In the title. Looking for a guitar like that. Was going to possibly buy from Warmoth but wanted to save the time from building it myself and wiring it. Are there any possible cheap custom strat builders? Looking to spend under $1,500. Don't mind buying used. I love the start neck pickup sound and owned a mim one a long time ago. Sold it because the bridge pickup sounded dreadful and was too useless
you can get any number of Strats and just put in the bridge pickup you want. no need to go custom
And what to do about when it doesn't fit the pickguard?

Edit: are there companies that make custom pickguards for a decent price?
Last edited by 49GiantWarriors at Jan 18, 2017,
Over the years, Fret-King has made a few Stratclones with P90s in the bridge, but not miniHBs...at least, not that I know of. The have done more than a few unusual pickup congurations over the years. Still, P90s are close in physical dimensions...and some are close-ish in tone.

As for custom pick guards, there are companies out there that will do them for not too much money. Warmoth would be one option, Greasy Groove another. WDMusic still another.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As I recall, some of the pickup makers who make miniHBs also make mounting rings to fit their miniHBs in standard HB routes. Check Lollar, Rio Grande, Vintage Vibe, The Creamery and TV Jones to start. BKP, Wilde, and Kent Armstrong might also have something along those lines.

Because they're custom winders, Rio Grande, Vintage Vibe and The Creamery might also be able to make a standard sized HB with a more miniHB sound.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

49GiantWarriors

you can get single coil sized humbuckers that are direct fits. if you have to have a Gibson sized mini humbucker then you'd have to look for a pickguard that it would fit into. seems like a custom pickguard would be way cheaper than a custom guitar.
Rice is a custom builder who also makes pickups, including minHBs. I don't know what their current prices are, though. You'll have to contact them for a quote.
http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/models.php

Jon Kammerer could do it, for sure, but his current new guitars are starting @$2500.
http://www.jonkammerercustoms.com/8-8-16new-update_002.htm
http://www.jonkammerercustoms.com/8-8-16new-update_009.htm

Quote by monwobobbo
seems like a custom pickguard would be way cheaper than a custom guitar.

yeah that's what i would think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I will agree I'd go with a custom pickguard or single coil sized HB.

There are many HSS strats out there are you wanting a mini HB in particular?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 19, 2017,
Quote by 49GiantWarriors
And what to do about when it doesn't fit the pickguard?

Edit: are there companies that make custom pickguards for a decent price?

Yup.