I plan to get a Kemper profiling amp for amp modelling to save me lugging my marshall all over the place. I would also like to use it for cab emulation, to save carrying cabs around, and mics and risking breaking my ribbon mics etc etc, so - could i plug the Direct output of the amp into the PA system, and save having to use a cab at all?

Thanks
Yes. But: a) you would then need to have the guitar coming back though the monitors and with no back line this can make playing with feedback more difficult b) the sound from the monitors would not be what you necessarily want, however the sound from the PA to the audience may not be what you want either and it is not possble to hear it (with a long lead on the sound check). c) the PA needs to be best quality to get the supplties of the sound that the Kemper produces d) you have to trust the sound engineer not to change it e) you might need to use a DI box, depending on the PA (or have a lead with the earth disconnected). f) if your guitar is in the monitor and there is only one monitor mix available then the other performers in your band could get to too loud for them to here their vocals - and therefore will sing out of pitch - so you need your own monitor mix g) what would you stand the Kemper on?

(Ribbon mics are for studios IMO)
Quote by aflanagan12
I plan to get a Kemper profiling amp for amp modelling to save me lugging my marshall all over the place. I would also like to use it for cab emulation, to save carrying cabs around, and mics and risking breaking my ribbon mics etc etc, so - could i plug the Direct output of the amp into the PA system, and save having to use a cab at all?

Thanks

That is how Trivium does it.

Quote by aflanagan12
could i plug the Direct output of the amp into the PA system, and save having to use a cab at all?

Yes.
What you'll want to do is set your amp exactly as you want it, with the cab and mics you want and take profiles of it in every setting you like and see yourself using. Then you've got all the sounds you would have from your exact setup straight from the Kemper and you won't need to bring anything besides the Kemper as far as amplification goes.

How to profile an amp is very well explained step-by-step in the manual of the Kemper and I suggest you'd check that out.

As far as Simons input goes, you won't need a DI-box as the Kemper has enough options for outputs without needing additional hardware. From my experience with both amps and the Kemper, the PA doesn't need to do more than it does when you're micing a cab to bring out the quality of the Kemper. There's less room for failure as the sound engineer only needs to adjust your volume since you're giving him a direct out and there are less things to break in your chain.