Hello, all. I'm new around here. I've been lurking around the forums, and I figured it was about time to make an account and introduce myself. I've wanted to learn guitar since I was a kid, but my parents weren't into the noise that comes along with learning an instrument. It's taken me a few years to get on my own and get myself stable, but a few months ago, I finally had the means to buy my first guitar, a Greg Bennett ST 91. It's a little student guitar, but I'm a tiny gal so it suits me. It's simple and beautiful and I love it. The guy at the shop I bought it from was really kind and helpful; he drew me up a chart of some chords to start with and gave me some advice to start learning. I've made some decent progress on my own but now that I can play the chords he showed me, I have no idea where to go from here. I found a place near me that offers lessons, but they're a little expensive and will require some saving, so I'm here in hopes of picking up some advice to keep building on the (very)basic knowledge I have until I can afford them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I'd check out some beginner method books for adults (kids books tend to go at much slower pace). Work through page by page and make sure you really digest the material before moving on.

There are also endless resources, mostly tab, for learning music. Unless you're into some super obscure music, it's likely you can find it tabbed out somewhere on the internet. Just watch out for mistakes in the tabs, which are unfortunately common. If there's an artist you really enjoy you may be able to find books of their music transcribed in both notation and tab, and those are pretty much guaranteed to be accurate (which is why they cost $20+ USD).

Outside of those, you can always check out instructional sites like JustinGuitar.com and any number of YouTube videos for advice on technique or lessons built around a specific song.
I wouldn't go get lessons as a beginner- you can learn a lot on your own for a while.
I would start by learning how to play your favorite tunes. It doesn't have to be perfect, but take the time to go through em, learn some melodies here and there.
There are tons of resources online to help you when you get stuck.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
hatimoonchaser

Get guitar pro or tux guitar or powertab

Boom, you are now able to use the majority of ultimate guitars resources as well as all the music theory charts that come with GP5-6

You can even compose and playback.

Use YouTube, the hardest part is initially separating the phenomenal teachers from the rest.

Now go out there and get inspired
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
hatimoonchaser Hi and welcome to Forum! The best way to stay motivated is to play your favorite songs, start with easy ones, which consist of basic chords, and as your skill and confidence grow, try to play more complicated songs.
And BTW, what are your main goals in learning, do you want to play for yourself or maybe join band?
Quote by hecks
I wouldn't go get lessons as a beginner- you can learn a lot on your own for a while.

To each their own I guess, but I'd say you should get lessons as soon as possible. The more you learn on your own, the higher the chance that you screw up without realizing it and develop lifelong bad habits.

So yeah, get a teacher as soon as you can, but be critical and try to be sure that the teacher is a qualified professional.

Other than that, I agree with the rest, start learning songs. Justinguitar was also mentioned and he offers some great beginner courses. And you could also answer Udjines closing questions, what are your goals, what do you want to achieve etc.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Cant go wrong with Justinguitar, but just practising can get tedious, go ahead and learn songs you like and play them and itll be fun, theres loads of things on youtube for that
- Youtube guitar tutorials.
- Learn about guitar techniques.
- Tablature of songs you like.
- More chords.
- Scales and basic music theory.

Practice the things you learn often. Particularly important to get the techniques correct early on or suffer later.
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Work got a little busy this week, but I finally found some time to sit down and respond.
I was a little nervous to start playing songs; it was stressed to me not to try to do too much too fast and learn fundamentals first, but I suppose I'm not going to really learn anything unless I put it to use. I've been looking around for some tabs, and I can find plenty that I'd be interested in playing, but I'm struggling a bit with reading them. I do have a book coming in the mail now, though, so hopefully that might help me figure it out.

Quote by Udjine
hatimoonchaserAnd BTW, what are your main goals in learning, do you want to play for yourself or maybe join band?

Right now I'm definitely just playing for myself. While I might like to join a band and try to take things further from there, I don't really know many people at all. I'm rather shy and quiet in person, so I'm not sure if that's in the future for me or not.

Quote by Kevätuhri
To each their own I guess, but I'd say you should get lessons as soon as possible. The more you learn on your own, the higher the chance that you screw up without realizing it and develop lifelong bad habits.

This is exactly why I want the lessons. I realize that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'm sure I've already messed something up. I'd rather be taught what I'm doing wrong.
I've been hearing a lot about justinguitar, so I'll probably take a look at the site and see what I can find.
I'd highly recommend Justin guitar as I used it for myself. Outside of an actual instructor I've not found an online resource that has done a better job of wholistically summing up all the parts needed to pick up and start playing a guitar (from basic fundamentals to minor theory to rhythm to practice exercises and on), with such an easy and defined way to apply and practice that Information (which is so key for when you know NOTHING about it). Plus he gives you a bunch of songs to play as you scoot along the course which is great for seeing actual results and gauging your progress. I'd not be as good as I am in as little as I've been playing had I not done his course, I truly believe that. Plus it's free, so what the hey?
It's easy to make mistakes as a new player. I learnt the hard way. My technique was woeful and it took me a long time to figure out why. I would highly recommend Jamie Andreas and her Guitar Principles book. It is the only book you'll need when it comes to proper technique. It doesn't teach you any music, or chords, etc... it's purely on how to hold the guitar, how to play correctly with your fingers, how to correctly hold a pick, and how to apply these principles to anything you learn (be it a new chord or riff). It's amazingly detailed.

I would only purchase it if you're serious though. For now it may be easier to follow some YouTube videos and get a few simple songs under your belt. If you like where things are going then I would recommend her book. I bought it years late and had to unlearn a LOT of bad habits (I'm still trying to unlearn some now).

The only other advice I have is DO NOT FORGET ABOUT RHYTHM!! You should be thinking about rhythm very early on. I know as a new player it's easy to think, meh rhythm, I need to learn how to master this left hand first. WRONG! Honestly, you will be much better off, progress much quicker, sound better, and have a lot more fun if you take rhythm seriously. Rhythm is the underlying structure of all music. So look into how to practice rhythm. Practice quarter beats, 8th beats and 16th beats. Those are the main 3 you'll first want to master.
Last edited by gweddle.nz at Feb 2, 2017,