SO i just bought myself a Orange Crush 120H to play metal and the bass on the amp is just way too much for my band! It doesn't cut through compared to my other guitarists marshal even when I have my amp's mids and highs maxed out

I was wondering if buying a EQ pedal (maybe a MXR M 108) would help me get that mid range cut?
is your guitarist's marshall a tube amp? which amp does he have.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by sean.orpwood90
SO i just bought myself a Orange Crush 120H to play metal and the bass on the amp is just way too much for my band! It doesn't cut through compared to my other guitarists marshal even when I have my amp's mids and highs maxed out

I was wondering if buying a EQ pedal (maybe a MXR M 108) would help me get that mid range cut?
Do you have the volume up on your amp? If you are being buried because of volume, you have to turn up/he has to turn down. If you are being buried because of frequency response,

Don't scoop mids, don't emphasize bass.
I would highly recommend the MXR 10-band placed in the effects loop. It certainly would help you sculpt more mids into your tone and tame the bass. I would think that with a 120 watt head, solid state or not, you should be able to hear yourself in a band setting, but maybe not (I used to use a 100 watt Marshall MG and couldn't hear myself with a drummer and another guitarist -- not that I would have enjoyed what I was hearing...hehe).

Another thing to consider would be an OD pedal like a Tubescreamer running up front of the amp, not in the effects loop. Set the pedal's volume to max, gain all the way off, and tone to taste, but probably a hair above halfway rather than below the halfway mark. OD pedals, particularly tubescreamers, cut some of the muddy bass coming from your guitar and pickups, but also boost your overall gain level a bit too. You could turn your amp's gain down some too. I don't know how that would work on your amp considering it is solid state, but it's worth a try.

As for a 10-band EQ, you'd want to roll the first two sliders off by at least -6db, and play around with the 125hz slider, maybe cut it just a little -- too much cut and your tone will be very thin. Boost a little in the 1khz-2khz regions -- that's where you get your cut.
The MXR 10-band is an awesome pedal. It isn't true bypass, but the input impedance of the pedal is so high that it doesn't really need it. All the faders are in useful ranges and they're all very powerful. You'll find yourself not actually needing +/-12db of boost/cut. Once you buy one, you'll wonder how you ever managed to get by without it.

Getting an overdrive pedal is a good idea once you buy a tube amp. Solid state amps don't always play nice with OD's and can clip horribly when you drive the OD too much. But they'll give you further flexibility once you do get a tube amp. Get one with a couple of EQ controls as well. There's nothing wrong with using Tubescreamers or their clones, but there's so many tubescreamer clone-type pedals with additional EQ options (MXR Badass Modified OD, Way Huge Green Rhino etc.) at similar prices to a boggo standard TS9, that it makes little sense not to take advantage of that extra versatility imo.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Agree with the above suggestions.

Try lowering your pickup, or at least the bass side of it.

What speakers/cab are you using?

Try moving your amps around in the room - point a speaker at your head.

Turn down the overall volume.

Is anything mic'ed and then run through monitors?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
sean.orpwood90

Don't use the word "cut" when you're trying to get midrange to show up in the mix. Very confusing.
The most important thing is to reduce your bass frequencies. Unfortunately most amps have a shelving control, which allows the amp to attempt to produce bass notes that the speakers can't reproduce. Your guitar's lowest note is the 82hz open low E, but most guitar speakers have difficulty producing anything below about 100Hz. Whatever kind of EQ you have available, you want to prevent the amp from trying to do much in the under-100Hz range.

An MSR 10-band covers its ground in full-octave chunks, which doesn't give you much precision. OTOH, carting around a 31-band EQ without a rack unit is sort of a pain. But dumping most of the frequencies below 100Hz will redirect power to where it's needed.
sean.orpwood90Slipknot guitarist Jim Root uses a Rockerverb100 which is basically the tube version of the CR120 head. Or rather the other way around. Their settings are; Bass: all the way up there. Mid: just below 12 o'clock, Treble: 1 o'clock. Gain: all the way up there. maybe try getting used to it and if you still don't like it try using a 31-band EQ to fine tune it to your prefrences.
I have the same amp. I use a boss sd1 overdrive to cut through and to tighten the bass.
The amp is heavy on the lower mid frequencies and the sd1 brings out the upper mids.

It blows away my friends XXX everywhere except the treble, and his treble will make ears bleed. I have to keep my amp lower to jam with him.

A tubescreamer type overdrive should do the trick for you.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Jan 24, 2017,