A year ago I purchased a sawtooth guitar kit on amazon that came with an amp(10w) with faulty cable, guitar and accessories. I've only had one guitar but I can tell it's not good due to certain things like bad frets, action can't reach regular height without buzzing and strat pickups when I mainly interested in metal.

If I were to upgrade my guitar it would be one of the least expensive Ibanez model like Gio graga120 6 string (Has to be all black and/or red)
As for an amp; Marshall MG30CFX MG Series 30-Watt Guitar Combo Amp

I was going to make a separate thread for this question that you may think this is silly but I understand :/
I've been practising really diligently for quite a long time, do you think the universe or something would unfold and give me an opportunity to acquire the funds to purchase a new guitar/amp? I've had several interviews but nothing yet man
My guitar is okay, it's only 1 note that cannot be played on the entire fretboard that is near the 16th fret for that string. Apart from that, not sure I live abroad so there aren't really any guitar shops that have brands such as Ibanez, ESP etc. Those things have to get shipped here. I'm probably going to be looking for a guitar in the range of 200 before shipping and about 300 for an amp(and a pedal if possible) before shipping. I assume the amp is more important because that's where the sound comes from
Grawgos https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1720030#6

I am in The Bahamas. Preferably an amp that I may even carry to use live in the future, I don't like the idea of buying an amp that will be replaced- even if its like 4 years from now. It's okay that my next guitar because I can use that more and as a separate tuning for when I upgrade to another based on that logic. My strat copy already has 2 dents accidentally falling on some dumbells, I had it leaning against something . It's unnoticeable though
Check out the Tech21 trademark 30 not sure how it will do metal all in its own.

The VHT special 6 ultra

Peavey VIP- it's a modeling amp

Boss Katana 50

Peavey piranha with a cheap cab

The small Quilter amps with a cheap cab.

If you can live with guitar for now, you may want to blow the whole 500 on the amp. It's hard to find a keeper amp at that price.
If you are willing to spend around 500 (200 guitar and 300 for the amp + a pedal) I would suggest you do not split the budget for 2 things. With a 200 guitar you should not expect a significant upgrade. Most budget guitars do not play that well and sound bad. So does the MG series. Especially if you are living abroad, I would suggest you get a mid range guitar. You can travel with just the guitar and the better built guitar would help you improve your skill. You would not outgrow the guitar that easily.
Gab_Azz
My guitar came with as an entire kit with picks, bag, guitar, amp and lessons for a total cost of $120. I'm pretty sure a knock off strat with already rusting chrome parts and a faulty fret(also I forgot to mention I have wiring issues- the amp only picks up sound if guitar is on 10 volume and tone nobs at 1-could be the cable but idk) compared to a legit Ibanez humbucker is a decent enough upgrade. I am actually only upgrading for playable guitar(personally I don't believe there is going to be a difference between a guitar that is $300-$4000-and I've never touched a guitar other than mine and a friend on campus and I can presume that argument), I cannot bring my action lower on any string without buzzing and its like 2mm which is over the average action height of default guitars.

But if you can, elaborate on 'how' its better with details
I don't believe there is going to be a difference between a guitar that is $300-$4000

Oh, but there are differences. Some of them merely aesthetic, some meaningful in the sense they will affect durability, playability, as sound quality.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ballajoe010
Gab_Azz
My guitar came with as an entire kit with picks, bag, guitar, amp and lessons for a total cost of $120. I'm pretty sure a knock off strat with already rusting chrome parts and a faulty fret(also I forgot to mention I have wiring issues- the amp only picks up sound if guitar is on 10 volume and tone nobs at 1-could be the cable but idk) compared to a legit Ibanez humbucker is a decent enough upgrade. I am actually only upgrading for playable guitar(personally I don't believe there is going to be a difference between a guitar that is $300-$4000-and I've never touched a guitar other than mine and a friend on campus and I can presume that argument), I cannot bring my action lower on any string without buzzing and its like 2mm which is over the average action height of default guitars.

But if you can, elaborate on 'how' its better with details

Let me elaborate how. So a 200 strat knockoff is bad. I bough my first guitar a 300 squier showmaster (strat with no pickguard) it had a floyd rose knock off so I paid for that. It has some frets that do not play and it sounds garbage. I cannot find replacement parts for the floydrose. These are good for someone starting out if they do not want to spend money to get into the hobby. If you are already playing I suggest going for a step up.

I have played several Mexican strats. These are decent sounding and of way better quality build. These make great guitars and I would have no problem playing these at local to mid-sized gigs. Then I have an American strat. The sound is significantly better than the Mexican strat. But the biggest difference, the one that sets them apart, is the attention to detail in construction. The neck plays way better than any other guitar I have played.

Any brand at a lower price would have to sacrifice quality and cut costs by using inferior parts. It is how manufacturing works. This is also a market skimming technique that companies use to increase profits. There is a difference between a 300 guitar and a 600 guitar. There is also a difference between a 600 guitar and a 1200 guitar.

Until I got my American strat I was buying a guitar a year because I was never satisfied until I got my strat. I decided to go for a strat because at the time I was playing with a band and the singer played a Mexican strat. It was a wonderful instrument. In the long run it was cheaper. Same goes for the amp. I got several distortion pedals trying to fix the sound of a SS amp. Then I tried EQ, reverb.. anything until I got my first tube amp which was about a month after I got the strat. From there on I was happy with my tone.

Also, I own a Marshall MG and these are not that great. But most amps in that price range are not that great.
I play metal, I bought this strat guitar because of the price. I want an Ibanez and thats pretty much final. Also I'm pretty sure there is no difference between a $200 guitar and like I said a $4000 guitar or w/e $10,000 doesnt matter. I've already seen the videos. Its the amps, pedals that are truly important. We can agree to disagree though, I do know that there is obviously a sound and feel difference, but youre mostly just paying for name, apperance and overall craftsmanship, the function is diminishing in the ratio of return in comparison to the function to cost ratio of another guitar- which is obvious yet not obvious to some that you should not waste money on it just because its slightly better and youre anal about improvement.
Also I'm pretty sure there is no difference between a $200 guitar and like I said a $4000 guitar or w/e $10,000 doesnt matter.

This is objectively not true.

Comparing the average $200 guitar to a $4000 guitar, the pricier one will have:

1) better construction. That translates into better ergonomics and durability.

2) better hardware & electronics. That translates into audibly better, more controllable output and tuning stability.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by ballajoe010
Also I'm pretty sure there is no difference between a $200 guitar and like I said a $4000 guitar or w/e $10,000 doesnt matter. I've already seen the videos

Just stick with what you have now. If you can't tell the difference... For me its fucking huge. Shit my floyd trem probably cost more than your setup and is entirely worth it to me. I have owned and gigged both price ranges for 20 years.

So a $200 Ibanez Gio is on par with Fender, Gibson, and PRS custom shop guitars. LOL.

It sounds like you just dont have much money. If so just say you have a tight budget. THATS OK. I've got over 20k in equipment and its all worth it to me. Saying I "wasted my money" is a lost cause. There is a thing called a job and it pays me for this kind of stuff

The rule is: "Buy what you can afford and if it sounds good its good"... Don't just make shit up because of compressed youtube videos through computer speakers on gear you never even played. good lord...
Last edited by cheesefries at Jan 23, 2017,
I definitely don't have much money, I'm open about that. I'm speaking entirely objective, who knows I may be wrong. I've only seen 1 vid of a guitar comparison and sound exactly the same to me(obviously one look and probably feel better to play) I can find the vid and link it if you want to see it.
Huge difference between 200 and 4000 dollar guitar. Huge difference between 200 and 1000 dollar guitar.

If your guitar is that bad, replace it first. Look at Micheal Kelly, Agile or Cort, good bang for the bucks brands.
Grawgos I'm only interested in Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter etc. I'm open to other brands, but if I had the choice that would be it. The title is 'what upgrade to get first not what guitar or amp to get'. I knew I wanted that Ibanez since the first month I started playing and haven't seen a guitar that is better to my own 'preference' if you can understand that it's a preference then continue to agree that we disagree on the brand.
Quote by ballajoe010
Grawgos I'm only interested in Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter etc. I'm open to other brands, but if I had the choice that would be it. The title is 'what upgrade to get first not what guitar or amp to get'. I knew I wanted that Ibanez since the first month I started playing and haven't seen a guitar that is better to my own 'preference' if you can understand that it's a preference then continue to agree that we disagree on the brand.
I would say undoubtedly change the guitar first.

That Ibanez you mentioned will be an improvement on your current guitar but you could probably find something of similar setup and appearance but nicer if you were willing to spend more. I've had plenty of guitars in that Ibanez' price range and I've had more expensive guitars, and there certainly is a difference between $200 and $600 guitars or whatever set of numbers you want to put (certainly it's a less significant difference between, say $1000 and $1500 than it is between $500 and $1000 or whatever), but the $200 ones will still often be decent guitars so that difference may not be worth the money to you. That's a perfectly sensible choice for a lot of people.

I second the notion that you should avoid the Marshall MG. A lot of us started on those (my second amp was an MG30) and at the end of the day there's better stuff for the money - Peavey stuff in particular if you're into metal.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jan 23, 2017,
I only mention those brands because they are good bang for the buck.

If I had to go cheap from the companies you mentioned, I would go ibanez personally.
But I still say you'd be better off with a 500.00 Ibanez than a 200.00 one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I would say undoubtedly change the guitar first.

" there certainly is a difference between $200 and $600 guitars or whatever set of numbers you want to put (certainly it's a less significant difference between, say $1000 and $1500 than it is between $500 and $1000 or whatever), but the $200 ones will still often be decent guitars so that difference may not be worth the money to you. That's a perfectly sensible choice for a lot of people. "

You understand what I'm saying about the marginal difference , okay, since everyone is saying spend decent money on the guitar upgrade when the time comes I will do that. RG series seem to be mostly in that range.
Plenty of us understand "marginal differences"- FWIW, I'm a trained economist- but the difference between the price gaps you originally posted are not truly marginal, they are often quite significant,

Quote by ballajoe010
You understand what I'm saying about the marginal difference , okay, since everyone is saying spend decent money on the guitar upgrade when the time comes I will do that. RG series seem to be mostly in that range.

ballajoe buddy you clearly don't understand what you are saying. so far all of your opinions have been based on some of the worst reasoning. I saw it in a video and I read it somewhere. not credible sources. we're more than happy to help you but you have to understand that you've gotten responses from several members that have a great deal of actual experience and know what they are talking about. I've been playing for over 35 years and have owned a whole bunch of gear. don't mistake functional with high quality. for instance I have a Vintage (name of maker not old guitar) SG copy that I really like. only paid $150 used they gor ofr a little over $300 new. no way I'd compare it to a Gibson Custom Shop SG that costs $4000+ new. my guitar s very functional and with a couple of tweaks is worthy of being a back up for live playing but that's it. given the choice I'd take the CS SG in a heartbeat. you can certainly find many guitars that aren't really expensive that will work fine for you and be worthy of playing bar gigs and the like. if a $200 guitar was all you neded then there wouldn't be $4000 guitars cuz no one would buy them.