I'm going to be switching from a 412 to a 212 and need your help.

I'm trying really hard to keep this short, but having difficulty. 20+ years playing guitar. Lots of experience with guitars and amps, very little with speakers and cabs. Besides at a guitar store at very low volumes, I've honestly never played through anything but some version of a Sheffield. I've owned all kinds of Peavey cabs. For the last quite a few years, my cab of choice has been the XXX 412. I love/d the sound of it matched with most high gain amps, and never felt the need to look any further.

Now I've purchased a Randall 212 cab. I purchased the lower end of the two (one has Randall speakers, other has v30s), because I just wanted the box and planned on replacing the speakers for less than I could have bought the higher end for. So hear's where I need help. I don't have much to go on as to what to put in this thing. I love the sound of my Sheffield XXX speakers, but admit that there are most likely other speakers out there that if I had some time with them I'd like just as much if not more. I know that these speakers are not clones of the v30 but are supposed to be loosely modeled after them. I do know that I will be getting my speakers from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, as their priced right, and I've heard NOTHING but great things.

So I need advice on A) What speakers to go with, and B) Maybe even go with 2 different speakers?

I know it's common in a 412 for people to go 2 & 2 of different speakers in different configurations, but not sure if it would sound right out of a 212. I see that Peavey's new 212 cab they've just unveiled will be coming with one v30 and one G12H-75. I just feel like having one speaker to the left and one to the right is going to sound weird, but that could just be me?

Here's some info for you:

Main head: 6505+ and other high gain amps (mostly Peavey's and Randall's)

Type of Music played: 80's rock & metal (Poison, Motley Crue, Metallica, Slayer, etc)

Typical amp settings: High @ 9, MID @ 3, LOW @ 5, Bass boost off, FAT switch in front (tightens and boosts High-Mids), presence @ 10, Gain 7-10

Guitars: All 6 string, tuned to either E standard or Eb standard, all with high output, bright pups (JB / Duncan Distortion / EMG 81 / RTM / etc).

Help point a brother in the right direction. I have a feeling that if I get a pair of Retro30s I'm not going to be disappointed, but I want to LOVE them and it's not like I can just go to a guitar speaker store and try them all out.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jan 22, 2017,
If you're planning to go WGS, mix a Veteran 30 and an ET65.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I'd reach out to WGS directly. Given this info and what you want they should be able to easily help.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Well I quick update. While I was writing the original post I got thinking. I still don't have the 212 cab as it was on backorder when I ordered it in December. So I checked GC website and the expected date has gone from 1/23 to 2/13 to now 3/03. So I cancelled it and ordered the v30 version. I try it as it is when it comes, but from what I've been told, its sounds like the v30 isn't going hit every spot I want but may not have enough low end for me.
Cab design will have a big impact on the low end. I'd assume a Randall cab would be designed with that in mind. Vintage 30 speakers should provide enough low end - Vintage 30 is a pretty common speaker in the metal world. The speakers will likely need a bit of time to break in and loosen up as well when you first get them. So, be patient with them for a bit before being to hasty and popping another speaker in there.

As for a speaker suggestion, I like the G12K-100 for adding a touch of beef to a cab. I don't think WGS makes a speaker equivalent to that particular Celestion though.

Just remember... guitars are a midrange instrument and the Vintage 30 is a great speaker in that regard for cutting through in a mix. While having a nice low end is great, bassists do exist for a reason.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by metalmingee
I'd reach out to WGS directly. Given this info and what you want they should be able to easily help.
I tried this. I emailed them a week ago. Still nothing.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Cab design will have a big impact on the low end. I'd assume a Randall cab would be designed with that in mind.

Just remember... guitars are a midrange instrument and the Vintage 30 is a great speaker in that regard for cutting through in a mix. While having a nice low end is great, bassists do exist for a reason.

It's a closed back, single front port cab. I think I may have given off the wrong impression. I'm not bass heavy AT ALL. In fact as you'll see in my specs, I usually put the bass about mid-way up if not less, and turn the bass boost off (a lot of my Randall amps have this switch). I guess I'm just a bit nervous as the way a lot people talk about v30's is that they're REALLY high/mid with little bass. I like a lot of HIGH/MID especially for Thrash, but I like some bass for the power of it. I'm sure they'll be fine. I'll definitely give them a fair shot. I know new speakers have to get broken in.

The one I ordered is like new - used. So I'm sure they've been broken in a bit. This line of cabs has only been out for about a year though, so for all I know this one is only a couple months old. I originally ordered the base 212 with Randall speakers for $280 planning on changing the speakers, but due to Randall's inability to fulfill orders, I went and looked at used really quick. They had this like new v30 version that's $550 new, for $320. So I snagged it.
Eminence Governor on one side, Swamp Thang on the other. I've only tried them in a 4 x 12 (x-pattern), but I don't see how that would be different, other than a little deeper response. Together, those two speakers flat-out DESTROY. Leads, grindy/crunchy chords, chugs, and tight thrash/death metal riffs -- you name it, they're badass. I use both a 6505 and a 6505+ with this cab too, BTW.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood