Hi. This is my second post on this forum. I spoiled the first by showing my hate towards psychology as a science. I'm not sure what that says about me.
Anyway, I hope I have a good time here (oh, and everyone else as well).

What brought me to this forum was a cracked guitar. Let me provide the background story, so you can sympathize with me (or not).

My girlfriend learned to play the guitar when she was little (like me, except I stopped practicing and eventually forgot). She played a lot and someone important to her (I don't wanna give to much detail just in case) gave her a cool one (this is how I categorize guitars...). It's acoustic, not electric, but it has a connection for an amplifier. Continuing the story, at an event, she lent the guitar to a guy and he let it fall. Now, said important person passed and the guitar is important to her, but it's cracked. She eventually stopped playing because she didn't want to look at the instrument, so I never actually heard her play it (we've been dating for almost 7 years... I know, it took me a while... but I have skills now ).

I want to fix it, but as handy as I may be, I don't wanna make it worse. The crack seems to be just aesthetic. I'd say it's just the lacquer, but I only recently found out that was a word (not a native english speaker). A few years back, at a store, she was told they'd have to remove the finish and reapply it and that the sound could be affected, so she did nothing. When I started searching, that's the conclusion I got: it'd have to be sanded and repainted. Not gonna do that.

Now, I haven't taken it to another store myself, because I have something better: you .
I also have an idea. Because the damage is on the face of the guitar, I thought of covering it with a piece of aluminum. I chose aluminum because I can easily cut it, engrave it and polish it. The thing is, I don't know if that would be ok and I have quite a few questions:

1 - Would it affect the sound?
2 - How should I glue it? I'm guessing sanding the aluminum and epoxying it (I also have a really storng glue that *may* not destroy the finish of the guitar, in case something goes wrong)
3 - Has anyone done something similar? If so, does it last? I'm not worried about oxydation, but does it get scratches easily?
4 - Should I consider another material?

Once again, I hope you welcome me here and, please, let me know if anything I said wasn't clear. I only reviewed it once and my speech can get a bit confusing sometimes.

Thank you for your attention.
Udjine I understand it might be weird. I know nothing of repairing/hiding imperfections on instruments

Here's an overview of the guitar.

Here's the crack. Besides that white line, you can see the cracks in a darker tone spreading for a radius of about 5-6cm. It shows only on the front.

Edit: Is it really that weird? I'd think it's a pretty easy way to personalize a guitar, even without trying to hide anything. But like I said, I know nothing.
Last edited by devilshands at Jan 25, 2017,
The fix you use will depend on the finish. If I see it correctly, it is a Yamaha APX, so it is a poly finish. I have done invisible and near-invisible repairs to cracks in poly finishes and their underlying timber with CA glue. You have to be careful with the final finishing to getting looking good - scrape, very light sand and polish.

I wouldn't try hiding it, and a glue repair won't affect tone and it will last indefinitely if done properly.
Leave it alone. The guitar was dropped (or smashed into something) and the finish crazed (that's actually a word). Tony Done can fix it, but if you don't have the skills/patience, I'd leave it alone. Bolting a chunk of aluminum to the guitar probably won't make it better.
Tony Done Can you recommend any tutorials? What is the grain of "very light" sand to you?

Ok, I got that aluminum is... unconventional. I expected it to be common for how easy it is and how good may look (in my imagination, at least).
It'd be so much easier if the guitar was mine. I'd have already done it and posted pics... unless it turned out a disaster.

Also, it wouldn't be a "chunk of aluminum" (or whatever material I'd end up with). I have an idea for a design and I also have (most of) the skills and tools to do it. The only thing I lack now is the confidence after reading your replies, but it's good not to be overconfident and I really appreciate your honesty. That was a nice dose of realism.

By the way, here's her, and the last thing I did in aluminum (just because my feelings are a bit hurt ).
http://dshss.deviantart.com/art/Arwen-Crown-651878116

To clarify, your replies are really helpful and I did not dismiss them. I just need more information before I give up.
Sorry, I can't help with tutorials, since it is a very long time since I started doing it, but a Google search would likely find something. Dspellman is right though, it takes practice and more than a few mistakes to get it right.

Dunno, if you could do a nice bit of filigree=type art work in aluminium, it might look good. I've disguised dings with armrests, but it wouldn't look very convincing in that location. Maybe if you could work it into some kind of symmetrical pattern. I would be wondering how I was going to stick it down, preferably reversibly.
I started considering other materials.

A safer option I thought of was to use leather and make sort of a vest. Or more like a weird diaper. Not a good description, anyway... With all due engravings and stuff to make it look pretty, but no glues and not trinkets. I'd sew it to avoid metal thingies that might scratch the guitar. I'd use enough leather to not look like a couple of belts (and cover the crack), but not so much that would hide the guitar.

Do you think it could affect the sound?
Could the leather rubbing on the guitar corners wear it down?
And which parts should I focus on not to make it disconfortable to play?

Thank you so much for helping out.
Hmm, not sure I like the leather idea, the "daiper" thing put me off. It might look a bit "heavy"on a small guitar like that.

I know pretty well what I would try. I would make a pattern out of some kind of opaque material, like plastic sheet of some kind (eg plastic ring binder or folders, clear acrylic sheet painted from the back), and stick it down with carpet tape. I've used carpet tape a lot for that kind of thing, and it shouldn't damage the finish. You could experiment with paper patterns before you committed.
Look in stew Mac for tutorials videos how to repair finish crack.. YouTube also have plenty of finish repair tutorial.. you need same type of lacquer.. I believe there are 4 to 5 grades of sand paper and sharp safety blade to scrape excess lacquer...

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jan 27, 2017,