Bought myself one of those Chinese Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinlines. I gotta say, the days of Chinese guitars being shit is over. This thing feels and looks like a real Fender. It comes with two P90's which I have to say are shit. I swapped out the bridge pup for a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 and it sorted the guitar out nicely. If I ever used the neck pup I'd swap it out too.
The only other questionable part is the tuners. They are Fender's "vintage style" tuners and they have that old fashioned slotted pegs. They seem to work well but as any of you that have used them you would know that fitting plain strings is a PITA. Ultimately I will fit Grover lockers like I use on my other teles.
Anyway, pictures:

As you can see it is the trans black version.
The bridge seems a bit flimsy, well the saddles do. I'll probably replace it one day too. But overall this guitar rocks. Don't be scared of the MIC part, this guitar is extremely well built.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They are so cheap, well if you aren't buying them in Australia. $1300 here, $500 in the US. So I bought it new from the US on ebay and even with postage and a crappy exchange rate it only set me back AU$700. We Aussies get hosed at retail outlets. This guitar has completely circumnavigated the globe and still I paid just over half price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Still, $500 is bloody cheap for the quality of the instrument. Spend another couple of hundred on pups and your set to go.

If I can sort out my recording setup I'll post some clips. Yeah, Mahogany body.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 20, 2017,
Yeah, it's quite light. 3.3kg which is a bee's dick over 7lb. Can't complain about that. My old injured shoulder loves it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 20, 2017,
i love me a light guitar. looks great cath!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I knocked up something quickly, It's just using one of my SLO patches on my Atomic Amplifire. Excuse the playing, I wasn't too careful.

https://soundcloud.com/cathbard/crossroads-thinline
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
is a bee's dick over 7lb.

LOL gonna have to remember that one.
My God, it's full of stars!
HNGD and I dig that slide playing very slick.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Sexay
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Cathbard
The only other questionable part is the tuners. They are Fender's "vintage style" tuners and they have that old fashioned slotted pegs. They seem to work well but as any of you that have used them you would know that fitting plain strings is a PITA.
I find them better than normal tuners even on the plain strings

HNGD though, sweet Tele.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Thanks, guys,

K33nbl4d3I far prefer Grover Lockers, no competition.

I think I've decided on a black Hipshot bridge for it too. I think the black one would look sexier on it and well, Hi[shot bridges rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, i do but the string keeps slipping across the slot as you start to wind it. I have to stick a thumbnail into the slot as I turn it. It's just a PITA. Grover lockers are cheap and very good so that's what it will get.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Bought myself one of those Chinese Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinlines. I gotta say, the days of Chinese guitars being shit is over.

It comes with two P90's which I have to say are shit.

Seriously, though, nice score, it looks badass. Trans black? Not really showing up in the pics, maybe just the sun's doing that.

Quote by Dreadnought
LOL gonna have to remember that one.

I wish I could unremember it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 22, 2017,
Quote by Cathbard
I knocked up something quickly,

same here! but that was years ago. ba dum tshh

great sounding clip, sounds huge.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
P-90s are the best pickup. Nice tele man!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
It is trans black. It's hard to see the grain though because it's mahogany. Mahogany doesn't have that pronounced a grain. I am yet to gig with it, it may show up better under stage lighting.

P90's are my sound. I have them in all sizes pretty much. Hell even my string has a humbucker sized P90. I have a SC sized one in another tele too. However, like all pickups there are good ones and shit ones. You can't expect good pups on cheap guitars and this was no exception. I had a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 in my desk doing nothing so I didn't care that the guitar had cheap shitty pups. I never keep stock pups in a guitar anyway. Pups are how one customises the sound of an electric guitar. And I customise pretty much everything I use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Here's something a bit more conventional. This is a snippet of Ramblin on My Mind done using a Deluxe model on my Amplifire.
https://soundcloud.com/cathbard/ramblin-thinline
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
(a) It is trans black. It's hard to see the grain though because it's mahogany. Mahogany doesn't have that pronounced a grain. I am yet to gig with it, it may show up better under stage lighting.

(b) P90's are my sound. I have them in all sizes pretty much. Hell even my string has a humbucker sized P90. I have a SC sized one in another tele too. However, like all pickups there are good ones and shit ones. You can't expect good pups on cheap guitars and this was no exception. I had a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 in my desk doing nothing so I didn't care that the guitar had cheap shitty pups. I never keep stock pups in a guitar anyway. Pups are how one customises the sound of an electric guitar. And I customise pretty much everything I use.

(a) Ah I see, I didn't realise it was mahogany, that makes sense

(b) I was only messing with you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
INCOMING HERESY: I like super thick lacquer on necks. These Chinese Fenders are pretty fun.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Congrats good to hear about the quality. I cna't vouch for other Chinese made guitars but I have a neck-through B.C. Rich that was made in China and it absolutely is on par with any of my other imports including my MIJ Jacksons and that includes my 1989 MIJ Charvel Fusion Custom.

The new price on the B.C.Rich was $999 IIRC I paid $499 used in near mint condition.

I have been wanting a thinline Tele for a few years now and at that price I may have to pull the trigger.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well with the advent of CNC routers and PLEK machines it doesn't really matter where it's made. As long as the workers aren't pushed too hard and quality materials are used who cares who is driving the buffer? You could train a monkey to do the finishing off process.

As for the gloss neck, if you don't like it, it's easy enough to remove.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 25, 2017,
It must be nice to have weight relief. My main gripe with my Les Pauls is that they start to hurt my back after 15-20 minutes.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
It is nice, I have an old shoulder injury so it's good for me. It weighs heaps less than my normal teles.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This thread made me play a tele for the first time btw.

Picked up a Baja Tele and loved it.
My God, it's full of stars!
I was having problems with sustain on this guitar. So I swapped out the bridge for a Hipshot one. All fixed. The original Fender one had flimsy pressed tin saddles so I suspected that it was the problem and it was. All better now. Looks better and far more comfortable too.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice man. That one has turned out nicely
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The woodworking on the guitar is as good as anything Fender make really, but the hardware is rubbish. Easy enough to change the hardware though. Tuners are the next thing to go. That can wait though, the ones on it work OK, I just don't like them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah the only things I ever worry about with the cheaper Fenders are the electronics and the hardware. In my experience the fretwork is pretty decent, and the fit/finish is solid.

And of course some of the pricier ones are just really pretty
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.