Hey Guys

I recently bought a Schecter Demon 7-string with a Floyd Rose. From previously owning an Ibanez with a floating bridge, I am aware of how temperamental these bridges can be. My problem is that I can set the guitar up so that the strings stay in tune, but any use of the whammy bar knocks it straight out.

To clarify, the bridge is nice and parallel to the body of the guitar and the guitar stays in tune when playing without using the whammy bar. The instance that I use the whammy however, the strings go straight out; some going higher in pitch with others going lower. I can't get my head around it.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to rectify this?
Have the strings been fully stretched in?

Are the locking nuts tight?

Are the knife edges sharp?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
T00DEEPBLUE

Hey, and thanks for your response.

-The strings have been on the guitar for about 3 weeks, and I hand-stretched them during re-stringing. I've pressed both ways on the whammy bar too, in an attempt to stretch them further.
-I have the locking nuts tight (like "nipped" into place), but I was advised to not tighten them too much?
- The guitar was brand new out of the factory when I bought it, so I'm guessing the knife edges would be sharp, right?

Thanks in advance for your help
The locking nuts should be fairly tight but obviously don't strip them. Stretching the strings by moving the bar back and forth won't be enough to sufficiently stretch them. You have to really give them a hard pull with your hand several times and retune each time.

The knife edges may not be sharp. Just because the guitar is new does not mean that the posts that adjust the action could never have been rotated under string tension and wrecking them. Take the bridge off and inspect the knife edges. Lubricate them with Vaseline while the bridge is off the guitar too.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
T00DEEPBLUE
Hey, just a quick update. After taking your advice, I've figured out that the issue was under-tightened locking nuts tightened them slightly more than I was, and the issue is practically none-existent now. Many thanks for your help!