Hello guys. Here's an extract from Hammett's recording just to remind you of the sound:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1axRb7Q7nd1

How do I get a sustained "screaming" sound like that? I mean either with amp simulation like BIAS FX or with actual equipment.

I've been trying using this chain:
-EMG81 (bridge)
-GCB95F wah
from there on, in BIAS FX desktop:
-compressor pedal
-overdrive pedal
-amp
-reverb
-delay
-studio compressor

After messing around with every possible amp and setting, and I'm not even close. However, I can get pretty close to for example the "Sad but true" solo tone which doesn't have all the "screaming" that the Roam solo does..

So am I missing something? Isn't my chain somewhat equivalent to what Kirk would have used in the studio?
Are you using the wah?

Because he has the thing on the entire solo and pretty close to the toe position with a bit of rocking most of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I use a dimebag wah and an MXR wylde overdrive and move the wah to taste. When he is screaming I have my WAH all the way down and rock just tiny bit. That's through a peavey XXX with regular metallica settings and the hetset. Who really knows what he actually used. I would say that's the secret sauce.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Last edited by tysona23 at Jan 25, 2017,
I'm using my wah yes. But my wah has almost no effect on the highest notes such as on that e-22b24b22b24b22b24 bend thing he does @32 sec. Also sounds to me like there's some sort of insane compression going on.
Quote by tysona23
I use a dimebag wah and an MXR wylde overdrive and move the wah to taste. When he is screaming I have my WAH all the way down and rock just tiny bit. That's through a peavey XXX with regular metallica settings and the hetset. Who really knows what he actually used. I would say that's the secret sauce.

Actually what they used during the era is documented and some of the rig was shown on that MTV metallica documentary thing from the early 90s. It was mostly Mark IIs and IVs run into different cabs with a bit of ADA MP-1 preamp and a JC120 for the clean bits. Possibly a Triaxis near the end of recording. Kirk also used a Bradshaw preamp for some stuff too IIRC

Not too familiar though. Im not a massive Metallica fan anymore.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually what they used during the era is documented and some of the rig was shown on that MTV metallica documentary thing from the early 90s. It was mostly Mark IIs and IVs run into different cabs with a bit of ADA MP-1 preamp and a JC120 for the clean bits. Possibly a Triaxis near the end of recording. Kirk also used a Bradshaw preamp for some stuff too IIRC

Not too familiar though. Im not a massive Metallica fan anymore.

There ya go^
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
I think the secret to that sound is Bob Rock...seriously - studio trickery overlaid multimic setup, some high end echo processors or verb chamber, etc.
Sounds like a multispeaker mic setup, probably SM57, a Royer and a condenser all mixed in.
The basis of the sound is a wah and maybe a distorted Mark (although I can probably get close with something like a Friedman or Marshall JCM800 amp) with something like a tubescreamer in front, then some kind of high end console delay and verb, if you have convolution try cathedral or concert hall settings. It sounds to me like it was a single coil guitar, therefore it has a bit more air to the sound.
missing piece of the puzzle is likely a whammy bar. sounds to me like there is a pull up as the wha pitch raises which will give you a scream. learned that trick from Uli Roth during his Scorpion days , he did it with a regular strat trem but Kirk was using a strat with emgs and a Floyd at that time.
Quote by diabolical
I think the secret to that sound is Bob Rock...seriously - studio trickery overlaid multimic setup, some high end echo processors or verb chamber, etc.
Sounds like a multispeaker mic setup, probably SM57, a Royer and a condenser all mixed in.
The basis of the sound is a wah and maybe a distorted Mark (although I can probably get close with something like a Friedman or Marshall JCM800 amp) with something like a tubescreamer in front, then some kind of high end console delay and verb, if you have convolution try cathedral or concert hall settings. It sounds to me like it was a single coil guitar, therefore it has a bit more air to the sound.

He cut the solo on a KH-2 or an LP. Pretty sure with EMGs as well.

Quote by monwobobbo
missing piece of the puzzle is likely a whammy bar. sounds to me like there is a pull up as the wha pitch raises which will give you a scream. learned that trick from Uli Roth during his Scorpion days , he did it with a regular strat trem but Kirk was using a strat with emgs and a Floyd at that time.

He was using an MM-250, an MV-290, a Gibson LPC and an RR1T at the time. The ESP strat in the One video was just a prop.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He cut the solo on a KH-2 or an LP. Pretty sure with EMGs as well.

He was using an MM-250, an MV-290, a Gibson LPC and an RR1T at the time. The ESP strat in the One video was just a prop.

that strat wasn't a prop and he mentioned using it more than once back then. he also played it live and there are pix of that floating around to.
Quote by monwobobbo
that strat wasn't a prop and he mentioned using it more than once back then. he also played it live and there are pix of that floating around to.

Hmm, well the only stratocaster I remember Hammett having in the early days was a Fernandes with Lace Sensors and the only mention of Kirk playing a strat on the Black Album is on Don't Tread on Me in which he says he used a stock Fender Stratocaster but 0 mentions of using an ESP one but he also mentioned that he played his KH-1 for most of the album (and AJFA for that matter) in the same interview and also said he used the LPC for leads.

I could be wrong though. Either way, now I'm just geeking out on details that aren't important.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hmm, well the only stratocaster I remember Hammett having in the early days was a Fernandes with Lace Sensors and the only mention of Kirk playing a strat on the Black Album is on Don't Tread on Me in which he says he used a stock Fender Stratocaster but 0 mentions of using an ESP one but he also mentioned that he played his KH-1 for most of the album (and AJFA for that matter) in the same interview and also said he used the LPC for leads.

. Either way, now I'm just geeking out on details that aren't important.

yeah fernandez was wht I was thinking about. I know I have an old guitar mag tha has pix of it with emgs in it though from that time period. anyways pretty sure whammy pull up with wha is how to get that screaming sound
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah fernandez was wht I was thinking about. I know I have an old guitar mag tha has pix of it with emgs in it though from that time period. anyways pretty sure whammy pull up with wha is how to get that screaming sound

Are you talking about harmonic squeals cause IMO Hammett for sure isn't doing that. Those sound more like this:

IMO it sounds like a wah and a bit of pinch in his picking technique so that some of the notes squeal a bit like Billy Gibbons does.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

well the sound the OP posted. just took a stab at it and you could be right as well. I've gotten similar sounds to what he posted the way I mentioned. of course thee are often more than one way to get similar sounds
There's a video - "Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica" that I remember watching and it had them tracking with Bob Rock for this album. I remember Kirk was prancing around the studio with a standard strat as well (single coils, etc.). Maybe watch that video and see if you can find out. It was showing him play some of the leads and I think this song was included.