Poll: is "chronic illness" a legit disability (should be protected under the ADA or similar legislation)?
Poll Options
View poll results: is "chronic illness" a legit disability (should be protected under the ADA or similar legislation)?
ya
6 29%
naw
15 71%
Voters: 21.
Page 1 of 2
I've begun to notice this more and more that people are identifying as "chronically ill" on various social media sites. I was spurred to making this thread because I saw someone complaining about how their disability wasn't being represented in a diversity ad campaign and when I went to their page the first thing in their info section was "chronically ill, chronic illness activist/writer/blogger". I find it rather sad that the first thing you want to tell people about yourself is that you're "chronically ill". They didn't even specify what exactly ills them, unlike other "chronic illness" folks usually do.

Have you seen this? Is this an actual thing? How exactly does one represent "chronic illness" in media?

Is it just a made up thing so people can feel victimized without actually having to specify their disability? Was that a loaded question? Did my gun-language just now trigger you? Did my use of the word trigger just now marginalize you?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I'm chronically chill

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
We walk in different circles if it is an actual thing. Plenty of people have illnesses that might be described as "chronic" though. Maybe people find it a more useful way of ensuring a medical problem is noted without having to go "well, unfortunately I get stabbing pains in my anus frequently throughout my day and it causes me to spasm violently and shit myself slightly all the time sorry to be so graphic but you DID ask"

like how girls can get off work by saying they have "womens problems"

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
I'm chronically chill
also this
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
It doesn't just mean they like to get high all the time and listen to old school Beastie Boys?
i'm chronically da illest
yall just hataz

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've not heard anyone classify themselves as chronically ill without specifying, but the people who do specify and go on and on about it piss me off. This girl I sort of know once posted a massive rant on facebook about being mistreated for her irritable bowel syndrome. Like when did that stop being something to just be embarrassed about and maybe not share to hundreds of people.
Usually someone who is chronically ill doesn't have the sheer insanity to guilt-milk something that is completely crippling their lives so intrinsically so no, I have not encountered this.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Jan 19, 2017,
idk i just can't keep up anymore

are we supposed to talk about every facet of lives

like every day i'm surprised by what's acceptable to talk about

speaking as a gender fluid bi curious furry with a balloon fetish who identifies as a pirate
I smoke dat chronic
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

speaking as a bmw who identifies as a barely passable human being i feel persecuted by h8breeder and slapsymcnazi

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Maybe they fell foul of their chronic illness before they specified what it was?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Xiaoxi
speaking as a bmw who identifies as a barely passable human being i feel persecuted by h8breeder and slapsymcnazi

#bmwlivesmatter protest today at Xiaoxi's house gon be lit af
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by kalypto
idk i just can't keep up anymore

are we supposed to talk about every facet of lives

like every day i'm surprised by what's acceptable to talk about

speaking as a gender fluid bi curious furry with a balloon fetish who identifies as a pirate

Are we talking mylar or rubber balloons?
Quote by FrogstarWorldA
Are we talking mylar or rubber balloons?

i don't discriminate
Quote by k.lainad
#bmwlivesmatter protest today at Xiaoxi's house gon be lit af

#YesAllAlpineWhites
#JeSuisM3
#BringBackOurNaturallyAspiratedMotors
#ICantBreatheWhenUsingBlinkers
#TiresLivesMatter

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by kalypto
i don't discriminate

How am I supposed to know if I'm attracted to you or think you're a repulsive miscreant then?!? Harrumph.
I am chronically ill but I rarely think about it when it's not actively affecting me and I don't like telling randos what it is because TMI/don't wanna deal with doubters/irrelevant. Other people are more open about it. I don't really see a problem with either way of dealing with it.

Chronic illnesses can and should be protected by the ADA but obviously in this case the term "chronic illness" should include a number of specific conditions instead of being a free-for-all.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jan 19, 2017,
Quote by Xiaoxi

#JeSuisM3

Legit the only funny one but it is actually pretty funny.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I'm Illmatic.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Idk, I have acid reflux, which is certainly a chronic disease.

Is it debilitating though? Not really. It sucks and limits what I can eat and do sometimes and will probably kill me someday, but it doesn't typically hinder my day to day life. It just depends on what it is. Some chronic illnesses are much worse and some are more mild.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I have seen this since I started observing leftist/sjw facebook groups recently, where people talk about rampant casual ableism
most people aren't so up front with their medical issues - is this development of 'openness' (without speficics) a good thing? idk maybe
in those circles it kind of looks like searching for a badge of oppression
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Chronically lazy, until a Doctor decides that they actually do have a legitimate medical condition.
I mean there are definitely people who are chronically ill. But in the ER we also constantly see people who are "chronically ill" and just want pain meds
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
just for fun, here it is verbatim

Intro

Chronically ill writer/speaker/activist. Sex educator. Guinea pig parent. Genderqueer (she/her).

Founder and Owner at Chronic Sex
Founder and Owner at Not Standing Still's Disease

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by WCPhils
I mean there are definitely people who are chronically ill. But in the ER we also constantly see people who are "chronically ill" and just want pain meds

I'm certainly not denying that chronic illnesses are a thing, but I'm talking about how it's becoming an identity.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
guitarxo[/USER
I am disabled with a variety of chronic illnesses, but I don't think this is the proper forum to discuss it unless it pertains to music, such as arthritic hands, or if someone can recommend a quality stool to sit on for a bad back, perhaps finger exercises someone has found helpful, or even performance strategies regarding a particular limitation.. Make sense?
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm certainly not denying that chronic illnesses are a thing, but I'm talking about how it's becoming an identity.
gotcha, haven't seen too much of it but it wouldn't surprise me. I have an aunt like that and it's super annoying. Every conversation is about some illness she has even though she's extremely healthy.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Obviously, there are legit chronic illnesses that affect quality of living (Diabetes, PTSD, asthma, arthritis, sickle cell anemia, etc.), but they are all different in terms of how severe each case is, and how severe the illness itself is. I feel like some people with minor chronic illnesses ("I have to use my inhaler once a year to prevent minor difficulty breathing.") are trying to act like they need as much accommodation as someone with a much more serious case ("I have to do 3 nebulizer treatments a day, and I still have gone to the ER twice this month because I couldn't breath even with my rescue inhaler.").

I have asthma, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be when I was a kid, so I don't really even think about it unless it gets brought up or a random asthma attack pops up out of nowhere.This lack of perspective is what I think is the biggest problem for some people. In a way, it's almost appropriating an illness to try and be hip, which is the ultimate irony, since a lot of these """""chronically ill""""" people are tumblr to the max. Portlandia even made fun of these types of people on the episode TADA (Temporary Americans with Disabilities Act).

It's these types of people that make it hard for those with disabilities and illnesses to seek accommodations for fear of others thinking of them as someone just looking for attention, and they need to quit that shit, for real.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Hydra150
rampant casual ableism

the horror
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Hydra150
I have seen this since I started observing leftist/sjw facebook groups recently, where people talk about rampant casual ableism
most people aren't so up front with their medical issues - is this development of 'openness' (without speficics) a good thing? idk maybe
in those circles it kind of looks like searching for a badge of oppression

I earned my badge in 2008
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I heard an interesting statistic about how the proportion of workers in the US on disability has been rising even though the number of dangerous jobs is declining and also generally are safer than in the past.

I dunno what this means really.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Increased diagnosing capability and recognition of disabilities probably.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I hear that people with disabilties have been on the incline and decline since ramps and stair lifts were invented.
I've literally never encountered this phenomenon
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
V3n0m777
Hold on. I understand the frustration with people recieving benefits rhat don't deserve them, and the system is broken. I know a couple people that are seriously messed up that have been waiting for years. If you were to meet them and see their medical records you would be shocked that they aren't being helped. Yet their are people spitting out kids left and right to increase their benefits. The system is a mess, but let's not lose our compassion for the truly deserving.
Page 1 of 2