So,

I just got me a used Ibanez AF75 hollowbody fo 300 ish and I want to play that old-time rock and roll.

I'm thinking about swapping the pickups for some hum sized p90s. I don't think they sound bad, but I want a rockabilly vibe.

Any experience with some good cheap ones?

I'm thinking Rebel 90s, Mean 90s or maybe Buddha p90s. These would be 100, 79 and 130 for a set, respectively. I don't know how much more I want to spend because it's dumb to have a set of pickups that cost as much as the guitar imo

Are those woth it?

Should I spend more bones on some BG pure 90s or maybe Phat Cats?

Thanks
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Jan 20, 2017,
$100 isn't particularly cheap, but I don't know those in particular.

In that price range, my HB-sized P90s of choice are made by Railhammer.

Another option- especially if you'd like a rockabilly vibe- would be something like a TV Jones FillerTron or PowerTron humbucker.

Option #3 would be a Dirty Harry or Tallboy HB from Rio Grande. Those are both made with Rio Grande singlecoil-sized P90s in a HB housing. That means you get HB tones in standard mode, and when split, you get P90 tones.

And the Seymour Duncan P-Rail would give you a bunch of tonal options. Don't know how good their P90 tone is, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
$100 isn't particularly cheap, but I don't know those in particular.

In that price range, my HB-sized P90s of choice are made by Railhammer.

Well, the Mean 90s are the cheapest I could find. So I suppose 100 is cheap compared to the top end of the range, which seemed to be 300-400 for a set.

The railhammers would be 200 for a set. So more than any of the ones I listed. I could space them out maybe.

The TV Jones are about 200 for a set as well.

I'm not sold on the idea that the extra 100 smackaroos would really sound that much better, but I don't want to go through all the trouble of swapping pickups on a hollowbody just to get muddy crap either haha
Ah, you were talking per set! Sorry! My misunderstanding.

My personal experience is that good pickups can be a worthwhile tonal investment. I just recently swapped out some stock Wilkinson P90s- which are pretty good- with some Bareknuckles and the difference was quite noticeable. I mean, I would recommend the Wilkinsons for someone upgrading from something awful, assured that they'd be pleased. But the BKPs blow them away.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ah, you were talking per set! Sorry! My misunderstanding.

My personal experience is that good pickups can be a worthwhile tonal investment. I just recently swapped out some stock Wilkinson P90s- which are pretty good- with some Bareknuckles and the difference was quite noticeable. I mean, I would recommend the Wilkinsons for someone upgrading from something awful, assured that they'd be pleased. But the BKPs blow them away.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't clear in the OP.

Hmm. I'm just going to have set a price limit and go for it I think. I looked at Barknuckles as well, but that's a lot of cash. I don't know if the guitar is worth the investment in the big guns haha.
GFS Dream 90s have been around a long time, and come in a lot of different cosmetic versions, so they might have something going for them.

Another option is Gretsch-style low-output humbuckers. I've got GFS Memphis neck pickups in two guitars and one also has a Memphis bridge pickup. I like them a lot. They are similar to P90s insofar as they fill the middle ground between strat SC icepick and PAF warm, but not as hard-sounding as a P90.

IMO, a lot of one's pickup perception depends on the amp it goes through.
Contact Peter Bitloft at Vintage Vibe and tell him what you want, He made me some 7 string HB sized P90's and they are flawless. They come with spare magnets which are supremely easy to swap out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification