Page 1 of 2
No that NAMM. I mean winter NAMM winter 2017. Any new guitars catch your eye during the convention or new gear? For me I am digging the DD 28, the outlaw D18, and the Aged D28. Martin is trying out do themselves this year.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Strandberg stand were gr8, especially everything per nilsson was in

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by sashki
I was hoping to see the EHX Mig50 reissue but no-one seems to be reporting on it.

I know how you feel Ive been waiting on them to report on some Takamines myself.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Jan 22, 2017,
I don't really keep up with NAMM, but this is one of the best performance / demos i've ever seen at one.
I love his guitar!

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by EpiExplorer
Strandberg stand were gr8, especially everything per nilsson was in

I can't think of a better word than "over-engineered"

those frets smh
My God, it's full of stars!
k.lainad

I've seen that demo I don't know how many times still sick af

The Guthrie demos at NAMM are always great. The Tosin Abasi demos are always sex.

All I look forward to with NAMM is the artist performances. Everything that's being demoed is just meh. If I want a Suhr or a Strandberg or a Carvin or something I already know that I have to order that shit.

Now playing at NAMM one day to demo someone's gear? Hell yes #lifegoals
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dreadnought

those frets smh

watchu know bout equal temperament foo'
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Nothing

But I know that guitar looks mad ugly
Quote by Dreadnought
Nothing

But I know that guitar looks mad ugly

psshh, dis funk soul brutha lost all his funk soul
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.
Good night, sweet prince.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.
Good night, sweet prince.

But is it as good as +6 treants?
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak

Now that 200 millionth guitar is a ugly guitar and it just sounds horrible. The D200 sounds great though.
Quote by EpiExplorer
But is it as good as +6 treants?

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

god

DAMN IT, WALTER
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Everything's a fucking travesty with you, man
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Dreadnought

those frets smh

Just because you can't identify intervals harmonically

Quote by EpiExplorer
watchu know bout equal temperament foo'

I can probably rival your understanding of ET tbh
I can rival most people's understanding ET tbh
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
Just because you can't identify intervals harmonically

that is inaccurate

also, relevance??
Quote by Dreadnought
that is inaccurate

also, relevance??

Alright, if I play A at 220Hz and the D above at the same time what pitch do I adjust to set at .99 beats per second?

None, I just knew you'd get annoyed
Especially if I said it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Dreadnought

those frets smh

True Temperment frets have been available for years on a wide variety of guitars.
Nothing invented by Strandberg.
You can put a set on your Squier if you like.
Quote by dspellman
True Temperment frets have been available for years on a wide variety of guitars.
Nothing invented by Strandberg.
You can put a set on your Squier if you like.

No thanks, I don't need silly squiggly frets, ESPECIALLY not on the centerpiece of my gear
Quote by Dreadnought
No thanks, I don't need silly squiggly frets, ESPECIALLY not on the centerpiece of my gear

That's right, keep 'em straight, the way God intended
Quote by Dreadnought

I agree. It is really nice guitar besides the frets, could you imagine trying play some decent slide on it?
Blackwaterson89

*Tries to find someone engaging Ry Cooder mode on a true temperament or fanned fret guitar*

*Cannot*

*Acknowledges limitations of YouTube*

b-b-b-b-but intonation at every point of the fretboard should be advantageous to slide players as well. I understand that dissonant overtones and extraneous subfrequencies caused by a lack of intonation are a cornerstone of RnB, but squiggly frets have undeniable advantages.

If you were forced to play a true temperament neck for 6 months, you would be converted. I understand, aesthetically, it might look like a terrible waste of 2 grand.

But objectively speaking, your straight fretted guitar isn't in tune. Period. It's not a piano, where you can tune each course of strings perfectly (hence why the well tempered klavier changed music forever) Guitars are (in terms of ratio/division of intervallic structure across the fretboard) retarded.

Guitars have a limited ability to tune the instrument to itself. I.E, tuning the instrument to an E in the open position makes it subtly (sometimes dramatically) out of tune at the 12th position.

True temperament necks aren't over-engineered. They are sufficiently engineered.

Of course this lack of perfect intonation is one of the guitars charming qualities. Because we can bend into tune, or slide into tune etc...

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Shredwizard445

I'm willing to bet the variance in pressure from a person's fretting fingers affects the pitch qualities and intonation of a well-made, regularly fretted guitar significantly more than non-squiggly frets.
Like, the different pressures that I exert on strings when I fret them and while playing has a wider variance on my note pitch than traditional, straight frets. As in the squiggly frets don't change enough to account for the fact that my human fingers pressing on the strings will fuck up the pitch to some small degree no matter what.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Blackwaterson89

But objectively speaking, your straight fretted guitar isn't in tune. Period. It's not a piano, where you can tune each course of strings perfectly (hence why the well tempered klavier changed music forever) Guitars are (in terms of ratio/division of intervallic structure across the fretboard) retarded.

I thought the tuning system used in pianos also made compromises though?

The only things that can be in tune are fret less instruments, the voice, theremins, that sort of thing.

On topic: The Digitech FreqOut looks p cool
Duaneclapdrix you're completely correct, the piano can never be truly intonated as it is a stringed instrument.

However, due to it being a series of courses of strings that aren't being divided constantly along a uniform series of metal bars with a non uniform series of single strings it will still hold intonation a little bit better in the various positions of the keyboard. It is no where near perfect, but is closer than the guitar.

Dreadnought you are equally correct. Yes the pressure that you exert on the strings is a chunk of why intonation is not constant across the fretboard. And yes, if you press hard enough a note will go sharp, even if the fretboard is tempered.

But the architecture of the tempered platform allows for your intervallic structure to be uniform (in a standard tuning) across the board. I.E playing a harmonic in one position will resonate appropriately with its equivalent in a different position.

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Duaneclapdrix

Also, temperament by definition is a tuning where compromises in terms of imperfect intervallic intonation are made so that intervallic harmony can occur in multiple octaves in an established system.

Exactly, I would give a shit about such a fretboard if I had a couple stacks to drop on a caparison or something.

Agile makes "budget" fanned fret seven strings tho. Might get me one of them.

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
It still wouldn't play slide right. The frets are not straight. You have slide right on top of the fret to get the right note, anywhere else and it sounds out of tune. You could do it on fretless guitar if you have really good ear.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Blackwaterson89

b-b-b-b-but intonation at every point of the fretboard should be advantageous to slide players as well. I understand that dissonant overtones and extraneous subfrequencies caused by a lack of intonation are a cornerstone of RnB, but squiggly frets have undeniable advantages.

If you were forced to play a true temperament neck for 6 months, you would be converted. I understand, aesthetically, it might look like a terrible waste of 2 grand.

Guitars have a limited ability to tune the instrument to itself. I.E, tuning the instrument to an E in the open position makes it subtly (sometimes dramatically) out of tune at the 12th position.

True temperament necks aren't over-engineered. They are sufficiently engineered.

Of course this lack of perfect intonation is one of the guitars charming qualities. Because we can bend into tune, or slide into tune etc...

This dude knows what's up

Also Well Temperament is nothing compared to Ptolemaic, Pythagorean or even if we really want to get out there Five and Seven Temperament

*Tries to find someone engaging Ry Cooder mode on a true temperament or fanned fret guitar*

*Cannot*

*Acknowledges limitations of YouTube*

Give me a true temp or fanned fret and I'll make it happen
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I thought the tuning system used in pianos also made compromises though?

The only things that can be in tune are fret less instruments, the voice, theremins, that sort of thing.

On topic: The Digitech FreqOut looks p cool

That depends entirely on what you define in tune as. If you got this information from that one video on the internet, there is so much missing from that video, especially the existence of other temperaments and even more so inharmonicity which is present on nearly no other instruments purely due to the design and construction of the piano.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
That depends entirely on what you define in tune as. If you got this information from that one video on the internet, there is so much missing from that video, especially the existence of other temperaments and even more so inharmonicity which is present on nearly no other instruments purely due to the design and construction of the piano.

Don't know what video you mean. Is it that one guy that demonstrates different temperaments?

I just meant that I had some sort of hazy idea that the piano (and other "fixed pitch" instruments) had the fifths slightly fudged (or something like that) in the tuning system that we use today, so you can play in all the keys while still sounding alright.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
It still wouldn't play slide right. The frets are not straight. You have slide right on top of the fret to get the right note, anywhere else and it sounds out of tune. You could do it on fretless guitar if you have really good ear.

The slide replaces the frets, so how would squiggly frets matter?

I could see it not working with fanned frets, because the scale length is different for each string (I think?)

But the squiggles wouldn't make a difference. They don't change things up that much.
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Don't know what video you mean. Is it that one guy that demonstrates different temperaments?

I just meant that I had some sort of hazy idea that the piano (and other "fixed pitch" instruments) had the fifths slightly fudged (or something like that) in the tuning system that we use today, so you can play in all the keys while still sounding alright.

Not just the fifths, every single interval in Equal temperament is 'wrong' because the intervals all have harmonics that beat, whereas in say Pythgorean temperament, major thirds in the approptiate key (among other things) sound pure.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Duaneclapdrix That they aren't straight, they aren't ever going be in tune.
Blackwaterson89

Slide guitar playing will be the same regardless of the neck it's played on. Except for when you form other chord shapes behind/around the slide.

Straight fretted guitars aren't in tune, period. Slide players literally have a moving fret, but when their fingers touch the board to fret the strings around the slide, they are no longer in tune. They might be, I guess if you move the slide to compensate with what you're harmonizing with the rest of your fingers.

End of discussion, tempered necks only have one objective disadvantage and thats with major tuning changes

Obligatory Matthias Eklundh

End of discussion.

On topic, I feel like Rob Chappers and Lee should be excommunicated from NAMM because I don't like how he thinks he can shred.

Fucking Monkeylord

Chapman guitars are pretty sweet I guess tho

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2