu Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I poked around a little before posting and couldn't really figure out how to post in different forums, so thanks for moving it for me.
No worries if you stick around you'll get a better idea of what fits where soon!

I would suggest playing 103-end of solo a lot slower (1/2-speed), with metronome, until you get it down acceptably and then work up. Hitting the notes is a good start; if you have Guitar Pro (or TuxGuitar, its freeware counterpart *cough*) you can figure out what all the articulations are and there are definitely videos about how to do X technique on guitar somewhere in the Interwebs!
It looks like you've been referring to version 3 of the interactive tabs which is the same as version 2 of the guitar pro tabs which I linked.
Here is my hopefully fully corrected version of the solo. It's optimised for Guitar Pro 5, but should look/sound ok if you use another program. I wouldn't recommend Tab Pro, but TuxGuitar should be better.
Timing in the first few bars is corrected, you probably need to play less semi/artificial harmonics (good) and a bit more P.M. (not too hard).
The last note in each of the last three bars is not bent, but rather played with fairly large vibrato.
For the sliding lick in the 7th/8th bars, you can let that ring a bit, it'll be easier to play (I haven't put it in the tab because it'll look and sound a bit messy). If you find the "3 on 4" pattern - groupings of 3 notes played as 16ths - confusing, try and think of the first group of three starting on the beat, the second group off the beat, and alternate like that.
e.g. emphasis on these notes

----8------10-----8------10
8/10--10/12--12\10--10/12--

For the rest of the faster licks, as Neo says, just start off slowly and build up to speed (though I'm guilty of not doing that too well myself!). In bar 12 you can leave out the 16th note triplet part and just play 17 20 17 on beat 3. If you have any questions about fingering, etc, just shout!

Tab attached and uploaded here https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bon_jovi/id_die_for_you_solo_guitar_pro_1935623id_20012017date.htm
Attachments:
BonJovi-IdDieForYouSolo.gp5
NeoMvsEu I do have Tab Pro, and while if I slow it WAY down I can play it, I'm 100% sure that it's not using the right technique... Thanks for the tips!

NSpen1 Wow, thanks a lot! When I click the link that you provide, I'm taken to the same place where I usually practice, so I'm assuming that we're looking at the same versions. Like I said, I CAN do it if I play really really slow, but I'm sure my fingering is wrong. Every video I see their fingers look pretty much like they're playing a chord and just moving it up the neck. But I don't the name of the technique yet so I'm having trouble figuring it out. But thanks for the updates and tips, very helpful!
A simplification of the part NSpen1 highlighted

----------4 on 3-----------                          |-----ring----------
e|-8------10-----12-----10----12-------|-10-----8------7-------------------|
B|-10-----12-----13-----12----13-------|-12-----10-----8-------------------|
G|-------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
   1  e + a  2 e +  a 3 e + a 4  e + a   1  e + a  2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
/\
actually
8---10--8---10--12
10--12--10--12--13 etc

Quote by ckelson
Wow, ...

Ah yeah, if you're subscribed to Tab Pro then you just see the "click link to play tab" notice, and it takes you to the Tab Pro site.
If you're still having trouble with that part, then yes it looks like playing a chord and sliding it up and down the neck, but they're not actually full chords, two notes like that are 'intervals'.
The ones shaped like this
8   10
10  12
are minor 3rds
and shaped like this
12  7
13  8
major 3rds
Then let the notes ring as you're sliding them, even though you only pick one note and slide it, hold the other note and slide at the same time.
e.g.
------8-(8)(10)10-(10)(8)-
8-/10---10-/12----12-\10--

The notes in brackets are held and they slide from 8 to 10 as the notes on the B string slide from 10 to 12. (Also hold the notes at 10 & 12 on the B string.)
But when you're sliding from one shape to another
e.g. 10    12
     12 to 13,
don't hold the top note otherwise it'll sound bad!

btw the tab will look better in Guitar Pro than in Tab Pro, so here is how it looks.
And watching live footage I noticed that for the last 2 bars Richie Sambora plays them completely in 5th and 17th position so I've corrected that. Plus the main riff in the song he plays the F as 1 3 5, and the G as 3 5 7, all on the bottom string.

Last edited by NSpen1 at Jan 23, 2017,
Quote by NSpen1
/\
actually

Wow, I don't even know what to say! This has helped tremendously, and I'm starting to get it! I can play the first half of the solo at half speed now, so I just need to work my speed up slowly! Thanks so much!