Hey everyone, I'm first and foremost a metal player (7-string, down tunings and all that) but I also love playing some classic rock and more bluesy sounding stuff.

Currently my practice/jamming amp is a Line 6 Spider II 75 watt (yes I know the general consensus is these are shit) it has been pretty decent while never sounding great. But lately as I find myself playing more distorted chords and arpeggios (Mastodon, Periphery) the notes just aren't coming through clearly and everything sounds really muddy. When I use my 7 string all I can hear is bass no matter how much I dial the bass out.

Basically, don't want to break the bank but would spend up to about $500ish on something new. Right now I'm currently looking at the Vox VT20X and the Orange Crush 20.

A modelling amp isn't a necessity as I have pedals to cover the majority of effects I'd be using.

Do you guys have any suggestions for amps that would have enough gain on tap to cover progressive metal while still playing nice with a single coil guitar for some classic rock?
DSL 40c?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Used DSL15C? Smaller, more portable, can be had under $400.

Jet City 20W combos far cheaper but I dunno how'd it'd cover your metal type stuff. I assume you've some sort of Overdrive to tighten things up. If not, you should (but it won't too sound good through most modeling amps in general). Same with used 20W ValveKing combos.

Cheapest options I can think of that'd be better than your amp would be the 30W and 75W of the first Vypr series, but again, see my point on OD+modeling amp.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 23, 2017,
For $500 you might be able to get a used DSL40C, a used JSX or XXX combo should fit nicely in that budget, maybe a used carvin v3m or even a 6505+ 112 could be made to work. Based on the modeling amps you mentioned you might want to look into a Peavey Vypr series amp, would be under your budget, even new.
If you don't want to go the modeling amp route or a processor route or amp sims on the computer, check out the Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio.

It's 15w and <1W (EL84s), 3 channels - clean, crunch, lead - can get heavy plus has a ton of recording and silent practicing goodies. It's 2U in height and is lightweight.

$600 new or about $400 used in the USA.

I have one of these on the way for what it's worth.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thanks for all the replies guys - definitely some food for thought!

Ya i kinda want to steer away from a modelling amp again but the Vox has sounded great in review videos...

Does anyone have experience with the Orange Crush? From what i can tell its just a straight up 20 watt SS amp - would be likely to be pedal friendly than a modelling amp I'd imagine?
Another vote for the Carvin V3M.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Had never heard of that Carvin amp before - it looks awesome, will have to keep a look out in the next little while and see if they turn up on the used market in Canada.
Peterborough - not very far at all. There was a guy selling a V3M combo in TO a bit ago but its not listed on Kijiji anymore
Quote by guitarsngear
Peterborough - not very far at all. There was a guy selling a V3M combo in TO a bit ago but its not listed on Kijiji anymore

And don't be afraid to look at eBay or Reverb.com. There ARE sellers who will ship to Canada, like this one.

https://reverb.com/item/3428286-carvin-v3m-tube-micro-guitar-amplifier-head-owned-signed-by-frank-gambale-26839#policies-tab

(Many of the V3Ms have been snapped up recently.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

diabolical oh man that Traynor was a great reco! Never seen that listed on any Canadian sites but there are a bunch on Kijiji - just stumbled across the 40 watt version for $350. May very well snap that up

the 40W is voiced differently and won't do the heavy rock/metal stuff that you are looking for. I have the 80W which is the same voicing as the 40 but 80W, they are more fender voiced, the dirt is decent for rockish music but trying to get heavy tones out of them is not great. The 50 is more Marshall voiced and has more growl to it, you could also check out the YCS series, its a little more rock-high gain voiced but still may not be what you are looking for. I had a chance to play with a YCS100 head at Long and McQuade and it definitely had more gain but IMO wasn't voiced for modern metal.

If you just wanted the classic rock/blues the ycv40 would be a top contender I think but if you also want it for 7 string metal I think you will be disappointed.
Last edited by guitarsngear at Jan 24, 2017,
hoonin_hooligan You want the YCV50B, it is also called Traynor Blue, 50 watt, similar to a JCM800 and could do the metal with overdrive in front, same thing with the YCS heads. They still make the YCS50H AFAIK, haven't seen the YCS100H listen new on any sites. Great amps, sadly very underrated.

Make sure you don't confuse the YCV40 with the YCV50B, the YCV40 is a clean to blues rock type of amp. Again great for what it does, but that's not the one you want The YCV50B was originally in blue tolex which made it much easier to distinguish but now they make it in black tolex so things get a little confusing.

This is the one you want:
https://reverb.com/item/1603156-traynor-ycv50b-blue
I came across this on Kijiji as well
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/city-of-toronto/peavey-vypyr-120-watt-tube-212-combo/1230704331?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

don't have any experience with it as far as clean and rock tones but have seen a number of people on here recommend it for metal, being a modeling type amp it will probably do other genres decently for a practice amp.