Hi All

I have a schecter guitar with humbuckers and this problem is happening through at least 4 different makes of amp - so it's not the amp! (though I suppose the amp is involved somehow!)

I recently bought an mxr distortion pedal which I really want to use as a boost for when i do riffs and so on and need some cut above my usual moderately distorted chord type sound. I wold probably add a bit a distortion and a fair bit of gain. I don't use any other pedals, and the mxr has power supply

I notice that if the band aren't playing and I click on the pedal then I sometimes get a high pitched screeching which is horrid, and painful - not the usual lovely feedback! If the band is in full swing and I press then this doesn't happen as predictably, though it still can. I have noticed too that this can happen if my hands are dampening the strings. I have tried things like moving away from the amp, putting myself between the guitar/amp etc.

I have never had this problem having used a variety of pedals over the years.

Any ideas what's going on? Is it a fault (though I did notice the same effect with my friends mxr pedal at on a clean set amp, at much lower volume which suggests it isn't likely a fault)

Thanks

Edward
It sounds like the pickups in your guitar are becoming microphonic at that level of gain if the squealing is uncontrollable and unpleasant.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
thanks T00DEEPBLUE yes - that makes sense because it does sound rather like a microphone in that it has a small range of tone.

In fact I read here - http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?268542-What-Makes-a-Pickup-Go-Microphonic and here http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/feedback-vs-microphonic-noise and now it makes sense.

And ... i got my guitar 30 years ago second hand. All makes sense!

Apart from the fact that I have never had it before except with this pedal - suppose the gain must be high.
Last edited by maxelcat at Jan 25, 2017,
You can get a noise gate like a boss ns-2. Set it for a more organic gate setting, and it will be like it's not there, untill you stop playing, then no feedback.
A couple of my cheaper guitars have gone microphonic and a gate helps a lot.