Hey everyone! I play a little bit of acoustic and decided to get into electric guitars. I went to a few guitar stores and did some research and I'm wondering what the best option is for a beginner. I'd be looking for the most versatility to play all kinds of music.

I was leaning more towards a Les Paul as he is fellow Wisconsinite. Ok besides that the necks are wider (unless that was just the models I tried) and I got some fat fingers. Also everything I played seemed to sound closer to what the songs actually sound like compared to a Stratocaster. It also sounded better with distortion. Also most people I looked up seemed to play a Les Paul. However when I looked up versus videos of a Les Paul versus a Strat I almost always liked the Strat better, but then again they were mostly sample cords and rhythms. So my question would be is this anything to go by as far as the accuracy of the videos? Can you just get pretty much any sound out of an amp? I'm just confused because when I actually tried them in the store I think I liked the sound of the Les Paul but the videos made the Les Paul sound so much more muffled and dull compared to the Strat.

If I should go with a Les Paul my main question is what is the best place to start as far as best bang for my buck. I've heard the cheaper ones actually aren't good for beginners as they don't stay in tune, and don't sound super accurate. Also there are cooler colors in the upper models. So it seemed to me the Epiphone Les Paul Studio would be a good place to start, but for about 70 more bucks I could get a Les Paul standard. Then from there if I pay about 80 more on top of that I get even better color choices, and coil splits with the PRO and PROII which seems very useful if I'm going for versatility. The PRO and PRO II is a lot more money than the Studio but my question would be is it a significant upgrade over the Studio? If so I would have no problem paying it if it is well worth it and will serve me much better in the long run. Or should I just get the middling Standard?

Thanks in advance the help is much appreciated!
Go with what feels better for you. You said that you liked the Les Paul better in your hands. Isn't that a better fit for you? When I was getting started I thought for sure that a Les Paul would be for me. Then I got an HSS Stratocaster in my hands and everything changed. Whichever instrument makes you feel good when you play it is the instrument for you.
diajkeene Thanks for the help, what you said makes the most sense I probably just overthought this whole thing. Wanted to not have to regret my choice of first guitar. Are you familiar with the differences between the Epiphone Les Paul models?
Can't speak for the LP variations, but before the thread gets too deep, it might be a good idea to know what the budget is here.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
When I first started looking neck size was an issue. I ended going with a Dean, but now that I've played for a lot of years pretty much anything iis OK. It's just a question of getting used to it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
which strats did you try? vintage spec strats tend to have narrower nut widths, but more modern style ones often have neck widths the same as a les paul.
Quote by WomboCombo713
(a) So my question would be is this anything to go by as far as the accuracy of the videos? (b) Can you just get pretty much any sound out of an amp? (c) I'm just confused because when I actually tried them in the store I think I liked the sound of the Les Paul but the videos made the Les Paul sound so much more muffled and dull compared to the Strat.

(a) Almost impossible to say, unfortunately. Strats and Les Pauls do sound different, but you might just prefer how the strat players had the amps etc. dialled in (or even how they were recorded). and just because you like how a strat sounds when played by someone else doesn't necessarily mean you'll like how it sounds when you play it if you just don't get on with them

(b) To a certain extent, but at the same time the guitar is very important too, especially if you're looking at such different-sounding models as a les paul and a strat.

(c) Yeah that's a difficult one to work out. I'd say try more guitars, if you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for your help everyone I have decided that I will go with an Epiphone Les Paul. Now I'm not quite sure which model. I don't know how to play a lot on the guitar so it is hard for me to actually test out the differences between them. Does anyone have a recommendation between the Epiphone models? The Pro/ProII caught my eye because of coil splits, however is that the only reason it costs 150 - 200 more than a studio, or are the pickups themselves actually much better along with maybe construction? This would clear a lot up for me in my final decision.
^ Do you have links to those? I don't want to advise you based on maybe misunderstanding exactly which model you mean.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The pickups will be 'better' on the more expensive models, and most of the pickups will be 4 wire anyway so you could always put in a coil split after the fact. Most of what you are paying for in the upgrades are the aesthetics - body binding, arched top, fretboard inlays, fancier colours and pickgaurds. If you are in the states you might want to check out a Rondo music agile, something like this
http://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-3100MCC_Wine_Red_GoldHW.html

To me a much better bang for buck over the Epiphone, offers everything the epiphone higher models offer with the addition of a 3/4' maple cap over a vaneer on the Epiphone, an Ebony fretboard over a Rosewood, pickups will be different but also offer coil splitting and will probably be $100 or more cheaper than the equivalent Epiphone guitar.
thanks. yeah the pickups are meant to be better on the ones with the coil splits, but I haven't actually tried the newer epis so I'm not sure how much better they are unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?