hi,guys
looking for top picks when it comes to overdrive pedals, I play a strat and music style more blues rock, price no problem, what would you guys buy today, I value what you guys say,
thanks again for your time,
bluesfloyd,
Quote by bluesfloyd
hi,guys
looking for top picks when it comes to overdrive pedals, I play a strat and music style more blues rock, price no problem, what would you guys buy today, I value what you guys say,
thanks again for your time,
bluesfloyd,

price no problem could bite you in the ass . I mean a Klon Centaur would likely be a great pedal for you but they go for upwards of $2000 these days.

there are an unbelievable amount of overdrives out there these days in all price ranges so you might want to rethink this a bit.

Will is right though in that often Tubescreamer style pedals are used by many blues rock guys so that's a good place to start. the TS is also one of the most copied overdrives ever with a fair bit of variation. personally I use either a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 or a T-Rex Crunchy Frog. the CM-2 has a better eq setup than a TS and has an option for more overdrive which makes it very versatile. the Crunchy Frog has a built in clean boost and is very touch sensitive.(down side is that it is a trebley pedal so the eq is kind limited when paired with strats except thru more bass heavy amps) both pedals are out of production but not hard to find

I'd suggest trying out a few different ones if possible. almost any overdrive will work for what you want I use a cheap Chinese TS mini knock off for practice (Eno Music OD-9) and it works fine for blues rock.
Just remember that "more" or "rare" are not the same as "better"

For a smooth TS-type sound I like the Bad Monkey as much as anything I've tried, and they are solidly built. For a grittier type sound I like the asymmetric clipping of the Boss SD-1, mine is an old Japanese model, I don't know what the new ones are like.

I also like the Sansamp "Character" series pedals, as each one has a huge range of sounds that are reasonable facsimiles of different makes of amp. They are also powerful enough to use as preamps - I sometimes use my "British" as the preamp for the power amp section of my H&K.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jan 25, 2017,
Blues Rock ODs I like:

Keeley Katana Blues Driver
Magnetic Effects Satellite
ThorpyFX Peacekeeper
TrueTone VS-XO (OD/OD)
Dr. No Drive-O-Magic
ThorpyFX Gunshot
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 (OD/Dist)
TrueTone Jekyll & Hyde V3 (OD/Dist)
Red Witch Famulus (OD/Dist)

The first 4 on that list will be the most capable of delivering a clean to slightly dirty boost, the rest will have more dirt available on the other end.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
4 guys have responded and already over a dozen different overdrives mentioned . me thinks that some more details would help narrow the field a bit (I saw this same thread over at TGP with another dozen pedals recommended.)
I don't know about anyone else, but I have 5 of the ones I listed*, and plan to collect the set!**

Pedalmon: got to step on them all!!!

* and others

** and others
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Got my eye on the wampler plexi-drive deluxe.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by monwobobbo
price no problem could bite you in the ass . I mean a Klon Centaur would likely be a great pedal for you but they go for upwards of $2000 these days.

there are an unbelievable amount of overdrives out there these days in all price ranges so you might want to rethink this a bit.

You can build one if handy with a soldering iron. Google tagboard effects. Its a blog that posts vero board layouts. They have a klon based one or two.
Way Huge Green Rhino is the best OD I've ever tried. It's based off the TS808, but it's far more versatile with it's added EQ controls and all of its controls have a wider sweep than a Tubescreamer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
bluesfloyd
So as TS9 Tube Screamer was mentioned, check also Boss Bd-2 Blues Driver
Despite its name, the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver works for far more than just blues. When tallying up people’s recommendations for the best overdrive pedal, the BD-2 came in just a few votes behind the Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. Considering how legendary the Tube Screamer is and how close this came to it, that's pretty high praise. Artists like John Mayer, Kelly Jones of Stereophonics, and Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day have used this pedal in their live setups (John Mayer used one that was Keeley-modded, which we'll cover below). Let’s find out why.

We say this every time we review a Boss stompbox, but the build quality is great. Boss pedals are notorious for being able to take a beating over many years and continue to perform perfectly. Pedal aesthetics are of course very subjective, but we have to mention the Blues Driver is a very good looking pedal, with its blue color and yellow lettering. If you’ve been looking at other overdrive pedals, the knobs on this one won’t surprise you: Level, Gain, and Tone. The Gain knob lets you dial in the desired amount of overdrive. Setting the Gain at about 30% gives you that crunchy Hendrix-like tone. The interplay between your guitar’s volume knob and the BD-2’s tone leaves you with a ton of fine-grained control over the amount of crunch and break-up. Roll the gain knob to between 60% and 70% to get a nice big blues solo tone, but one that still lets you articulate chords. The Tone knob, just like the previous pedals we’ve covered, let you span between very dark to extremely bright and treble-y, and you’ll want to adjust this depending what guitar and amp combo you have.

The Blues Driver is compared a lot to a Tube Screamer. In terms of purpose, neither of those pedals are meant to be used for all-out high-gain distortion. The Boss BD-2 excels if used to boost your clean tone, all the way to a very broken-up, crunchy sound. Reviewers of these two pedals agree that right out of the box, the BD-2 offers a little bit more of that familiar overdriven sound, while the Tube Screamer is a little more particular. You can definitely get a pretty thick hardcore growl out of the Blues Driver with all knobs turned to the right.

Bottom Line: Between the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and a Tube Screamer, it truly comes down to subtleties in tone. Perhaps surprisingly, a lot of the head-to-head comparisons tended to favor the Blues Driver, saying that the pedal responds better to picking dynamics, and has more “dirt” available than the TS9. Check out some YouTube videos of both and see which is better suited to your playing style (although we gotta admit when we did that, it was difficult for us to even tell the difference). Sight unseen, we’d got for the Boss BD-2, and get it modded by Keeley Electronics with the Phat Mod. This mod introduces a switch that when engaged introduces more low end, as well as reduces the noise of the pedal to lower than stock levels.

Quote by bluesfloyd
price no problem

I think some clarification is needed, because there'll be too wide list of pedals.
The Boss Blues Driver is not only a tone classic, but as a Boss pedal, it will take a beating. And if you somehow manage to kill one, odds are good you can find a reasonably priced replacement in any major city in the First World.

Ibanez TS9 for lead as it boosts the midrange and the Boss BD2 for rhythm work as it sounds more natural similar to tube amp overdrive.
^ Yeah I like combining a ts- or sd1-style pedal with a flatter mids/bassier pedal like a bd2. Only think I'd say is, if my digitech screamin blues was anything to go by (far as i'm aware it's a glorified bd2 clone), if you like stacking overdrive pedals, my screamin blues didn't like being second in the stack. just didn't sound great that way. it sounded fine stacked into another pedal, but some people like having options for stacking order.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I prefer using MXR M133 to boost either overdrive than using them into each other (the TS9 and the BD2).
yeah i suppose. then you need another pedal. i'd generally use the flatter mids OD like a boost (though I realise you don't have to do that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a TS9 for a boost it is an old early 80's Ibanez TS9 that was built by Maxxon.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

BY THEM ALL!
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Now I noticed your into Pink Floyd. A BD-2 works great as a cheap alternative to the tube driver. A ProCo RAT is also nice for the high gain leads/fuzz tones.