Anybody have any experience with these, for some reason im gasing hard, i love the looks, and the idea, i would likely upgrade to some emg 81/60 pickups and some fender locking tuners.

not really looking for other options because i already know what id want if i got something different. just looking to see if anyone has any experience with the guitar? thanks in advance.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have both the Fender (MIM) and Squier versions and the Squier comes pretty close to the feel, size-wise, other than the Nitro vs. Polyester finish. The fret size and radius are similar except for the Ebony vs. Rosewood fretboard. The Fender comes with a very nice Black Tweed hard case.
Hey what's going on guys? Figured I would "bump" this thread with some questions of my own instead of starting a new thread.

So I should preface this by saying that Bass is my main/first instrument, but I have been looking to pick up a guitar as of late. Expecting a refund this year for taxes, and would like to start a project more or less.

I really like the aesthetics of the Jim Root Tele, dual Humbuckers, the finish, and the fact it is a Tele body with a hardtail bridge. I have always been leery of Squier in general (all my basses are Fenders), but from the bulk of the reviews I have read/watched (youtube) this seems like a pretty well built guitar for the $. I most likely will bide my time until one appears used at a good rate, and I intend on upgrading a few things (likely the pickups and tuners, potentially the bridge).

I currently have a Duncan SH-8 Invader (bridge) that I was going to use once I acquired a body, but from everything I have read-this pickup isn't really a great option for a Mohagany body (due to the natural "warmth" of Mahogany and the bassiness of the Invader, bad combo it seems). Would it really be THAT bad of a choice? I don't really care about acquiring EMG's like most people do with this guitar, and I am not trying to drop a ton of money on the Fender MIM model (although it is a really nice guitar). I will say I have seen the Fender Tele used around here in LA for a good rate, and upgrading the Squier could almost cost just as much as the used Fender-but I am also saving up for a EBMM Stingray as my next bass, so more or less I want to have a guitar that would fit my needs but not "break the bank".

To be frank I generally play anything from Punk (i.e. Descendants, Bad Religion, etc.), Rock (cKy, Nirvana, RATM) to Metal (Parkway Drive, As I lay Dying, and even Slipknot). I don't really care too much about how the "cleans" will sound, but I am just worried that it would be a "muddy mess" with an Invader. Could I compensate this by adding another style of pickup for the neck? Would a Pre-Amp, EQ type of pedal (I use a Tech 21 VTBass DI with my Precisions) help alleviate some of the tone issues that would arise due to this combination?

Anyways thanks for your time, I appreciate any input regarding the potential set-up I am looking at.
Last edited by highboltage55 at Mar 1, 2017,
inb4 thread lock for bumping old threads!
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Eh, this thread is only a month old. I'll let this one slide.
Quote by highboltage55

I currently have a Duncan SH-8 Invader (bridge) that I was going to use once I acquired a body, but from everything I have read-this pickup isn't really a great option for a Mohagany body (due to the natural "warmth" of Mahogany and the bassiness of the Invader, bad combo it seems). Would it really be THAT bad of a choice?

I'm not really a believer that the body wood makes a meaningful difference when the guitar is amplified. Especially when you're boosting the signal with so much distortion anyway.

I personally don't like the Invader regardless of what guitar it was in. I think there are a load of high output pickups that sound significantly more defined and more versatile than the Invader.

The amp that you're actually going to use for this guitar matters far more for tone than what humbucker you put in it anyway. What amp are you using?
To be frank I generally play anything from Punk (i.e. Descendants, Bad Religion, etc.), Rock (cKy, Nirvana, RATM) to Metal (Parkway Drive, As I lay Dying, and even Slipknot). I don't really care too much about how the "cleans" will sound, but I am just worried that it would be a "muddy mess" with an Invader. Could I compensate this by adding another style of pickup for the neck? Would a Pre-Amp, EQ type of pedal (I use a Tech 21 VTBass DI with my Precisions) help alleviate some of the tone issues that would arise due to this combination?

The neck pickup only makes a difference to how the bridge pickup will sound if you use both pickups at once. But high gain metal tones predominantly use the bridge pickup only.

EQ pedals are great no matter what the reason is for using one. But it seems awfully self-defeating to buy a pickup like an Invader and then use an EQ pedal with the intention of cancelling its tonal characteristics out. Why not just buy a pickup that is voiced the way you want it in the first place?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Hey thanks for not locking the thread, I wasn't aware you can't post on old threads (I frequent talkbass where it isn't an issue for example).

Thanks for the feedback, to be honest I currently don't have an amp. I would likely pick up an Orange or Marshall combo (need to do more research in their "voicing/character"), but the orange micro terror is also intriguing (even though it lacks EQ). I have two ampeg 2x10's for my bass rig but idk much on the tech side (if I could play the micro terror through them without damaging the speakers?)

I like the invader. Growing up I listened to a lot of blink , and Tom used it post dude ranch until he started using gibsons with the dirty fingers (flame away, I can take it). Mosr videos I watch on YouTube are metal shredders but so far they all sound good to my ears.
Last edited by highboltage55 at Mar 1, 2017,
Quote by highboltage55
Hey thanks for not locking the thread, I wasn't aware you can't post on old threads (I frequent talkbass where it isn't an issue for example).

Please don't get used to it. This thread is only a month old, it is a borderline necro. Please don't post in threads that have seen no activity for any longer than that in future.

If in doubt, raise your own thread. Your questions are a lot more likely to be answered that way.
Thanks for the feedback, to be honest I currently don't have an amp. I would likely pick up an Orange or Marshall combo (need to do more research in their "voicing/character"), but the orange micro terror is also intriguing (even though it lacks EQ). I have two ampeg 2x10's for my bass rig but idk much on the tech side (if I could play the micro terror through them without damaging the speakers?)

I like the invader. Growing up I listened to a lot of blink , and Tom used it post dude ranch until he started using gibsons with the dirty fingers (flame away, I can take it). Mosr videos I watch on YouTube are metal shredders but so far they all sound good to my ears.

Dirty Fingers are actually pretty dang nice pickups imo.

If you want to raise a thread concerning what amp you should get, feel free to raise one in Guitar Gear & Accessories.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend