Hi everyone! I've been thinking of buying a Line 6 POD X3 for a while. I'm planning to upgrade from the ZOOM G2.1u (which I loaned from a friend)

The reason I wanted to get a POD is because:
1. I need a new guitar interface to replace the Zoom. Better than or as good as the Zoom
2. The Zoom's amp models never appealed to my ears, and I wasn't satisfied with some of the effects either. So much so, I used it more as an interface than a pedal (except when I'm using the Whammy pedal or wah), with Guitar Rig 5 for the amp and effects.
3. Portability. I have a very small bedroom, So I don't have much space for so much as a 30w amp, besides, The POD seems much lighter to carry around to occasional jamming sessions (I don't gig, yet).
4. Silent practicing. Would come in handy when I want to play guitar or bass past midnight when I can't sleep lol.
5. Budget. I tried the POD HD500, and I'd like to get one of those, but the 18,000-20,000 PHP price made it out of reach. The standard X3 (the bean shaped model) is 7000-8000 PHP in the 2nd hand market, which is well within my reach

So those are my reasons. To anyone who's owned a POD X3, i'd like to hear your thoughts about it: Does the amps and effects sound great? How steep is the learning curve for its interface? Is it easier to setup as an interface?

My style's more on blues, classic, prog and hard rock, a bit of heavy metal, and grunge, though I like to expand my style as I explore the sound possibilities the POD X3 has to offer once I get one.

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by apgapgxii at Jan 24, 2017,
The POD X3 is a good pedal & definitely worth considering.

You should also check out the Zoom G3/G5 - they've moved on a LOT since your G2.1u was made, both in terms of build quality and general sound quality. When your pedal was made, they were a cheap brand making cheap kit, but with the more recent pedals they've moved up & become genuine contenders to the likes of Line 6 & Boss.

Speaking of Boss, also check out their GT range. No idea how that's priced in PHP though....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm guessing your exchange 20000=$500? If that's the case the POD HD is a step up from the X3 and should be in your range used. Editing software makes life a lot easier over passed models and the sound quality is excellent. I've been messing with mine almost none stop for the past few days and getting pretty good results. My mistake was thinking I wouldn't miss my stomps from the XTLive. I'm gonna mess with this for a few months then upgrade to the 500x. Should have just done that in the first place.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
If that's the case the POD HD is a step up from the X3 and should be in your range used.

A used HD500 goes for at least 18,000 pesos here, it's pretty much above my reach for a college student, unless it's for tuition fees.

Quote by GaryBillington

You should also check out the Zoom G3/G5 - they've moved on a LOT since your G2.1u was made, both in terms of build quality and general sound quality. When your pedal was made, they were a cheap brand making cheap kit, but with the more recent pedals they've moved up & become genuine contenders to the likes of Line 6 & Boss.

Speaking of Boss, also check out their GT range. No idea how that's priced in PHP though....

I'm actually considering the Zoom G3 or G7 as my 2nd choice. I've been hearing good things about the G3 as well, its build looking like a step-up from the G2.1.
Not the 500. I'm talking about the Bean unit. You'll get the quality without the bells and whistle s.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by apgapgxii
I'm actually considering the Zoom G3 or G7 as my 2nd choice. I've been hearing good things about the G3 as well, its build looking like a step-up from the G2.1.

The G3, definitely.

The G7 maybe not so much -- more options perhaps, but I think (not 100% sure) it still used the older modeling software so the sound quality may not be a significant improvement over what you have.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The X3 is a solid unit. Line 6 bumped the processing power to the point where you can run TWO separate rigs at once and either blend or A/B them. In addition, the X3 contains all of the extra cost "model packs" that were available for the XT *and* it includes the entire Bass Pod XT as well.

The "bean" is excellent (I have an XT, X3 and an HD in bean format, as well as the "live" footpedal versions). It's compact and very easy to cart around. If you DO need to play live, you don't have to get the FBV Shortboard (unless you have the money) -- the FBV Express will do virtually anything you need and, here in LA, runs about $50 on the used market. It's got a tuner display, four channel switches, an expression pedal, tap tempo, etc. I've programmed the whole set list into a Pod; it's rare you need more than four stomps per song, and you usually have time to change to a new set of four on the bean intself in the backline.

I've mostly used my beans in the old Atomic Reactor tube-amp powered speakers; they were available in a 1x12 and a 2x12, with the 1x12 offering either an 18W EL84-based tube amp or a 50W 6L6-based tube amp (the 2x12 came with the 50W). There's an interchangeable "bay" with adapters for the bean, and all of the connections to the bean are made in the bay itself. The bean effectively becomes the preamp for the unit, so all you have to do is plug the Atomic into the wall, your guitar into the Atomic, and hit the "ON" button. If you have a foot pedal, you're plugging it in via what amounts to an ethernet cable (no extra power connections, etc -- power is carried through the ethernet cable).

In any case, the X3 is highly recommended if you're faced with a "bang for the buck" situation.
it sounds like that is exactly what you need given your circumstances.

my only hangup on the beans is that i like. my stuff on the floor, so personally I would get an x3 floor.

as far as the zoom g2.1u,is that it sounds terrible. i won one at a local store's jam contest, and i hooked it up once, and needless to say, I put it back in the box and listed it on ebay. lol. I had a xd floor at the time, and it smoked it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
The X3 is a solid unit. Line 6 bumped the processing power to the point where you can run TWO separate rigs at once and either blend or A/B them. In addition, the X3 contains all of the extra cost "model packs" that were available for the XT *and* it includes the entire Bass Pod XT as well.

The "bean" is excellent (I have an XT, X3 and an HD in bean format, as well as the "live" footpedal versions). It's compact and very easy to cart around. If you DO need to play live, you don't have to get the FBV Shortboard (unless you have the money) -- the FBV Express will do virtually anything you need and, here in LA, runs about $50 on the used market. It's got a tuner display, four channel switches, an expression pedal, tap tempo, etc. I've programmed the whole set list into a Pod; it's rare you need more than four stomps per song, and you usually have time to change to a new set of four on the bean intself in the backline.

I didn't know the X3 can run two rigs simultaneously, that's one of my favorite things when I'm playing! A bit tedious the way I did it with Reaper, but worth it. Damn, I'm looking forward to getting one. I won't be in a hurry to get the FBV for now, though i'd like to get the Shortboard someday. Nice rig btw!

Quote by trashedlostfdup

as far as the zoom g2.1u,is that it sounds terrible. i won one at a local store's jam contest, and i hooked it up once, and needless to say, I put it back in the box and listed it on ebay. lol. I had a xd floor at the time, and it smoked it.

Every time I try to make my own setup on the Zoom, I find myself using just the chorus and compressor more. The rest of the effects were meh. At one time, I even tried recording a jam track using the Zoom just for the drum machine while my guitar is recorded through another interface I borrowed from another friend. too much wire in my room.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! It has been very helpful. Definitely appreciate it!