I own a Peavey VK112 (50 watts) . At about of volume of 2-3 on the clean channel it starts to distort when playing aggressively. I'm using the 2nd channel of the amp with my Ibanez JS1000, which is a humbucking guitar. The highs are crappy and the lows are muddy after that volume. I don't notice anything out of order in the distorted channel. I think something is wrong because I have owned this amp a long time. All I have done is check the Ohms of the speaker with a multimeter and they were fine. I'm not sure what else to try. What would you suspect? Thank you.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
AcousticMirror That's what I figured too. Trying to figure out which one it would most likely be. I might sell it soon so I don't want to throw all new tubes in it.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
I own a Peavey VK112 (50 watts) . At about of volume of 2-3 on the clean channel it starts to distort when playing aggressively. I'm using the 2nd channel of the amp with my Ibanez JS1000, which is a humbucking guitar. The highs are crappy and the lows are muddy after that volume. I don't notice anything out of order in the distorted channel. I think something is wrong because I have owned this amp a long time. All I have done is check the Ohms of the speaker with a multimeter and they were fine. I'm not sure what else to try. What would you suspect? Thank you.
V1 is the most important tube for the inherent tone of the amp. V2 IIRC is for the lead channel, V3 is the phase inverter (which can distort as well). If your tubes are really old you may just want to change the whole set. Try the other input (left input) and see if that helps. I cannot remember which one is hotter.

Something I noticed with my VK that you can get a much better "clean" sound on the lead channel. Which may just be because I like a British clean more than American. Put the gain control at minimum (pot has no more travel), crank the master volume all the way up and then very lightly tap the gain control up, and you will hear it jump a bit and you'll know when you get to the sweet spot. It will be kind of loud but not overbearing.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 18, 2017,
new tubes and so some mods.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
new tubes and so some mods.
How do I tell which tube went bad?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
i would do them all $50-60 is all it would be. JJ 6l6's (matched pair) and a tung sol in V! and JJ in V2 and PI.

i use tube depot all the time. i have at least eighty brand new tubes that i have bought from them that i stockpile, never had a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
get at least 1 new preamp tube (12ax7) and try it in each of the slots to see which position gets you what you want. cheapest way to go. if selling you ddo want it to sound decent otherwise sale might be tough.