So currently I have a Roland Cube 20GX and I am pretty much disappointed especially with the metal tones. I am going to sell this amp and buy another small amp for home use maybe a Blackstar HT1 with some sort of a metal pedal like the Digitech TL2 Hardwire for that extra punch.

Should I go for the Blackstar paired with the pedal or should I buy other solid state amps like the Peavey Vypyr? All I want is a good metal tone at bedroom levels.
The biggest one you can find, I guess? Still going to be a bit cramped if you want to use it as a bedroom, though.

Sorry

How quietly do you have to play? That's probably the biggest factor since everyone's idea of home volume will be different.

Also what's your budget? I can make an educated guess based on what you were considering, but it's easier if you just tell me (especially if the budget's flexible). EDIT: Also location (country) will help since that affects prices and availability. And what type(s) of metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
The biggest one you can find, I guess? Still going to be a bit cramped if you want to use it as a bedroom, though.

Sorry

How quietly do you have to play? That's probably the biggest factor since everyone's idea of home volume will be different.

Also what's your budget? I can make an educated guess based on what you were considering, but it's easier if you just tell me (especially if the budget's flexible). EDIT: Also location (country) will help since that affects prices and availability. And what type(s) of metal?

Well! Once I played a Blackstar HT5 in my room and it was really loud. So not as loud as the HT5.
Also the problem with my Roland Cube is that it cant puff off good pinch harmonics and also the legatos seems very weak.
My budget is 30000 INR i e roughly 400 USD. I live in India. I intend to play only metal especially Dream Theater esque fast solos and harmonics.
Last edited by cyruseternity at Jan 19, 2017,
I don't think the Blackstar in question is very much better than the Cube.

Concerning loudness, just use the master volume. That's what it's there for.

What's available in your used market for $400?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't think the Blackstar in question is very much better than the Cube.

Concerning loudness, just use the master volume. That's what it's there for.

What's available in your used market for $400?

Well! Sadly we dont have a used market here at all.
Peavey Vypyr would be better than the Cube for Metal. A Pod and headphones would be better still.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Peavey Vypyr would be better than the Cube for Metal. A Pod and headphones would be better still.

Even I am leaning towards the vypyr but I've heard many a times that vypyrs arent durable enough and they have some kind of a noise issue.
Quote by cyruseternity
Well! Once I played a Blackstar HT5 in my room and it was really loud. So not as loud as the HT5.
Also the problem with my Roland Cube is that it cant puff off good pinch harmonics and also the legatos seems very weak.
My budget is 30000 INR i e roughly 400 USD. I live in India. I intend to play only metal especially Dream Theater esque fast solos and harmonics.

yeah i mean most tube amps are going to be as loud as the ht5 I would imagine. either turn it down as t00deepblue said, or else if that's still too loud maybe... actually i'm not even sure an amp would be the best option. maybe something more aimed at really low volume home playing (like computer software)? I have no experience with that, though.

i find tubes (ideally combined with a tubescreamer or boss sd1-style overdrive pedal used as a boost) really help for pinches.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cyruseternity

I.d say that is mostly nonsense. A Vypyr is a low cost practice amp that does hi gain pretty well. In it's price range it is hard to beat. Don't confuse a Vypyr with a tour-tested Mesa Roadster though. Very different categories of amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have a Fender Super Champ XD and I love it. 15W tube amp, modeling works great for my level of playing and I paid 187$ US used on Ebay.
I know most people would recommend stupid loud gigging amps for the bedroom but I REALLY like the Yamaha THR10X. It's not much more than 200 bucks new. It's a desktop stereo type rig with the ability to record straight to your computer. It's pretty damn cool at its own thing which is a low volume practice rig. You can dial it back to get a fat type of stereo sound at talking levels.

Here's Satchel demoing it... he's a bit ridiculous but he puts it through the paces nicely. Just skip to around 2 min or so and 5 and a half minutes.. He talks a bit.

Last edited by cheesefries at Jan 22, 2017,
I'm going to second the THR 10 or THR 10x.

I really enjoy mine. The only thing I wish it had was a channel
Foot switch.

It can go quite loud if you want but also sounds great at low volume or through headphones.

See if you can find one in shop to demo

Edit

I forgot to add that it has a seperatly volume knob for the line in for your iPhone or iPad. I love using it to play drum tracks to play along with
Last edited by Garris at Jan 22, 2017,
You need the Laney Ironheart studio, to me it's the perfect metal bedroom amp. Check out the features it has way too many to list but there's nothing missing for bedroom playing and recording imo. It is a rack head so you would need a cab but it's a very worthy investment.
My Shit:
ESP Eclipse, ESP Horizon III, PRS Mushok Baritone
Laney Ironheart Studio, Blackstar Ht-40
Quote by strictly-diesel
You need the Laney Ironheart studio, to me it's the perfect metal bedroom amp. Check out the features it has way too many to list but there's nothing missing for bedroom playing and recording imo. It is a rack head so you would need a cab but it's a very worthy investment.

I have an IRT-Studio on the way. . . .

If you want tubes, check out all of the newer mini heads from Peavey - 6505, ValveKing, Classic or this Laney IRT-Studio.

Amp sims on the computer also make a great option.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Check out a Jet City 20 watt head. As far as I know thomann ships to places other than Europe now.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm?ref=search_rslt_jet+city_267059_4#

Plus a nice cab and you have a greate setup for home and for gigging or playing with mates in the future. Maybe you should think about getting an Overdrive pedal, the Digitech Bad Monkey is solid and cheap.

All the best
Oh, and thomann do ship to India.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
^ just check india's the same voltage (it may well be, I dunno)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?