What is the best solution for playing electric guitar in apartment?

I have looked up alot of tips but im not sure what to pick, a normal practice amp , audio interface with a software or a multi effect pedal? With headphones on every option.
Is anyone here experienced with arguements from a neighbor ? If so what can you recommend ?
I use amp sims (Peavey ReValver) with headphones for this purpose.

I also have a Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio on the way to try that out for something new (good deal).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Been using head phones with my pod lately. It gets the job done.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
No, sorry the xt crapped out and I just upgraded to pod hd. Works well with headphones. It's the bean one. I wanted to get everything up off the floor, but now that I've done that I kinda wish I had the floor unit. I miss the foot switches.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jan 19, 2017,
scott58 Ah okay, yea line 6 has been a top 3 for me for a long time, just need money You only use the line 6 plugged in to the guitar?
Last edited by anderssen at Jan 19, 2017,
Yeah pretty much with the head phones. When I plug into my amp I've got a few pedals I add to the chain. They all work well together.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I use headphones at times too. Through my Kemper, but the idea is the same as a Pod or w/e.
For the first 3 years I owned an electric, I played exclusively through a Korg Pandora Px4. I broke it (dropped it too many times) and bought another. Used that one almost 'till I wore it out, bought one more AND a Px5 Pandora. Also in that time period, I bought a Tascam GT-R1 because it has some different features.

And a Digitech iPB-10.

I still use those devices today for practice time, even though I have nice pedals & amp(s) because of portability, features, and silent practice through headphones. If I broke those, I'd look at the PODs and the Boss Micro-BRs or whatever was in the market in that niche, because they're excellent practice tools if nothing else.

The silence is a (big) bonus.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I live in a Townhouse, which is basically just a big apartment with another townhouse on both sides of me. My main rig is a 120 watt 6505+ head with a 412 v30 cab. Granted the 5150/6505 sounds better at lower volumes than many amps due to getting much of it's voicing from it's preamp, and I'll admit that it does open up when cranked, but I find it still sounds very good at "apartment" or "bedroom" levels.
Xander_X At the moment i also live in a townhouse but i live on the edge so only 1 next to me, but I dont wanna take the risk buying a amp, feel me?
I've never been able to get on with headphones - it could be a generational thing - so I've opted for a nice little tube amp that I turned down to about acoustic volume. If I wanted a headphone option, I would get a small SS amp, rather than a headphone amp or software, so that I had a choice of speaker or 'phones. I've tried playing through the computer, but I had a latency problem so I ost interest.
I have been playing with headphones. Now, so I can play properly with backing tracks without "making noise", I am thinking in buying a mixer so I can send both PC/guitar signal and get it to the headphones
Quote by anderssen
PSimonR Im not jeff hanneman

On a certain level, neither is Jeff Hanneman.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Also if anyone is playing with a software with Ipad, what is best setup to use?
Last edited by anderssen at Jan 23, 2017,
Quote by PSimonR
Two 200W Marshalls and four 4x12s.

Perfect for low volume master tone!!!
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
In my experience the best solution is developing a relationship with your neighbor so that you can get away with a decent amp at home. I remember being self conscious about my volume for years in this one apartment and eventually ran into the neighbor coming home from work. Turns out she signed up for guitar lessons after hearing me through the walls, and said I could turn up louder if I wanted. You never know who's living on the other side of the wall! If they're not diggin' it though, try to find times that they wouldn't mind a little extra noise.

For regular daily practice and/or if they hate you for making any noise at all, check out the Roland Micro Cube GX. I never could stand the headphone thing; something about that layer of separation bothered me. So, for playing the stuff that no-one wants to hear (technique drills, learning new material, etc) this has been a great solution. It's super cheap, sounds great for the price and size, and doesn't generate enough bass due to its small speaker to travel through walls very well. Plus its got a headphone jack, tuner, and aux in so you can practice along to jam tracks, drum loops, metronome, or whatever else you have on your phone/computer. It can also get surprisingly loud in a pinch; just used it to jam with a drummer yesterday and it kept up in the volume dept without even maxing the master.
I moved about a year ago to live with my partner in a terraced townhouse. Prior to that i was on the outskirts in a detached house and used to practice on a head/full stack which i obviously sold prior to moving.

I tried to use headphones on my old small combo amps but they sound horrible for anything but cleans (i heard most digital modelling amps sound great though)
Since moving the best solution for me was to just play through my computer on headphones. i bought a basic 1 instrument input audio interface and already had a headphone amp + decent studio monitor headphones as i use the pc for gaming. The sound you get from software is fantastic these days, full stereo and you can process it further in recording.

I will say though that i never practice after 9pm anymore, i got to know my neighbors and there is a young childs bedroom the other side of the wall. The acoustic noises coming from an electric, especially if you strum aggressively are still easily audible through the walls. Hopefully you have a modern apartment which should have good sound insulation so you wont have this problem. I occasionally finger pick or mime chords if i really must practice in the evenings.
Last edited by chrisazgo1 at Jan 23, 2017,
chrisazgo1 Yeah I have a audio interface but only the clean sound is good for me, if I put on dist it just gets blurry and cant hear a shit, through headphones. What software do you use?
Last edited by anderssen at Jan 24, 2017,