Hey everyone! I'm looking to pick up a nice new bedroom practice amp and I've narrowed my search down to these two options. Anybody have any opinions, or personal experience using either of these amps? I really dig both and can't choose because they're both terribly similar and cost basically the same.
arrmaher13, Hi, as for me, Yamaha THR10X looks like a pretty good choice, 'cause it's easy to use, has good sound and good warmth, portable and powerful. But for the best advice can you give some info what genres you are playing and what budget do you have?
Udjine I play mostly metal, but I like my amps to be versatile as I do like to dabble in other genres like classic rock and jazz. My budget is about $300, which is part of why I ended up finding these amps. Both fit into my budget and have great value for the price.
arrmaher13
You can also check these:
Orange: Crush 35RT (UG score 9)
Features — 8
The Crush 35RT is a brand new combo amp in the line from Orange. Basically, it strips away the electronic rubbish on the other Crush combos in favor of a pure two channel design. The first channel is clean, while the second is dirty. Both are shaped by your standard tone knobs (low, mid, high), and the distortion on the dirty channel is controlled by a gain knob. Each channel has its own volume. There's also an emulated splash reverb controlled by a simple knob, and a digital tuner. The back has an effects loop for delay, modulation, and reverb.

One of the coolest features is the lineout, which emulates the sound of the amp mic'd up to a 4x10 cab. This is an awesome feature for headphone playing, and also DI recording.

Sound — 9
This little amp is an amazing powerhouse. It carries the signature Orange tone, and despite being a solid state sounds unbelievably like a tube amp. Plus, it's absurdly loud for a 10 inch speaker; I have to stay well below 12 o'clock for my drummer to keep up. But if that's not enough for you, the line out is phenomenal through a PA.

The clean channel is spot on, especially with a bit of the splash reverb: really crisp mids without overwhelming highs. When you crank the volume on the clean, it starts to break up into a natural overdrive (I found this around 1 o'clock). With a delay pedal in the effects loop I got some really cool sounds.

The dirty channel is a whole other world. It goes from a light distortion that can be great for surf like riffs to a full out brutal onslaught with a turn of the gain knob. To my understanding its a 4 stage gain, so you have to experiment a bit to find the level you want. The channel takes pedals (before the input) really well. Note: if the gain is set all the way down you won't get any sound.

I tend to play music ranging from alternative and indie rock to some punk and grunge. My band mostly plays and writes music inspired by Nirvana, Arctic Monkeys, Royal Blood, and early Muse. It's really perfect for that sound, especially when coupled with my boutique fuzz pedal and MXR distortion! I tend to play through the dirty channel, with the gain around 1 o'clock and reverb about 12. I keep the highs cranked up, then the mids and lows falling in after.

On my own I play a lot of softer music ranging from John Mayer to Radiohead. This is where the clean channel really shines for my use, as a distortion pedal can give you enough dirt for choruses and solos. I also play a lot of music in the vein of Parquet Courts; it doesn't quite get the signature sparkly highs, but it does the job. I play a Fender Standard Strat.

Reliability & Durability — 9
It's built really solid. Only the weave of the speaker seems fragile, which is to be expected. All the knobs are secure, inputs and outputs are solid. The power cord is thick and industrial, so you don't have to worry about it getting damaged much. You can definitely gig with it without a backup. I really don't expect that the signature orange is going to wear or fade, I think it's a sort of rubber coating. Looks really sweet, too!

Haven't had it that long so can't add much here. If there are any problems in the future I'll definitely post an update.

Overall Impression — 10
This amp is an absolute godsend. At the moment, it seems that there isn't anything else in its price range that can match it. For less than $300, you really can't go wrong on this. It's incredibly versatile in terms of tone, and works for practicing, recording, and even gigging. I wasn't expecting this amp to be as much of a workhorse as it is, but now I'm not sure I'll ever need another of its class. It easily outran every Fender and Marshall combo I've owned.

A must buy amp for sure! Doesn't matter your skill level, anyone can use this in their collection.

Fender Super Champ X2 (UG score 9) But in your price range there's a used one.
Sound — 9
I use both a Fender Stratocster with a S/S/S pickup configuration and a Crafter Cruiser RG600 with a HH pickup configuration. Both of these guitars work perfectly with the amplifier and I am discovering just how many different options are available for me when playing thank to this amplifier. As I have already said, I play blues and classic rock and this amp just suits those styles perfectly. The amp is very loud on all settings, more so on the heavily overdriven styles and also the metal settings. It does feedback quite a lot when too much gain is pumped into it and I'd say the most brutal it can get is Slipknot's 'Before I Forget'. As I have stated already, the variety of sounds this map can make alone is just amazing. When you add in the effects though, it really is amazing. There are no completely out-there effects on the amp, justthe most popular ones I guess. It has vibratone, delay, chorus, reverb and tremolo on it. I only really use the reverb, as I have delay and chorus as pedals, and the pedals have more options available to me. The vibratone is a cool effect but the Tremolo is one that really needs to be used sparingly and is quite the accquired taste.The clean channel doesn't distort all that much at high volumes and so you can get the perfect Clean sound at rather loud volumes. However, it is a shock when you go from a fairly quiet channel two to a boomingly loud channel 1.

Overall Impression — 9
As I have said numerous times, I play Blues and classic rock, such as Led Zeppelin and John Lee Hooker. I do go into some more 'hard' rock, such as Aerosmith, The Stones and GN'R, but this amp can handle those sorts of sounds perfectly. I've been playing for just over 3 years and own numerous guitars and pedals. This is my first tube amp, before hand I had a small 19 watt practice amp. The amp takes the pedals really well, although I have found that the overdrive has become more of a boost for solos, as there isplenty of overdrive from the amp. I wish I had asked about the power lead before buying, so I could habe got the adapter straight away, rather than open the amp up and then had to go and get the adapter, but no matter. If this was stolen, I would definitely get another one. I'd also probably be able to find the thief, as it is a pretty heavy amp, so I don't expect they would have gotten too far away. I love how versatile the amp is in that I can be playing some Blues on the moderately clean setting and with the turn of a knob, I'm in GN'R crucnh country. I don't hate anything, but I do wish it had a mid control and that also there wasn't such a large increase in volume when clicking through the Voices. Some of them are louder then others. My favourite feature is the effects, particularly the reverb. Although I do like to see the tubes light up in the back. I compared it with a Vox AD50VT and this one by far, as it sounded so much more natural and warm.

Reliability & Durability — 9
I believe that I can depend on the amp in a gig situation and I would go without a backup. I would tkae spare Tubes though, just in case. The amp has never broken down, but then again I haven't had it for particularly long. I'd say my only gripe was that the Power Lead included had an American plug on it and I had to get an adapter, but it is to be expected I guess, as the amp came from America.

Features — 9
The Fender Super Champ XD is the latest addition to Fender's aresenal of amplifiers. It combines tube technology with an amazing array of DSP effects and also different 'voicings'. Production began in 2007 and this is a 2007 model. This amp is amazingly versatile. It has two channels. Channel one is based of a Clean Fender Blackface amp. Channel two is the channel with the switchable 'voicings'. These range from early Tweed models, through Blackface models, British models, Hot Rods, metal, jazz and even acoustic models. This means that it is amazingly versatile and can be used for pretty much any genre. My main Genres are Blues and classic rock, so this amp fits my styles perfectly. There is a tiny channel switching button on the amps face, but this is only really any good if you have time to Switch channels. There is the option for a footswitch and I suggest that one is purchased soon after getting the amp, as it makes life easier. There is no effecdts loop or headphone jack, but there is a line out and also the option to Bypass the speaker in the combo and hook it up to an external cabinet. I use this amp both at home and at Band Practice. At home, the volume is kept at just over two, which is when sound is produced from the amp. At band practice, I have the volume at about 6-8 as it is still insanely loud. I have been asked by the drummer a number of times to turn it down, as I was making his seat shake. The amp is plenty loud enough to be heard over a drummer and another guitarist, and even begins to drown out a 180 watt bass amplifier.

But as it was said, Yamaha THR10X is a good choice
Hey, sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm in the same boat as you are (threadstarter). Can't decide between the BEAM or the THR10

Was just wondering which amp you went for in the end?
metal_mike_1988 I ended up going with the THR10X, and I couldn't be more happy with it. It's a perfect fit for my needs. In the end I'm sure you'd be happy with either option, but I definitely recommend the THR10X.