You know that point in your learning of a song where you have it technically perfect, but it doesn't sound as good as the real thing- so you have to attempt to mirror the "imperfections" of the actual guitarist? Well, in "Sweet Home Alabama" in both solos, there are some notes here and there which have a distinct "twang." I don't know how else to describe it! I've heard it in some other Skynyrd songs but I'm talking this one in particular.

How is it done? Is it a product of his particular playing/equipment, or is it an intentional thing by Steve Gaines? or Allen, whatever, I'm not worried about their names, just their music

At 1:29 solo 1 begins, and then at 2:40 you can hear in the second solo the "twang" as I like to call it.

Either way, I still rock out with Sweet Home!

what you're hearing there sounds like a compressor in conjunction with a relatively clean tone to me
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm not totally sure what you're meaning with the "twang", but are you talking about artificial harmonics? Not exactly at 1:29 but there are some at 1:33 - 1:35.
And then there are definitely some at 2:40 on that repeatedly picked note which is vibratoed the f out of
Quote by steven seagull
what you're hearing there sounds like a compressor in conjunction with a relatively clean tone to me

I've imitated the sound on accident here and there and I've said to myself "oh, that's that thing." In the song, it's a seemingly sporadic sound, probably due to the physical playing of guitar, and not an electronic effect. But I could definitely be wrong.

Quote by Majicmanmaj
At 2:40 it sounds like a pinched harmonic to me...

Cool, I think this is on the right track. I'm gonna mess around with this later. Thanks!