Hi Everyone,

I am going to buy an electric guitar. What are some good choices for a beginners guitar?
About the style, I'll do anything that i like.

Budget... say, $500 or less

(I am completely without experience) could you advise me some books or guide in internet for learning?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

P.S. English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part.
Welcome.

You have literally thousands of guitars to choose from for >$500. You need to specify what you actually want in the guitar you're going to buy.

This guide may help to give you an idea of the sort of things you need to be considering.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1719492

If you have absolutely no idea what you want, go to a guitar store and play a bunch of guitars that you like the look of - There's no better way to grasp an idea of what you're looking for than actually picking up a bunch of guitars and playing them. If you're totally incapable of playing guitar, bring a friend with you who can. If you don't have a guitar-playing friend, ask a member of staff to play the guitar for you, but obviously their opinion is going to be very biased as its their job to sell you something so take whatever they say with a pinch of salt. It's far from ideal, but you've got to start somewhere.

In regards to learning, nothing beats getting ahold of a real guitar teacher that can analyze your technique and correct mistakes that may later become bad habits. But if online tuition is your only option, justinguitar.com is really popular and approachable for beginners.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well TBH in today's market I would spend more than 500$ if you have it. I would get a decent MIM Fender Stratocaster, then get an entry level combo tube amp. Maybe a used Fender Hot Rod combo. Spend about 650$. You'll need a guitar strap, picks, cable and tuner.

having quality gear is important IMO. You want something that inspires you to play as much as possible. Buying crap is a waste of money for me.

Then watch a ton of YouTube videos. Starting with basic chords and the minor/major pentatonic scales.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
I would recommend a decent digital modeller over a tube amp for a beginner, you get lots of amp choices and effects to experiment with which is great for a beginner to explore all the possibilities of electric guitar.

For instance, a Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustang or Marshall Code.

For the guitar, a decent Squier Stratocaster, Telecaster, Epiphone Les Paul or SG you really can't go wrong with.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
With $500 you can get some good midrange guitars, don't bother with beginner guitars.. Not sure where you are, but take a look at Agile from Rondomusic. Lots of guitar for the money.
I think either guitar and the amp will be a decent setup for a new player. Way better than a cheap kit.

On the guitars there are a couple major differences.

The LP is heavier and better for harder rock. The Strat is better at clean tones. As a general rule of course. Everything is subjective to your preference. The biggest factor is the LP neck tends to get very bulky at the 14th fret due to the set neck. Makes it harder to do scales and what not when playing on the frets or higher. Most LP players just learn to play around it. So its not a bad thing, just different.

The Cube doesn't have amazing distortion, so if you want to play harder music then another amp would be better.
Quote by DirtFarmer
I think either guitar and the amp will be a decent setup for a new player. Way better than a cheap kit.

On the guitars there are a couple major differences.

The LP is heavier and better for harder rock. The Strat is better at clean tones. As a general rule of course. Everything is subjective to your preference. The biggest factor is the LP neck tends to get very bulky at the 14th fret due to the set neck. Makes it harder to do scales and what not when playing on the frets or higher. Most LP players just learn to play around it. So its not a bad thing, just different.

The Cube doesn't have amazing distortion, so if you want to play harder music then another amp would be better.

LP fixed bridge, strat tremolo. where is the difference?

Which amp would you recommend?
mrermes

google fixed bridge vs tremelo... I'm not going to write all that out.

I don't own a strat, although I'm aggressively trying to trade for one, I do own 2 LPs. So that should tell you which one I would buy. However if I was to do it all over I would buy a strat first due to the neck and also being a bit more versatile.

If I was on a budget this would be the min amount I would spend on gear knowing what I know now.

Used Fender 2006 Standard Stratocaster Solid Body Electric Guitar Candy Apple Red ($250)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/2006-Standard-Stratocaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112865829.gc

Used Blackstar HT Series HT5C 5W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp ($270)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Blackstar/HT-Series-HT5C-5W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112687093.gc
Quote by mrermes
LP fixed bridge, strat tremolo. where is the difference?

A vibrato system (often called a tremolo system) allows you to mechanically change the pitch of the note by changing the tension on of the strings. There are various types which allow for different sounds, the type on the strat is a synchronize tremolo, which is a fairly common and basic piece of hardware. It's a useful effect, but in lower model imports it is often a point of failure which can cause problems for those unfamiliar with the mechanics of it. However, the strat style tremolo is easily disabled by removing the tremolo arm which prevents the tremolo from moving down, and inserting a small piece of material in the tremolo well which prevents in from moving up, i.e. "blocking the tremolo."

"Stop-tail", "hard-tail" and sometimes "fixed bridge," in this case, refers to a guitar that does not have a vibrato system installed. Fixed bridge also refers to guitar where the bridge is attached to the body, but that's a whole other rabbit hole of confusing terms.

Which amp would you recommend?

If you're more a fan of metal/high gain sounds, then this:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VypyrVIP1
If you're more a fan of older music (think 60s, 70s, 80s), then this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang1V2
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi