Budget? - 1000$ give or take, id say 1200$ would be the max

Genres? - i play higher gain sounds more often than not (think mastodon, lamb of god, tool, metallica, gojira) but i also play a fair amount of blusier, low gainish classic rock (clapton, the stones, zeppelin, and straight up blues jams) in terms of a high gain, low gain spectrum.

New or Used? - always open to used

Home or Gig? - Both

Closest City? - St. Louis, MO

Current Gear? - epiphone les paul (with emgs if that matters), traynor ycv40, b-52 4x12, mxr classic distorion, boss n-2

Thanks guys, i used to be up on all of this stuff but its been a while since i payed attention to all the new gear and what not.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
+1 on Mesa. But I'm a biased Boogie boy..
Or...ENGL. Again, biased.
I run an e570 with a 50/50.
Melts paint and causes stiffness in the shorts
Buy that Roadster (I have one) head and then start saving for a better cab.

The Roadster is not your normal Dual Rec. The Clean, Fat, and Tweed modes will do your lighter stuff. The Raw mode does rock really well. Vintage and Modern are all out metal.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I get all those tones really well with a 6505+ head, proper tubes, matched with V30s.

The only downfall I've found with it is NO true clean channel. But I found a way around it ... Don't play anything that requires a 100% pure clean sound ....
Quote by metalmingee
Buy that Roadster (I have one) head and then start saving for a better cab.

The Roadster is not your normal Dual Rec. The Clean, Fat, and Tweed modes will do your lighter stuff. The Raw mode does rock really well. Vintage and Modern are all out metal.

Sounds good to me. My plan was to put V30's in my cab, already have one of them. Unless getting a whole new cab would be more beneficial.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
jimihendrix6699

It depends. The cheap 412s with V30s are Crate Blue Voodoo, Line6 Spider VALVE, and Carvin Legacy. These 3 normally fly under the radar.

Mesa cabs use a slightly altered made for Mesa V30 and their cabs seem to have more thought put into them than just trying to use a single sheet of wood.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Peavey JSX with a few pedals exchanged for others (maybe an OD pedal to replace your distortion pedal, an EQ pedal wouldn't hurt, maybe a reverb or delay pedal or two or three....) Basically you can get JSX heads for absurd deals these days, and they're F--ing awesome. Room in the budget for a lot of pedals too -- but the amp barely needs them to cover what you're after.

EVH 5150 -- 50 watt version. Plenty loud -- pretty versatile like the JSX, slightly different flavor for tone. Still room in your budget for pedals if you go used.

6505+ could work. Despite what people say, the cleans can actually be quite decent, especially with reverb/delay pedals, slightly lower gain V1 tube, and a touch of chorus (I use a delay pedal that has a hint of chorus on the tails on one of its modes -- sounds pretty awesome with the 6505+). You can get these in great shape used for $600-650 all day long in the U.S. -- and then there's room in your budget for pedals. The lead channel is a monster, but still useable for lighter metal/harder rock genres. The rhythm channel is a bit more Marshally in flavor and can really get a wider range of crunch and distortion tones because it's not quite as gain-heavy. You can actually run the gain on that channel almost maxed before it gets to be too much. I really like it with the gain at about 6 and boosted with an OD pedal -- it can scream but responds well to picking dynamics and cleans up as you dial back the guitar volume.

If you're patient, you could probably find a Mesa Royal Atlantic 100 watt head used for $1000-1200. Very awesome amp, and wouldn't need any pedals to do pretty much anything you need.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've seen a few of those RAs on Reverb the past few months that were in exactly that price range. One even went for a whisper over $900...still kicking myself on that one. Those have all sold, though.

One theory is that their prices are dropping because of Mesa's latest & greatest, which seems to be a 50w RA+.
https://reverb.com/item/3483161-mesa-boogie-triple-crown-tc-50-head-standard-dress-black-taurus-black-taurus-black-carbon-vinyl-front-panel?gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corO0AiCDGZkJyaqs1mYT1C-dWzf_6pGXYOxJOk3z1RUxRoCNevw_wcB&pla=1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hi to all members showin' up here,
I would like to ask you a question. It's a bit tltr. I have a Harley Benton 20w amp, and I would like to change it to a better one. The reason is very simple: Me, and a bunch of friends like to jam together(bass,drums,guitars, with no singer so it's all fun), but because we are college students we can only do it 2-3 times in a year. So because there is a drummer, and the rest of the "band" has better(louder) amp than mine, I can bearly hear myself and the worse one is the other members hear nothing comes from my amp. So I had no problem with this until turned out that our "lead guitarist" can't come to the next one so I have to play the solos. The setlist contains bands for example Metalllica but there are Hungarian bands so the clean sound is important too.
Almost forgot: My "gear" is: Epiphone SG400 with a VOX stomplab 2g .

So the other important factor is the money. I have about $200 in HUF. You know I've been searching for amps and found a lot(Marshall MG30CFX, Behringer V-Ampire LX112, Fender Champion 40, line 6 spider iv 30, Kustom KGFX212) but realised that maybe $200 would be too much for a 2-3 times use in a year. Ok I would play on it when I'm at home, and I love to record stuffs on my PC etc.
So my question is what amp do you recommend for this kind of use(cheaper if it's possible)?
Last edited by piftakiller at Jan 20, 2017,
Hard to not recommend the roadster.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by piftakiller
Hi to all members showin' up here,
I would like to ask you a question. It's a bit tltr. I have a Harley Benton 20w amp, and I would like to change it to a better one. The reason is very simple: Me, and a bunch of friends like to jam together(bass,drums,guitars, with no singer so it's all fun), but because we are college students we can only do it 2-3 times in a year. So because there is a drummer, and the rest of the "band" has better(louder) amp than mine, I can bearly hear myself and the worse one is the other members hear nothing comes from my amp. So I had no problem with this until turned out that our "lead guitarist" can't come to the next one so I have to play the solos. The setlist contains bands for example Metalllica but there are Hungarian bands so the clean sound is important too.
Almost forgot: My "gear" is: Epiphone SG400 with a VOX stomplab 2g .

So the other important factor is the money. I have about $200 in HUF. You know I've been searching for amps and found a lot(Marshall MG30CFX, Behringer V-Ampire LX112, Fender Champion 40, line 6 spider iv 30, Kustom KGFX212) but realised that maybe $200 would be too much for a 2-3 times use in a year. Ok I would play on it when I'm at home, and I love to record stuffs on my PC etc.
So my question is what amp do you recommend for this kind of use(cheaper if it's possible)?

You really should start your own "What amp?" thread instead of piggybacking on this one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The roadster is definitely a killer amp and would be top of the list. If you want to save some of your budget I would put the rectoverb combo in second place, its 50W so should be fine given you are currently playing a 40W, its also a combo like you currently have so you should consider if you want to move a head and cab around or not. With the extra cash you could always pick up a 2x12 for when you want to beef up the combo sound.
splawn QR (on gear one blues is great). rivera k-tre, JSX (cheap but don't misjudge it by that), fryette sig:x (or a pitbull UL).

there is a buncha' nice options out here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
jimihendrix6699 since you're a Traynor fan already, how about trying their YCS50H 50 watt tube head? It might need an overdrive in front for some of the things you're trying to play but it is a very solid option, I think @ $1000 new.

https://reverb.com/item/1879154-traynor-ycs50h-50-watt-tube-guitar-amp-head

JCM2000 DSL or JSX with a 1960a cab (all used head+cab might be found about $1200) would do it too.
Quote by diabolical
jimihendrix6699
since you're a Traynor fan already, how about trying their YCS50H 50 watt tube head? It might need an overdrive in front for some of the things you're trying to play but it is a very solid option, I think @ $1000 new.

https://reverb.com/item/1879154-traynor-ycs50h-50-watt-tube-guitar-amp-head

JCM2000 DSL or JSX with a 1960a cab (all used head+cab might be found about $1200) would do it too.

+1

Peavey JSX: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitar-Amplifier-Heads.gc?Ntt=JSX+#narrowSideBar
Marshall JCM2000: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitar-Amplifiers.gc?Ntt=JCM2000%20&Ns=r
Marshall 1960A: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitar-Amplifiers.gc?Ntt=1960a%20&Ns=r