I've been Revamping an old Strat look a like made by New York Pro. I ordered some new pick up covers for the 3 single coil pick ups on it and when tearing everything down, I found out that the Pickup Covers on it right now are Glued with some sort of a Wax? Is this something anyone has run in to? If so can you separate them without breaking them?
They must be wax potted, it helps prevents microphonics and such.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
It may make them harder to get off, and you may risk damaging the copper coils around the pickup if you aren't careful, I'm also not sure if there is a method of heating up the pickups without damaging the plastic covers.

I know people have removed the covers with a bit of patience and gentle teasing without damaging them though.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
hair dryer should work just heat up the wax a little and remove the covers carefully.
Quote by dollms8807
N1ghtmar3C1n3madoes that make the covers harder to get off when you remove the wax?

Depends on if it's just wax potting holding them down vs glue, and also on where the actual windings end up - the only way you would "break" the pickup is by severing one of the wires as you pulled the cover off, which might happen depending on how involved the positive/negative termini are in the wax, but generally doesn't in the main coils.

Pulling covers off a well-potted pickup can work though; sometimes you have to warm them up to loosen them off, which can work if the pickups are potted with real wax, but I'm guessing whatever's in yours isn't exactly farmer's market beeswax if it's a knock off strat. Some pickups are potted with various types of epoxy that will make them impossible to dissemble. Pics?
Last edited by lumberjack at Jan 23, 2017,
Just a thought, before you attack the old pickups with a hair dryer. Did you check that the pole spacing is the same on the new covers as on the originals? There isn't much point in risking damage if the new covers aren't going to fit. - I ask, because I've got a whole collection of mismatched covers and pickups.
Quote by dollms8807
I've been Revamping an old Strat look a like made by New York Pro. I ordered some new pick up covers for the 3 single coil pick ups on it and when tearing everything down, I found out that the Pickup Covers on it right now are Glued with some sort of a Wax? Is this something anyone has run in to? If so can you separate them without breaking them?

Covers are often held down with a small dollop of silicon caulk. If it really is wax, then it's possible that the pickup was wax potted with the cover in place. If this is true, you'll have to melt the wax. One caution; if you simply hold a hair dryer on the pickup, you may undo the wax potting on the pickup itself, and will have to re-do it once you have the cover off. Most wax potting is done with either paraffin, bees wax or a combination of the two.
So far over the last decade of playing, my favorite single coil pickups are the P90s or the Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s.

(especially in the neck position)
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Jan 23, 2017,
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma I guess one nice thing is This guitar is just kind of a project so if something does happen to the pick ups I'm not super concerned about replacing them with high quality pick ups. I would, however, like to save a few bucks and just get the covers off! a 2 year old and a 4 month old make it quite hard to scrape the wax out uninterrupted.
dollms8807

Just so we're on the same wavelength, are we talking about a typical strat SC where the pole pieces come through the cover and are visible, or one of those less common ones where the covers hide the pole pieces? I've got some cheap versions of the latter, and pickup is epoxied into the cover.