I have been trying to figure out a way to quickly go from standard tuning to half step down.

It got me thinking...couldn't I put something in the cavity to simulate depressing the term bar down 1/2 step?

I use dive only.

So add black to drop 1/2 step...remove block to return to standard.

Would this work?
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that a Floyd will drop all strings exactly the same amount.
I heard that evh had some sort of stepped Floyd that had some sort of locks...I can't find it again.
Quote by rs_herhuth
I heard that evh had some sort of stepped Floyd that had some sort of locks...I can't find it again.

The D-Tuna changes ONE string and needs to be calibrated expressly for that string.
Quote by dspellman
The D-Tuna changes ONE string and needs to be calibrated expressly for that string.

I didn't like the dtuna on my Wolfgangs. and OP, keep in mind that you can't pull up with it, as the trem is decked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah I have the dtuna and tremol-no. That's what gave me the idea is locking the teen for dive only...it restricts the trem to return to the standard tuning. If could move that forward it would lower the tuning no?
Quote by rs_herhuth
Yeah I have the dtuna and tremol-no. That's what gave me the idea is locking the teen for dive only...it restricts the trem to return to the standard tuning. If could move that forward it would lower the tuning no?

Once again, there's no guarantee that all the strings will lower the same amount. In fact, when I tried this on my Floyds, none of them dropped a half step equally (in tune). I use a Variax, which will easily do alternate tunings with a Floyd (though the only guitar they sell that has a Floyd is the JTV-89F). String tension never changes. You could also use one of the drop tuning pedals, which track the existing tuning and drop it in half-step increments. You could also attempt this with one of the motorized tuners, like the Tronical, but you'd be limited to a very short range of drop before the whole thing got so floppy it was unusuable (these things change the string tension).
Yeah I just tried it to...not to mention the intonation kind of goes whack too. I can't believe no one has figured out a way to do this yet.
Quote by rs_herhuth
Yeah I just tried it to...not to mention the intonation kind of goes whack too. I can't believe no one has figured out a way to do this yet.

It's really not that surprising that nobody has figured out how to do it. It's physically impossible. That's why most people don't use their Floyd guitars for multiple tunings, and have more than one guitar.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by rs_herhuth

I have the answer. buy another guitar
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I second the motion. The Variax seems pretty cool, but if you don't want to spend $500-600 for a used one, finding an extra axe for another tuning should be pretty easy. I mean, a Squier Bullet runs around $60-70 used.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
It seems to me that, if it is only used for dive bombing, then SIX of the EVH drop tuners would work...

...however, they would be more than you might get a 2nd guitar for!

Incidentally, I've built a guitar and it had a cheap Chinese "Licensed" Floyd; the trem arm fitting was rubbish, so I replaced it with a Schaller one (actually, the seller refunded me my £11 when I contacted them, so it just cost me £9 for the Schaller arm!). I'm not sure if it's up to the rigours of the road, but it might be good for a one-off song.
Quote by rs_herhuth

Actually Steinberger figured it out 30 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransTrem

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Actually Steinberger figured it out 30 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransTrem

Forgot about them. I did try one however, and it worked pretty much as advertised. What I didn't like was the fact that the string tension changed each time (as did bending, etc.) -- and it was fairly limited. That may be part of the reason that it was never wildly successful. In addition (as I recall) it required double ball end calibrated strings, which weren't cheap and weren't easy to find. I think the newest version (probably eight or nine years old now) eliminated the need for double-ball end strings and changed a few other things. Alan Holdsworth had one on one of his headless guitars for a long time.
Okay I locked the tremol-no loosened the nut tuned down 1/2 step locked the nut loosened the tremol-no fine tuned it a worked like magic. No spring adjustment necessary. Now for standard tuning I capo the first fret.

And I do have 3 other guitars but they don't scream like my evh.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

That's what I did. There's just no easy way to change tunings with a floating FR.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by rs_herhuth
Now for standard tuning I capo the first fret.

Seriously. You used a capo.
Quote by DarthV
That's what I did. There's just no easy way to change tunings with a floating FR.

Other than a pedal or a Variax.