Ok, so I just received a Blackstar Metal HT1MH. It's sounds Awesome!! On lower volumes. But here's the catch, with the gain around half up or a tad higher with volume around half( happens still as you turn volume up just gets worse) it sounds very bassy and mushy. It has a ported cabinent ( closed back 2 ports on bottom) with a new celestian 70/80 16 ohm 12" 80 watt speaker. Like I said sounds amazing at lower volumes, couldn't be happier with it. But if I want to crank it occasionally ( not often) it sounds like crap. My questions are this 1) is it because the speaker isn't broken in yet? 2) should the ohms be 8 instead of 16 for a single speaker application 3) is the wattage rating ( I know wattage is subjective) too high for this 1 watt amp head? I don't want to get rid of this amp head as I love the cleans and heavy distortion and is perfect for my small house but occasionally would like to crank it at times, but not while it sounds like the way it does. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Stedke at Jan 19, 2017,
When you turn up the amp, roll off the bass a bit to clean it up (Fletcher-Munson curve). The tools are fine but it takes a while to master using them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Unfortunately this amp head doesn't have individual bass, mid or treble. It's blackstar infinite shaping, so a knob for volume, infunite shaping knob and gain. It has a clean channel and a gain channel.
Same as an Orange Tiny Terror, same tactics. All amps need a tone adjustment when making significant volume changes. That is just how sound works. Turn it down, add some bass or turn the tone control more towards the bass end. Turn up the amp and roll off the bass or turn your tone control more towards the treble side. It does require some experimentation with every amp to learn the sweet spots. There IS a sweet spot in that amp at high volume, you just need to find it... or spend more money.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Try using an EQ if you have one. You can get a cheap Joyo EQ on amazon for 40$
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
I'll have to experiment with that, so you don't think it has anything to do with the speaker?
The speaker is fine. Now if you are overdoing it with gain, every speaker will sound flappy and farty, even a Marshall 4x12 cab. Learn to fine-tune the gain, tone, and volume controls to get the best from your amp. Explore your amp and find the sweet spots at different volume and gain settings.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 19, 2017,
Ok thank you, I will expwriment after work tonight and report back.
Ok, so here's what happened. I tried adjust the tone knob and gain all over while changing the volume. On the dirty channel I could not go past a 1/4 on the volume without the farty hum. The notes still are audible but you hear that farty background noise while on the gain channel. Now if I was on clean channel I can just about crank it all the way even adding gain before it gets this other farty sound. (Understandable a 1 watt amp head will have a lot of tube breakup at this volume) but I don't understand why all the different settings I tried on the gain channel I couldn't go past about 1/4 in volume. I even went to the levels of going to my buddies and grabbed my 120 watt crate amp and tried the speakers in that to compare. The sound was even worse through those. So is this just the nature of the amp? I know it's youtube but I listened to a guy with the same exact amp head put it through a 212 cab and cranked it all the way and he didn't have that flabby bass sound in the background. Is this a tube issue?
I just got this in a trade :/ the guy was former military ( I'm currently in the reserves) so I tend to have faith in fellow military personnel , he said that he used it for a couple hours in recording and was just not the soumd for him, he said he had won it, this thing sounds AMAZING on the overdrive channel turned down. I'd even goes as far as saying it sounds as good as an all valve 100 watt marshall cranked I MO ( sound is subjective of course) but this has just got me stumped.
Could be a bad tube. Any time you pick up a used tube amp, you should always replace the tubes just to be safe. Doesn't matter if it belonged to your best buddy in the world.

I'll be in the minority here and just say the Celestion 70/80 speaker is shit.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I'll have to replace the tubes on next paycheck . I just can't believe it's having problems already. He claimed he hasn't used it much and that the speaker isn't even broken in yet. ( I plan on changing the speaker eventually as well) before I do tubes I'm going to contact the guy and see where he won it from and see if it's under warranty still. Only downside is I drove an hour and a half to pick this up. It did come in the original box, with all the Styrofoam, plastic and instructional cardboard piece wasn't even taken off the amp and owners manual still taped into the plastic cover,
Last edited by Stedke at Jan 20, 2017,
And to add more info I know it's not my guitar. I have a mim 60s reissue road worn strat with fender custom shop 57/62 pickups, upgraded saddle and term block and just had it pro set up about 3 weeks ago and have played it through at least 6 different amps since it was set up and never got this result.
Last edited by Stedke at Jan 20, 2017,
I don't doubt that it has a good overdrive sound turned down. The nature of amps is that when you turn it up the power section gets put into the equation. You can only have so much bass response with 1 watt. Especially if you want tight metal tones.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AcousticMirrorEven only turned 1/4 way up? Take it it's youtube, but there was a video of pure amp, no mixing board on the gain channel 3/4 volume and 3/4 gain and sounded a million times better than mine turned up a fuzz past 1/4, I saw that video and was like what the hell is wrong with my amp lol
OP, try the amp on ultra bright and maybe control some of the mud with your tone knob on the guitar...from what I've heard from these amps, I am not surprised that it is not good. I played these at the store loud and they were all duds like you describe, the whole HT range of amps is
Quote by ThunderPunk
Could be a bad tube. Any time you pick up a used tube amp, you should always replace the tubes just to be safe. Doesn't matter if it belonged to your best buddy in the world.

I'll be in the minority here and just say the Celestion 70/80 speaker is shit.

^+1 speakers are a critical part of your sound and I can tell you from experience that Celestian 70/80s are less than stellar, I had a set in a used 4X12 that I had bought thinking they would sound great because the cabinet said Celestian equipped when it sounded like crap I quickly removed the back panell to check to see if they were actually Celstians or if I had been ripped off. I was disappointed to find out that they were indeed Celestians.

They have been replaced now with Eminence Patriot series Swamp Thang/Texas Heat speakers 2 of each and the cab sounds great.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 25, 2017,
I will continue and try other cabs, as I don't want to get rid of this amp, that's out of the question. I love the cleans. I also love the distortion when it's not turned up past 1/4 volume.
Also I hooked up the cabinent with celestian 70/80 to my crate amp and it sounded like a completely speaker, no bassy mush or flubiness.
try running your ISF all the way to the left (American setting) as the bass is tighter on the USA site, also try using an OD pedal in front of the amp the turning the gain down - I'm not sure where you are running it currently - but if you are going for metal try gain around 12-1'oclock with an OD pedal set to clean boost in front to tighten things up. There are going to be some limitations to a 1W head. I had the BS HT5 head and could get metal tones out of it that were quite usable, but again there are always limitations based on the gear.
I'll try that after work, I can't even get the gain past 10 o clock with the volume anything past 1/4 volume. It's like it hits a brick wall in sound.
the volume knob really has nothing to do with how hard the power tubes are being pushed. Most tube amps don't really get louder after halfway. They just get more distorted.
I'm going to sweetwater and guitar center this weeknd. I'm going to play on one there and will know for sure if something is wrong with mine
So just got home from work and looked at suggested amp settings from blackstar. They suggest for metal gain to have the overdrive channel selected volume at 3/4 and the gain maxed out .I can't even come close to that.
Ok, so I took the speaker out of the cabinet and just looked to make sure everything was hooked properly and re- installed speaker ( which is new and so stiff I could barely press down on it) and it slowly starting to sound better. Am now able to turn the volume up to a little over over half with gain a little higher than before. It still has that bassy background sound still but not near as loud or mushy as before. This amp and speaker have very little hours on them. Is it true tube amp heads need to "Break in" ? Maybe the speaker is finally breaking in.
All speakers need time to break in. Tube amp heads not so much. The ht series are mostly solid state anyway so they should sound about as good as they ever will out of the box.
Forgive me I'm a pretty much a noob, but why are the ht series pretty much ss? No power tube? Is the power side transformer?
I have no experience with any Blackstar amp but try reseating the tubes. Always a good idea.

Replacing the tubes would be a good idea as well, or at least get 1 and rotate it through your amp and see if it makes a difference in either spot.

Also new doesn't equal good.

Try calling Blackstar's support and see what they have to say.

Do you have a looper pedal? If so run that into the amp for a few hours at higher volumes to help break in the speaker.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The 1 watt blackstars are shit IMO. They only have 1 preamp tube, the other one looks the same but is used as a power tube.

The celestion seventy 80 basically kills all the bass, even though the 1 watt power section doesn't produce much bass already. After breaking in, it's a bit better but still not a state of art.

Also it's spelled "celestion" not "celestian"
That amp isn't putting out enough power to produce clean bottom end. Has nothing to do with the tubes.
The "ports" on that cabinet are there for show; the speaker's resonant frequency pretty much eliminates the possibility that bottom end would be helped by what amount to random holes in the cabinet.
Quote by Stedke
Forgive me I'm a pretty much a noob, but why are the ht series pretty much ss? No power tube? Is the power side transformer?

it has a lot of solid state stuff going on. it has some solid state gain stages and a solid state phase inverter. it has a preamp tube and the other preamp tube is used as a power tube. it's about 50:50, really, tube:solid state.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds like they have the ports designed to resonate too close to the speaker resonance. Suggest you try a) blocking either one or both ports (just stuff it with marterial to try or b) filling the cab with accoustic foam (try a pillow to test it).
Problem solved guys, the speaker really just needed broken in. Didn't know it could sound flabby because it waant broke in