Page 1 of 2
I need to try and persuade my parents to let me get an electric guitar, I have a classical acoustic at the moment but it's not really the right guitar for the style I play, nor a very good guitar, how do I persuade them to let me get an electric?

EDIT: they've now come round to me buying it myself, but my dad says I have to play stairway to heaven flawlessly before he'll help. 😂😂
EDIT: they're still not keen
Last edited by Gg52 at Mar 15, 2017,
Well, when I was young my parents wouldn't let me get an electric until I was playing for over a year because they're generally more expensive and they wanted to make sure I'd stick with it. So, if that's the issue, I recommend proving to them that you won't give guitar up. But most parents, in my personal experience, just hate how loud they are, and if that's the issue, you have two options, get a small crappy amp, or you could just buy a head and plug some head phones or earbuds into it which will eliminate the sound entirely.
Too many motards...
Quote by Roc8995
Thread was moved to forum: The Pit

That's kind of dick thing to do to the kid, don't you think?

Quote by SynysterGecko
or you could just buy a head and plug some head phones or earbuds into it which will eliminate the sound entirely.

Unless you have an amp that is specifically designed for headphone use, that’s a perfect way to fry an amp.

get a small crappy amp,

Not all small amps are crappy, you know. Besides, amps have that volume knob thingy for a reason, right?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jan 21, 2017,
theogonia777

I also think it should have stayed in the electric guitar forum.

Tube amps yes, apparently most SS no. I'm guessing that most SS amps have a headphone out, and they are more likely to be in beginner territory than tube amps, eg Roland Micro Cube, Yamaha THR.

I agree the "crappy"and "small" don't necessarily go together at all, and as you say, the volume knob works wonders on a big amp.
So yes, if he does get an electric, what he will need is a new amp
Quote by NeoMvsEu
So yes, if he does get an electric, what he will need is a new amp

too bad he's asking for an eletric guitar

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
we gonna rock down to
eletric avenue
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
learn to rock on an acoustic.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Gg52
I need to try and persuade my parents to let me get an electric guitar, I have a classical acoustic at the moment but it's not really the right guitar for the style I play, nor a very good guitar, how do I persuade them to let me get an electric?
i mean nobody here knows your parents (except whoever makes the joke about having had relations with your mum) but look at the reasons you want an electric, decide which ones are good and which ones might align with your parents' interests and use those as best you can, generally be a good kid who deserves to get nice things

there's not much of a science to it and there aren't really any reasons that will much benefit your parents, it's also going to be a fair chunk of cash for anything that isn't crap

i guess the biggest question is whether "let you get" an electric means let you spend your own money on one or buy you one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
My bad. I thought the thread said "How to get an eclectic guitar".
2 words: Birthday Present

Also, amazon sells these cheap (probably not too great quality) guitar kits that include a starter set of picks, the guitar (often times an off-brand fender strat knockoff), some cables, a guitar strap, and a tiny amp (looks like 10w small little square amp)

And I know we're talking about amps, wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to buy something like a small interface (like an iRig for example) and hook his new electric guitar to his computer then play through the software's amps?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at Jan 21, 2017,
Quote by Parac
2 words: Birthday Present

Also, amazon sells these cheap (probably not too great quality) guitar kits that include a starter set of picks, the guitar (often times an off-brand fender strat knockoff), some cables, a guitar strap, and a tiny amp (looks like 10w small little square amp)

And I know we're talking about amps, wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to buy something like a small interface (like an iRig for example) and hook his new electric guitar to his computer then play through the software's amps?

Would sound like shit, wouldn't it? Probably not a whole lot worse than that 12 watt Electar Amp, but would sound worse. Unless you have killer speakers hooked up to your computer.
I have a Roland Cube, it's not bad and pretty cheap. Has a headphone jack. Like most small amps sounds like shit when it's turned up but that's what my Peavey JSX head is for
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Well my family was poor as shit when I was a kid and my mom said"I'm never buying you an expensive ass toy you'll never use" So I got job doing yard work. I was 13 at the time. A week and $300 later i bought a used crate amp and a brand new Wasburn Rx 10. My point is if they won't get you one just buy your own. chances are it would be faster than waiting till a holiday or your birthday and they might not even get you one.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Get a used one from eBay, like an ESP LTD or even a knock off strat, most of them sound pretty decent even with the standard PUPS. You can't go wrong with a well known, reliable but affordable guitar for a first guitar ... can't say the same about amps though, you definitely get what you pay for in that department.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
"I'm never buying you an expensive ass toy you'll never use"

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
SynysterGecko I've told them I'd use headphones and I've been playing for over a year but they just won't let me
Save up, move out of home, get new guitar.

Worked for me.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Tony Done yeh I've looked into what I want/need and they know I'll get the money, especially bcos it's my birthday soon, and I don't think chores will help they're kinda just expected
Parac I was looking at some starter packages and there were a few around the 200 range on guitarguitar that were alright and came with an amp a few picks and stuff
Quote by Gg52
MurrcuryFoxx I, buying it myself but I'm still not allowed

Oh well no offence but your parents sound like dicks. Could try just buying on and seeing what happens.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Go get an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Can pick them up $300 used, and they are supposedly pretty good. If you like Les Pauls.

I'd happily sell you my MIM Strat for $400, including a nice case. I think it's a 60th anniversary edition of some kind, all white. I hate it.
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM

Yeah but it's worth it because you just never know when you have to have one shaped like a dragon's
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just save up and buy it yo-damn-self. My parents hated the idea too. I still remember the look on their faces - almost 30+ years ago - when they saw me standing there with a crappy '82 Hondo Les Paul copy slung over my shoulder rockin' in my bedroom. You just gotta break that ice, rock'n'roll isn't pretty.
I have a few suggestions:
1) Show them that you can get a guitar on Gumtree for £20/$30, and then reason with them by asking "why the fuck not?". The Yolo Fallacy may be invalid in a rational debate, but it's fine for your parents.
2) Save up your lunch/pocket money and get said £20/$30 guitar. When I was a kid I didn't eat lunch for months, because I was saving for a PS2. I eventually bought the PS2, with Tomb Raider and FFXII.
3) Subtly threaten to start taking heroin if they don't let you embrace your hobbies. Tell them only poor kids can't follow their dreams. Ask rhetorically if you're a poor kid.

You can also agree to meet them halfway on the cost if you have the dosh.
Last edited by ebola666 at Jan 22, 2017,
If it's a question of 'letting' you have one, just save up, buy one and bring it home when they're not around. If they try to have you get rid of it then that'd be really nasty, but most likely they won't once they see you did it anyway. Good on you to be willing to work for it btw, good luck.
Here's my take from the parent's side/devils advocate:

Kids want new shit all the time. Mine are younger and can't get jobs, so them buying their own just isn't feasible. That said, we look for themes on what they do like for birthdays and Christmas. Go into a toy store, and well, they want everything. The compromise is a wait and see. If they continue to keep interest, that's a clue to keep it on the short list.

If you can get a job and buy your own stuff, DO IT. Well, maybe not if it's like meth, but it's easier and shows you're maturing if you get your own stuff rather than badger them for it. In some cases, if they see you're serious about it, they might help out. There's a lot of if's, but if you can make it happen, you should do it. What's a priority for you is probably not the same priority for others.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
You can find used Squires and Epiphones in pawnshops for $80 - $125. "Starcaster" is Fender's cheapest licensed Strat type and are known to show up at $60.
My first electric was a 70s era Harmony H80T which is a cult classic Japan knockoff Stratocaster.
bjgrifter ok, well I've wanted one for a good year now and I've been playing my acoustic pretty much everyday and I don't have lessons I'm teaching myself so hopefully something ,ight happen for my birthday coming up
Page 1 of 2