Page 3 of 3
Hi, another question, I've been learning fingerstyle on the acoustic guitar... just want to ask... must your 1st,2nd and 3rd finger on your right hand take care of only 1 string only (GBE respectively) and the thimb take care of the bass notes? i sometimes find that I naturally 'fudge' around when playing fingerstyle songs.. as in there are times when I don't follow the conventional style and instead use my index finger to play the D string and the middle finger to play the G string and the ring finger on the B string (as an example, I do this when playing an Am chord arpeggio -- where the low E string is usually not played)... is that a problem ? Should I be using my thumb to play the D string here ?
Most fingerpickers use the thumb on the three bass strings and the other fingers on the treble three as the default option, but there is no reason to stick to this. There can be advantages in being more flexible, especially if you want to play single-note melodies, where you might want to play several notes in quick succession on the same string as a plectrum player could, using, say, thumb and index.

FWIW, I rarely use my ring finger, it is mostly thumb, index and middle, with the middle doing most of the heavy lifting.
ejazz.gaznavi The thumb being responsible for the E A D and the other three fingers being responsible for G B e is a general guideline, but you'll have to deviate for it for anything other than the most standard pieces.

It's a good guideline for general positioning and a default positioning over changes or when you're unsure, but you should know how to get into and out of it as well. Many times you'll do single or multi-string melody runs that require alternating I and M or M and A across multiple strings.

At any rate, you should definitely make full use of the four primary fingers if you're learning finger style, it will only benefit you in the future.
My God, it's full of stars!
Page 3 of 3