I'm getting a new guitar soon as my current guitar is from a £100 Stagg beginner's kit. That kit came with an amp but it's a really nasty, crackly cheap one.

I was planning on buying a Marshall MG15CFX but I've just read a thread saying that it really isn't a good amp, and it isn't even really a Marshall in build quality, it just has their name on it.

So my question is: what would be my best bet for under £150? I know very little about amps, so I don't know what is meant by "Tube amp", but I've heard they're the best. I play a lot of grunge, among other kinds of rock; everything I play involves high gain. I don't mind ordering online as long as it's not used (preferably from Amazon).

Thanks

EDIT: So I've been researching since posting this, and I now understand amps a little better. So you have the head that actually amplifies the signal, and that has the controls on, and the signal then goes to the cabs which are just speakers. A combo combines the 2. I'm now thinking I might keep my cheap combo and save my money a little longer to get a head and a cab which will be more useful in the future. Thoughts on this?
Last edited by theprimeginger at Jan 22, 2017,
I'm guessing you're still only looking for something to use at home for the forseeable future? That being the case, add the Peavey Vypyr & Vox VT series to the amps mentioned by Udjine.

It's also worth considering purchasing a multi effects pedal instead, something like a Zoom G3. That can create all the different sounds you can imagine, be used for headphone practice (as can the modelling amps already mentioned), and if you have a home audio system with an aux input can also be played out loud using that.

If you think you're ready to start practicing with a band & maybe gigging, it becomes a different question altogether.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the answers so far. I actually would like something that would at least allow me to jam with a band. Im hearing good things about the Orange Micro Terror. Is that much room for expansion with that? Could I buy more cabs and use the micro terror for them or is it not powerful enough?
If a drummer is involved, the Micro Terror is unlikely to be enough. To be honest, you won't find something powerful enough at that budget, even going used you might struggle.

As you're potentially looking to play with a band & like high gain, I'd recommend checking out Jet City's 20 watt amps on Thomann. They're over your budget new, but you may be able to find one used on ebay. The best option IMO is the JCA22 head with Thomann's Harley Benton branded vintage cab, but you'd be lucky to find one second hand.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Used Jet City or Laney. Scour CL and musician forums in your area. No enough dough yet? Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors until you can afford a decent amp to gig. 15-20w tube or 60w SS is usually just enough.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY