Does anyone know the model number for this guy? It's a March 1977 built Ibanez Artist. I've seen different model numbers and am trying to determine. For example AR420? The pickups and plain binding seem unique. Thanks!

There was no AR 420 in 1977.

That's more likely a 2618 with some aftermarket switching added. Pickups are likely aftermarket, and I'd need to see the sides of the knobs to tell if they're original or replaced with cheap Speed knobs. Nothing unique about the binding. The "cloud" tailpiece doesn't look quite right for a '77, either; perhaps it was taken off an earlier version.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 19, 2017,
Yeah, I think the switch between the neck volume and tone pots is aftermarket - i've seen loads of AR models with one or two switches above the knobs like they are on the AR420. Plain binding, and dot markers, probably indicate that this is a more basic model, but probably no less of a quality guitar.

It's really hard to tell the exact model though, since Ibanez had a really weird numbering system for the artist range that doesn't seem to follow any specific pattern, and the different models had different features at different times too. It could be a 2618 with the pickup covers removed, I can't really tell from the photo but it looks like they have no adjustable slug poles on both coils which would seem to match the type of pickup covers the 2618 normally had.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I found this 1977 2618 that was sold on Ebay and the description stated that the black pickups were original via special order. This 1977 has the cloud bridge and is otherwise very similar.

Also found this ad for the 1976 which has a straight bridge.

Attaching a closer look at the pickups and knobs. The pickups height is adjustable via those middle screws which may support the theory that they are original but are missing the nice metal covers. They are yellowing. Haven't taken them apart yet to investigate the wiring, but they seem original. The poles on the pickups are different from each other.

The bridge and tail piece show a corrosive petina. They do not appear to have been replaced.

It does seem to be a 2618?

not convinced that is the same guitar. the one in the add has a stop tailpiece your doesn't. the tailpiece on yours wouldn't be interchangeable and it doesn't appear that the other style was on guitar as the posts would be a little past where the bridge is (don't see any holes) the switch by the bridge is a coil tap which may or may not have been added later.

I'd check at an Ibanez forum as those guys would be in a better position to tell you exactly what you have. looks like you'll need a new bridge as that one looks terrible.
Quote by monwobobbo
not convinced that is the same guitar. the one in the add has a stop tailpiece your doesn't. the tailpiece on yours wouldn't be interchangeable and it doesn't appear that the other style was on guitar as the posts would be a little past where the bridge is (don't see any holes) the switch by the bridge is a coil tap which may or may not have been added later.

I'd check at an Ibanez forum as those guys would be in a better position to tell you exactly what you have. looks like you'll need a new bridge as that one looks terrible.

I'm not sure that there are any Gibralter 1 bridges around these days. That one can almost certainly be restored. The tailpiece in the ad, the tailpiece on that guitar and the tailpiece that I've seen most of these come with are all different, but I've seen some odd permutations in the past. At least one of the pickups is aftermarket (I'm not going to take the covers off any of mine just to check) -- both pickups would be identical in 1977, and these are obviously not. The switchery is definitely tacked on and non-original.

The boys on the Ibanez collector's forum are dead nuts on top of these guitars.