When adjusting the 2 screws to make the bridge parallel to the body should I detune the guitar to releave the string tension or should I just go ahead and adjust the screws with the guitar tuned?

Thanks, a floyd rose noob
Unless you're talking about major adjustments just turn the screws and retune as necessary.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Adjusting the spring tension will make the guitar go out of tune anyway, so there's no point.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sorry, for clarification are you talking about the 'spring claw' screws or the 'saddle' screws?

Assuming spring claw, depends which way you are going (increasing or decreasing tension). If you are tightening it, in which case a stray string popping may be a cause to arterial bleeding. Tension, plus more tension can't be good for anything IMO....I say this after spending 3 nights (around 9 hours) restringing FR, adjusting TR, adding springs, adjusting action and intonation for this first time ever. It was a learning curve but not beyond the realms of man.

Yours and others MMV.
Last edited by hydreliox at Jan 22, 2017,
If you're screwing in the spring claw, loosen up the strings, adjust the screws, and then retune.
I always jam a piece of cloth or foam under to keep it level and adjust up or down to it. That way the string tension remains relatively the same.
i would detune the guitar in case it chews up your knife edges
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would detune the guitar in case it chews up your knife edges

That's what I was gonna say. It sounds like you're talking about the big screws on the sides, for moving the bridge up and down, not the spring claw. If that's the case, you don't want the strings at full tension when you turn those screws. It dulls the shit out of the knife edges. I know some people don't worry about it, especially if they're just doing a quick small adjustment, but if you want your floyd to last a long time, there's no reason not to be careful and do it right.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jan 24, 2017,
the_bi99man yeah I ment the screws for the trem claw. You
think I should detune it a little just to compensate for it going sharp when I turn the screws?
Quote by pgskbb
the_bi99man yeah I ment the screws for the trem claw. You
think I should detune it a little just to compensate for it going sharp when I turn the screws?

If you're doing any adjustment of the spring claw you're gonna have to retune anyway. That's how a floating bridge works. It's a constant balancing act between the strings on top and the springs in the back. Any adjustment on one side will need to be compensated on the other, to keep it both in tune and in the correct physical position.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6