Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, so I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, I've been using an Epiphone Les Paul standard for about 4/5 years and a cheap fender strat knock off before that. I've been thinking about investing in a new guitar for a while now and wanted to get something fairly cheap as I'm still a student and money is tight (max £400 - $600).

I've been eyeing up an Ibanez rg350dxz for a while as I'm starting to get into fast playing guitar (Avenged sevenfold and Eric Johnson, etc) and I find my les paul limits my playing in that regard - due to the thick neck, and the fact that the body meets the neck on the 17th fret, as opposed to 19 or 21st fret, etc. I love the sound and tone of a Les Paul but I find it not very forgiving when trying to play certain things.
I also love the idea of the tremolo and all the great sounds you can make from that. The slim neck of an ibanez and the thin strings and closeness to the fret board also makes me inclined to try this model.

SO, do you think it's worth the investment in an ibanez guitar? Also anybody can vouch for this model(rg350dxz)? Any other guitars that would be good for this?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
You don't need to buy a Ibanez to attain low action and light strings. You can set up your Les Paul just the same way if you want to improve its playability.

I understand if you want a new guitar for better fret access; typical Les Pauls are never great in that regard, though many metal players do get used to it, be it Matt Heafy, Zakk Wylde etc. The neck on an Epiphone Les Paul is actually very average in thickness. The notion that the necks are thick stems from younger players who are so used to their Ibanez Wizard necks that anything that's remotely different feels totally foreign to them.

Does it have to be an Ibanez guitar? Does it also have to be brand new or can it be used? I also assume you understand the shortcomings of owning a Floyd?

Getting an MIJ Jackson DK2 and putting an original Floyd in it would smoke the Ibanez in question and it can be done for £400 used.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Ive played a few. Cant say i liek them very much. They are decent guitars, but the stock pickups are not that great, and more importantly, the bridge is not good. It wears out quick. My friend had constant problems with it, and in the end he just blocked the trem. The neck is really thin tho. If you wanna know what it feel slike, just go to a store and pick up anything from ibanez with the Wizard II neck. Honestly, this guitar will not be an upgrade from your epiphone. It may feel different and even play better, but in terms of build quality and parts, its pretty much at the same level.

If i were you, id go for something with either an Edge or Edge Pro or Edge Zero bridge for Ibanez guitars (basicly anything thats not an Edge III), or something with OFR from other companies. It will probably cost a bit more tho.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
the answer of gibson or ibanez is easy. both.

I have five gibsons and five ibanez prestiges.

but I agree that a LP can get the same action if it is set up properly. may require a fret level though which is >$100.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm not going to try to steer you away from the Ibanez, but you should know that if you like the rest of the LP dynamic, there are options.
I agree that the neck heel on an LP is clunky. I'm currently doing a lot of playing with an Axcess Custom (smooth carved-away neck heel, thinner body) that's way outside your budget, and with four Agiles. The AL-3200 in stock form is a neck-through guitar with the Axcess neck heel and tummy cut, jumbo frets and an ebony fretboard. Around $499. The two AL-2000 Floyds I have were around $299 new (mine were $100 less as B stock and used). They have a "tilted" neck heel that's nearly as effective as the Axcess neck heel, and they have 24 frets with the 24th fret at about the same location as the 22nd fret in a normal LP. Upper fret access is extremely comfortable, and they come with jumbo frets as well as a cheap Floyd. The addition of a large brass sustain block has really changed the response of the Floyd (and the tone and sustain if you're a cork sniffer).

There are also 7 and 8-string versions as well as Baritone scale versions (27" scale) of these guitars that appear now and again on the Rondomusic.com site.

There are other similar options on your side of the pond worth looking at.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 25, 2017,
Any Jackson would work for metal/speed. Those also have a thin neck and in the X-Series, which is around your budget, most are neck-through that makes for easy access to the upper frets.
There are lots of guitars out there, but the one that works best for YOU in terms of playing fast well isn't necessarily about objective dimensions & ergonomics, but about whether your body interacts comfortably with the guitar.

Some people need flat bodies & skinny necks to shred. Others prefer big ol' slabs of wood with fat necks.

It sounds, though, like you do better with the former.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Getting an MIJ Jackson DK2 and putting an original Floyd in it would smoke the Ibanez in question and it can be done for £400 used.

or you could probably (?) get a used prestige for £400 too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Hard to argue against well priced used Ibanez Prestige guitars, specially if you were considering Ibanez already.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by figure00

Awesome! Although, sometimes I wish more higher end Jacksons had fixed bridges.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Although, sometimes I wish more higher end Jacksons had fixed bridges.

I suddenly had this vision of Michael and Janet in hardhats, repairing the Golden Gate Bridge.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah the only reason I wouldn't take that Kelly, is the floyd.

Prestige hardtail used sub 600 bucks? Shut up and take my money.

Anything else and i'll stick to my $100 gems from used sections in shops
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I suddenly had this vision of Michael and Janet in hardhats, repairing the Golden Gate Bridge.

Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Shredwizard445
Yeah the only reason I wouldn't take that Kelly, is the floyd.

Prestige hardtail used sub 600 bucks? Shut up and take my money.

Anything else and i'll stick to my $100 gems from used sections in shops

i have gotten three for under $500, one being $380, one for $600 and one for $750 (that was new old stock though) but it was brand new.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by figure00

Mine is just like this but with Chrome hardware. The Jackson JT580LP bridge isn't bad at all and you can swap in an OFR if/when it wears out.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Shredwizard445
trashedlostfdup

You Sir,

Have a beautiful case of GAS

Cheers,
SW

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Shredwizard445 Trust me man .. take it .. i bought a cheaper model of Jackson with floyd too .. its also kelly design too .. the floyd is okay its not that scary haha .. I use it all the time and it stays in tune .. the only bad thing is that the string change is something like 20 mins .. Mine model is JS 32 series from 2013 or 2014 made in Indonesia .. this from the link is better for sure .. great pickups for the price also made in Japan .. if you are interested how mine sounds heres that video .. it goes through Boss metal zone thats why the sound is so fucked up haha
Be yourself !
Last edited by figure00 at Jan 26, 2017,
figure00

I have 4 guitars with Floyds
and it would be unfair to them to bring a new baby home that would get more attention while they suffer in an Ibanez graveyard.

Also I promised myself I would get a S&W M&P 15-2 before I got another solid body guitar.

Also I promised myself I would write an album with the Jackson hardtail that I bought maybe 5 months ago
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Shredwizard445 Oh .. I understand and actually I though you are the guy who is looking for speed/heavy guitar, my mistake sorry haha. But still he can check my comment
Be yourself !
Ibanez is probably the more obvious and logical choice, but you could still go with a Les Paul HP for a slimmer neck than the Les Paul Traditional if you don't mind only having 22 frets and no floyd rose. Some of the ESP LTD EC series have a floyd rose, if you're interested in that with the Les Paul shape body and slim neck.

Personally, I prefer the Jackson Dinky to the lower end Ibanez RGs.
Last edited by V3n0m777 at Jan 27, 2017,
i have a rga121 and its a great guitar.
never liked the feel of a LP but everyone is different.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
If you can't afford more than £400, please, DO NOT BUY A GUITAR WITH A FLOYD ROSE. Seriously. A real floyd rose will often cost over £200, so for that price, you're either getting a good bridge in a bad guitar, a good guitar with a bad bridge, or a subpar guitar with a subpar bridge.

Get something like this and never wonder about the perils of bad floating bridges.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/RGIR20FEBK/solid-body-electric-guitars/ibanez-rgir20fe-iron-label-electric-guitar-in-black?LGWCODE=RGIR20FEBK;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKEAiAn7HEBRDHwNqitoWqsQcSJAADWmI2clwnXcYlZbbyoRGFwHbpLRWKOwNfaDDFYrLN8xqz8xoChj7w_wcB
For what it's worth Steve Vai

And Michael Angelo Batio Use Ibanez
Budget?
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
metalmingee

Sounds like you have a '98-2005 KE3 which came with the chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pups.
'06-'11 had real Duncans and black hardware.
chaosinsues5
Yep. Swapped out the Duncan Designed Detonators for a Distortion and Jazz. I got it for around $120 on a whim while out of town with the OHSC Cleaned her up and gave a complete setup and she has the lowest overall action of all my guitars.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Gold_Concept
Ibanez Vs Gibson ...

One of each, good luck

or this:

Quote by trashedlostfdup
the answer of gibson or ibanez is easy. both.

I have five gibsons and five ibanez prestiges...

i win... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
or this:

i win... lol.
You're really going to be insufferable, when you discover this version of UG's software allows you to like your own posts.

At least it did for me, (accidentally), the other night though. Granted I chickened out and removed it. You are obviously no obligated to conform to my ethos. (Or lack thereof).
metalmingee
That's a crazy price, damn. There are tonnes of used MIJ Jacksons in the $300 range in most US/CAN markets these days, but it's common to see sellers almost give them away just to see some cash. It's tough to sell used, the competition is enormous. I saw a MIJ DKMGT with hardshell case recently for $150. I'm shocked people even buy new guitars anymore.

About your Kelly, does it have satin chrome or shiny chrome? The satin came on the late-'90s-very early 2000's models.
Actually, I have a personal list of those 96, 97 and 98xxxxx MIJ serials that I use daily on the forums to date folk's Jacksons. If you'd like I could give you a year if you post the first 4 digits of your serial. I'm the serial guy on the JCF forum...I love serials.

The neck pocket has model/date stamps if you'd like to be accurate to the month/day. My list contains serials that were confirmed by those neck pocket stamps. Truth be told, occasionally there are inconsistencies with those numbers, so stamps are the safest bet, but my list is correct probably 95+% of the time.

I see you have a 2 knob, 2006-'11 DKMGT? My avatar is a 2011 DKMGT and a 2008 USA SL2HT and that Dinky is every bit the guitar my Soloist is. I got a great one, but they have a great reputation along with all MIJ's.
Last edited by chaosinsues5 at Jan 29, 2017,
Captaincranky it was in jest. i am not near the snobby asshole that some people make me out to be.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
chaosinsues5

My Kelly has the Shiny Chrome hardware. The serial is 9709XXX. I have no desire to take the neck off at this point - it plays too well!

My DKMGT Has 3 knobs and the 81/85 appear to be stock - there is a battery slot in the cavity. The 3rd knob is the afterburner/turbocharger I thought I found this model in a catalog but it escapes me now.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Page 1 of 2