Hi there!

I have finally saved up to buy a couple of used/new pedals. I was just wondering, what pedals should I get? I am planning to get around 3-4 pedals for now. I currently have a BOSS DS-1 Distortion pedal and I am using a Blackstar 260 TVP amplifier, which has multiple channels (clean, crunch, super crunch and OD). I am planning to just use the amplifiers reverb and delay. I would like to have a set of pedals that would be able to play most genres as needed, but I mainly play rock songs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around $300-500 Canadian (power supply included). Thanks!
Asking what pedals you should get is like asking how long is a piece of string.

It could be worth buying a multi effects unit to experiment with, something like a Zoom G3. That way you can try out all the different effect types and identify what you do & don't want on your pedalboard. Buy used & you should get most of your money back when you eventually sell it on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Wanting to buy pedals for the sake of buying pedals is silly. You need to define what effects you actually want.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeffh40

I play a variety of rock/metal songs. I'm not sure if the built in OD of my amp is good enough or should I buy an OD pedal.
I've never played through that amp but looking it up, it looks like a modeling amp. You might be best off just plugging straight into the amp or maybe a tuning pedal if you have to have a pedal.

Either way, test pedals through your amp before you buy since modeling amps aren't known to take pedals well.
Quote by hahahahaha014
Hi there!

I have finally saved up to buy a couple of used/new pedals. I was just wondering, what pedals should I get? I am planning to get around 3-4 pedals for now. I currently have a BOSS DS-1 Distortion pedal and I am using a Blackstar 260 TVP amplifier, which has multiple channels (clean, crunch, super crunch and OD). I am planning to just use the amplifiers reverb and delay. I would like to have a set of pedals that would be able to play most genres as needed, but I mainly play rock songs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around $300-500 Canadian (power supply included). Thanks!
Modeling amps + drive pedals is typically a no no. They just are not meant to take pedals like that and they do not really react properly. If you wanted to use drive pedals, you would probably want to get a proper tube amp. Delays, reverbs, etc. are fine with modeling though, especially if it has an effects loop. Modeling amps themselves are meant to be a guitar > amp thing, so getting pedals for it is maybe counter productive.
A cool pedal that gives you a ton of options is the

Line 6 M5

You can find them used for $100, tons of effects to test out and see what you like and actually use. You could look into the m9 and m13 if you want more options. But the M5 does a lot for the money.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, a few pedals.
Quote by Will Lane
Modeling amps + drive pedals is typically a no no. They just are not meant to take pedals like that and they do not really react properly. If you wanted to use drive pedals, you would probably want to get a proper tube amp. Delays, reverbs, etc. are fine with modeling though, especially if it has an effects loop. Modeling amps themselves are meant to be a guitar > amp thing, so getting pedals for it is maybe counter productive.

This.

There are SS amps that take pedals well, but modelers + dirt pedals* = tonepoop

* "dirt pedals" are overdrives, distortions and fuzzes
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!