I just got my BOSS Katana 100 three days ago. What a great amp. Big, fat and very loud. While it is a 100 watt amp, I know I'll probably be using it on the 50 watt setting. I loved the sound of the amp itself right out of the box and I didn't think I would need to even try the online editor or add any other effects but after watching a video on YouTube about the online editor I decided to give it a try. Thankfully I did and all I can say is "Holy Sh*t" it is incredible!! The amount of effects options is awesome. Whatever sound you want, whatever type of effects pedals you can think of, it is available to download from the BOSS site free of charge. I initially thought that if you downloaded one of the effects you needed to replace one of the 15 effects that are already loaded in the amp. No, wrong again. You are just replacing one of the 15 effects choices on that one particular channel. As an example on channel one you may have the three Boss distortions that come loaded with the amp (BOSS Distortion, Overdrive and Blues Driver). Then on channel 2 you can download three other distortion pedals like the T-Screamer, Turbo OD, Muff Fuzz and again three more on channel 3 and another three on channel 4. This goes for all the other delays and mod effects (chorus, flanger, phaser etc.). You can have a total of 15 different effects on each of the four channels for a total of 55 effects. Once you set up the software it's as simple as hooking up your USB cable to the USB output on the Katana, choosing a channel slot and clicking on an effect from the online menu. Save that channel (or use the "Write" button the screen) and you've added that effect pedal to that channel. Even without the effects the amp sounds are really deep and punchy and for many people more than enough. The "Brown" sound on the amp selection is especially nice.

The 12 inch Katana speaker puts out some deep bass and the amp feels very solid. I am going to try it out tonight at a gig and I'm confident all will go well. This amp is great.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
All I can say is that the Boss Katana 100 Head is the best purchase I've ever made. It's so awesome! 
It's been on gigs with me now for a few months and am in complete agreement. Probably the most satisfying amp I have owned since my Fender Twin the 70's. It does everything I want it to do. I have the 100 combo version with one 12". I can only imagine how the 100 head into a 2 X 12 or 4 X 12 cab sounds.
How does the amp perform at loud volumes particularly with heavy distortion?? I'm not totally against the whole modeling amp I still practice with my little VOX VT now and then but at higher volumes it sounds ass.

If it is in fact really good I might consider getting one I love my JSX but a 32lb amp with a bunch of effects sounds so enticing for gigging...
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by UFC on VHS
How does the amp perform at loud volumes particularly with heavy distortion?? I'm not totally against the whole modeling amp I still practice with my little VOX VT now and then but at higher volumes it sounds ass.

If it is in fact really good I might consider getting one I love my JSX but a 32lb amp with a bunch of effects sounds so enticing for gigging...

I was wondering the same thing. An easy - to - use amp that will work for both my electric and my acoustic sounds wonderful, but I'm afraid of it losing tone when I turn it up high enough to compete with drums.
Death to Ovation haters!
The Katana in a sense is not a modeling amp. It doesn't try to emulate other amps. For instance my Vox VT series amps are definitely modeling amps that actually have amp setting names on them like "Tweed" and "UK Metal" etc. The Katana doesn't have amp modals or act like a modeling amp (at least not to me). As far as volume I have the Katana 100 that has three watt settings 1.5 watts, 50 watts and 100 watts. I don't play loudly at all as I gig mostly in smaller clubs and restaurant type rooms. I have only used the 50 watt setting and even at that level it's very loud. I keep the master volume about 10:00. 

I played this past Friday and Saturday in two different places with two different environments. Friday was an upscale restaurant where we need to keep the volume at a minimum for the first two sets (light rock/pop). With my VOX VT amps I found that lowering the volume sometimes hurt the low end tone too much and the sound could get a little thin. The Katana has a decent 12" speaker and doesn't loose the bottom when lowering the volume. On Saturday I played one of my favorite "shot and beer" bars doing 70's 80's classic rock. The Katana was great in this situation. On the 50 watt setting it was much more than I needed. 

In two weeks my band is playing an outdoor gig at a club on a lake where we play right out on the boat dock (they have a big outdoor bar). We use a bigger PA and get to play loud. I'll post something after that gig and let you know what the Katana was like at a much higher volume. 
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 8, 2017,
Quote by Rickholly74
The Katana in a sense is not a modeling amp. It doesn't try to emulate other amps. For instance my Vox VT series amps are definitely modeling amps that actually have amp setting names on them like "Tweed" and "UK Metal" etc. The Katana doesn't have amp modals or act like a modeling amp (at least not to me). As far as volume I have the Katana 100 that has three watt settings 1.5 watts, 50 watts and 100 watts. I don't play loudly at all as I gig mostly in smaller clubs and restaurant type rooms. I have only used the 50 watt setting and even at that level it's very loud. I keep the master volume about 10:00. 

I played this past Friday and Saturday in two different places with two different environments. Friday was an upscale restaurant where we need to keep the volume at a minimum for the first two sets (light rock/pop). With my VOX VT amps I found that lowering the volume sometimes hurt the low end tone too much and the sound could get a little thin. The Katana has a decent 12" speaker and doesn't loose the bottom when lowering the volume. On Saturday I played one of my favorite "shot and beer" bars doing 70's 80's classic rock. The Katana was great in this situation. On the 50 watt setting it was much more than I needed. 

In two weeks my band is playing an outdoor gig at a club on a lake where we play right out on the boat dock (they have a big outdoor bar). We use a bigger PA and get to play loud. I'll post something after that gig and let you know what the Katana was like at a much higher volume. 

Can't wait to hear the results good luck at your gig.

I'm very tempted to sell my 6505 combo and get one of these all the reviews I watch seem to shy away from showing off any sort of crunchy metal rhythm which I don't like other than that it sounds amazing.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112