A lot of people say the 800 combo has a "real" Marshall sound, whereas the 2000 DSL401 is crap. Are there specific reasons why this would be? Would it be feasible to, say, switch a couple parts in the 2000 to have it sound better?

Also, does this hold for non-metal also, or is just that the 800's are better for metal? I'm looking for a Zeppelin sound, not metal.

Thanks!
Last edited by Evml5447 at Jan 23, 2017,
I've heard the 401 has reliability issues.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
I've heard the 401 has reliability issues.

I've heard that a lot too, but really what I'm curious about is what causes the (alleged) sound difference.
I can't speak on the reliable issues, though I dont doubt it with all the extra circuitry, like anything the more you put in to something the more there is to break.

That being said, the 401 doesn't sound like crap, it just doesn't have that "classic Marshall tone", and Marshall elitists just can't seem to accept that. Same reason a lot of them don't like the 900 either.
The 401 had reliability issues prior to 2003. It's an easy fix though, you just have to upgrade the rectifier bridge.

The 401 has EL84 power tubes which distort in a different way to EL34's. So if you are pushing the amp into power amp distortion they sound totally different. However that is exaclty why the DSL401 is a superior blues amp.
So which is better? Depends entirely on what you are playing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Xander_X
I can't speak on the reliable issues, though I dont doubt it with all the extra circuitry, like anything the more you put in to something the more there is to break.

That being said, the 401 doesn't sound like crap, it just doesn't have that "classic Marshall tone", and Marshall elitists just can't seem to accept that. Same reason a lot of them don't like the 900 either.

I'm really wondering what causes the "classic Marshall tone," is it perhaps a little esoteric, like the whole tube/valve debate (where some actually think it's just a placebo effect)?
Quote by Cathbard
The 401 had reliability issues prior to 2003. It's an easy fix though, you just have to upgrade the rectifier bridge.

The 401 has EL84 power tubes which distort in a different way to EL34's. So if you are pushing the amp into power amp distortion they sound totally different. However that is exaclty why the DSL401 is a superior blues amp.
So which is better? Depends entirely on what you are playing.

Do you know in which way they distort differently? Why is the 401 better for blues, because it has a cleaner tone? I want basically an early Zeppelin sound: high mid, high gain, screechy, yet somehow still clear and warm (that's what the early Zep sound is to me anyway).

Also, if that's the main difference, could you not just buy a 401 and put EL34's in it? (Sorry, I know nothing about amps, trying to learn).
Last edited by Evml5447 at Jan 23, 2017,
EL84's use a totally different socket, nothing else will fit.
The main reason it's a better blues amp is because it is smaller so you can get more power amp distortion at the same volume. EL84's have their own sound. That's what makes the 18W Marshall sound so good - little EL84 power tubes.. It's power amp distortion at reasonable levels.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Evml5447
Do you know in which way they distort differently? Why is the 401 better for blues, because it has a cleaner tone? I want basically an early Zeppelin sound: high mid, high gain, screechy, yet somehow still clear and warm (that's what the early Zep sound is to me anyway).

Sounds almost like you may want to take a look at a 6505+.
For Zep's studio tone you're probably better off with a 401. Zep recorded that stuff on a little Supro. Live was a cranked Marshall Major which is why it sounds so different.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's bollocks is what it is. Pure and simple.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification