Hello, I'm currently looking to upgrade my amp from a crappy little solid state to a nice tube amp. First of all I play an American special stratocaster equipped with Texas special pickups. I'd like to get an amp with a really nice clean sound that has quite some headroom but still will get some speaker break up at higher volumes. Still not quite overdriven. A dirty channel is a plus but not necessary as I'd also be purchasing an overdrive pedal. I was thinking a maxon od808 or Ibanez ts9. I'm open to suggestions on those as well. My budget for the amp is about $800. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot
What kind of music do you play? Combo or head + cab?
First thought was a Vox AC30. Then again the more info you provide the better.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
bobafettacheese it varies, from hendrix and stevie ray to the grateful dead and phish to more modern jambands as well. I'd like versatility. As I said nice cleans that can take pedals well. Much headroom but can achieve that subtly crunchy clean as well
I would take a look at a fender deluxe reverb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If the Deluxe reverb is a little out of budget you could also check out the Hot Rod Deluxe
I would go for a Peavey Classic 30 before a HRD, that is just me though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Check out a used Mesa F30 or a Lonestar.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Fender really does have the sweetest sounding reverb. I'm a Peavey / Randall man myself, but for the type of music you're playing, I'd grab a Fender if it were me.
I do love my musicman amps. may want to look into them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Is Egnator still a thing? Haven't plugged into one in a few years but they seemed fairly decent at the time.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Besides the Fender and Vox suggestions- with which I agree- I'd also look at:

Peavey Delta Blues 115
Carvin Nomad, Belair or V3M

Also, while Quilter amps are SS, they're not crappy. They're good enough to my ears that I'm looking to get one for myself- possibly as a replacement for my HRD. You might want to see if you can find one,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
trashedlostfdup I've found 65 reissues used online for around 800. I'm not sure about buying online though. I'd like to play through the actual amp that I'm buying. I can and have gone to guitar center to play through the reissue to get a feel for what it'll sound like, the blackface had a fuse blown and had no power so I couldn't play it, the silver face actually turned on but when I have the volume cranked at 10 it wasn't getting very loud at all. So I suppose I'll try again at another store
Quote by BenReid94
trashedlostfdup I've found 65 reissues used online for around 800. I'm not sure about buying online though. I'd like to play through the actual amp that I'm buying. I can and have gone to guitar center to play through the reissue to get a feel for what it'll sound like, the blackface had a fuse blown and had no power so I couldn't play it, the silver face actually turned on but when I have the volume cranked at 10 it wasn't getting very loud at all. So I suppose I'll try again at another store

something must be wrong. those fuckers are very loud and break up quite nicely, at near deafening levels.

go to a different store. it doesn't look like they take care of their shit. my GC is the same way. I refuse to buy amps there for that reason.

Peavey classic 30/delta blues are also a great suggestion. i had a delta for a while. nice amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I nabbed a 50W carvin Nomad head for like 200$ at a local shop a while back that does killer cleans. the gain channel defies the tweed cover and gets pretty hairy, but I pretty much only run it clean.

There's a HRD in my local shop that I adore as well, you can't really go wrong with that.
VHT special 6 ultra

clean and loud with a wattage adjustment knob that will give you break up depending how its set.
you may think 6 watts isnt enough but it is. i had a marshall dsl40 (40watts) and the VHT holds its own.
i play mostly funk,r&b and rock with a standard telecaster and a ibanez RGA121 and i have to say its a tone machine.
it is lacking reverb but i got a HOF mini for 60 bucks and fixed that right up.

you can find one used for 250+
highly recommend
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jan 27, 2017,
Quote by BenReid94
Which cleans will have more headroom, the 65 drri or a hrd?

HRD most likely.

IMO the DRRI is far superior to the HRD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!