I am looking for some new pickups for my SG Standard (came with 490/498). I found the stock pickups to be very underwhelming. They just lack oomph as well as low end and true articulation. Here's my thought: I have EMG 57/66 in my EC-1000, I was thinking of putting those into my SG and possibly getting rid of the EC. On the other hand I have been very intrigued by the new Fishman Fluence modern and classic pickups. They seem very versatile. Being as that they are relatively new I am not too sure on taking the leap of faith on them.
TL;DR- need new pickups, open to suggestions. Looking for better output and response without the compression of standard EMGs. I typically play passive pickups.

I know you guys will have tons of great ideas- Thanks in advance
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Fluence pickups are gaining a pretty good rep.

What are you planning on playing?
Your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I am planning on playing a variety of things, although I do tend to play more towards the metal/rock world, occasionally I play clean with some reverb.
Budget would be around $250, new or used.
Line 6 M13
Total or per pickup?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

total. Not looking to break the bank, I would be willing to go a little more (i.e- fisherman are like $249 now and the Devin Townsend set are 279).
So...roughly $250 total. If a cheaper option exists then I am all for that. I don't mind buying used either.
Line 6 M13
Check out Railhammer. At @$100/pickup, they're in your budget, and between HBs and "humcutters" (HB-sized noise-cancelling P90s), there are a lot of tonal options.

Pickups are a bit tough to recommend because the diffefence they make in tone can be sublte and very subjective. That being said, could you provide just a bit more of an idea what some of the sounds you like might be? A particular artist, song, album, etc. would be great.

Just to emphasize my point, I might recommend a Dimarzio Tone Zone for some metal tones, and a Dimarzio Crunch Lab for others. Very different pickups that both sound great.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Or you could just go for the industry standard JB/Jazz set. I swapped out those Gibson pups in my Yammy SG with a JB/Jazz set and the improvement was remarkable. JB's are far more articulate than a 498.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Or you could just go for the industry standard JB/Jazz set. I swapped out those Gibson pups in my Yammy SG with a JB/Jazz set and the improvement was remarkable. JB's are far more articulate than a 498.

Thats so boring though

There's good reason that they are so ubiquitous though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the ideas so far. As far as SD pickups are concerned I used to have a Custom 5 in the bridge of my old LP and it sounded amazing. I have never heard the Jazz before. How does it compare to the 59?

I had a railhammer in an old SG and just never really got along with it. Great pickup, just not my cup of tea.

Arcane triple clone???-I will look into that as I am unfamiliar with it.

Music-wise= Mastodon, Opeth (clean and heavy), Baroness, Metallica, Death, Joe Bonamassa, etc. (so, yeah a wide range).
Line 6 M13
Sounds like a good bit of heavy tone though.

Brent Hinds signature Lace pickups are monstrous, and I would thin they would work nicely. Lace in general have a ton of great options. I haven't bought any myself, but everytime I hear a set I get the urge.
Same here. I was in line to get the Hinds V when it first came out but for some reason zzounds stop carrying it for the time being and when I went with sweet water their wait list was crazy long. I'll probably pick one up eventually.

Pickups-wise I don't really want the Hinds pickups due to aesthetics in my SG, sounds stupid I know. I'll look more into Lace though, like you I have never really played them or heard them too much.
Line 6 M13
Lace makes great pickups. Their noiseless singlecoils are practically legends.

I personally have Alumitone singlecoils in a hollowbody, and am planning on building a custom semihollow around a Deathbucker/Alumitone HSS. A sig set might wind up replacing some SDs or DiMarzios.

Still thinking...

I also really like the Dimarzio Tone Zone for a versatile metal pickup. It's not tight like some of the more modern-aimed offerings, but if you have a Tubescreamer then you're golden. I know my fanboy is coming out, but I think this is one of the most underrated pickups made.

Pair it with an Air Norton in the neck, or one of my favorite combos, a PAF-style pickup, you can get some really sweet sounds.
I see those a lot in Ibby's but I am not sure how it would sound in an SG. Ideally I don't want a pickup that requires a pedal to make it sound right. I feel like my amps do a lot of the work and the pedals are just the fine tuning.

Right now I am really leaning towards the Fishman Fluence Modern or Classic (can't decide) or simply just throwing my EMG 57/66 in there, but that would leave a guitar without pickups.
Line 6 M13
I will throw up a rec for lace. I love the brent heinds buckers. it seems that you get a huge bag for the buck with lace, $100 a pop. not much more than a dimarzio and an SD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dementiacaptain
I also really like the Dimarzio Tone Zone for a versatile metal pickup. It's not tight like some of the more modern-aimed offerings, but if you have a Tubescreamer then you're golden. I know my fanboy is coming out, but I think this is one of the most underrated pickups made.

Pair it with an Air Norton in the neck, or one of my favorite combos, a PAF-style pickup, you can get some really sweet sounds.

Plus one for the Tone Zone I bought one back when they first came out and loved them every since I currently have 14 guitars and none of them are equipped with a Tone Zone which makes me sad, must put a Tone Zone on my 2017 gear list.

I have to throw the Wylde L500XL into the mix it is a great pickup and can pull off metal, rock and it also does great cleans, designed by the legend Bill Lawrence!

The Wylde pups are only $60 give or take because they are sold factory direct with no advertising overhead or retail mark-up, but don't let the low price fool you thay are worthy.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 26, 2017,
Quote by bobafettacheese
I see those a lot in Ibby's but I am not sure how it would sound in an SG. Ideally I don't want a pickup that requires a pedal to make it sound right. I feel like my amps do a lot of the work and the pedals are just the fine tuning.

Right now I am really leaning towards the Fishman Fluence Modern or Classic (can't decide) or simply just throwing my EMG 57/66 in there, but that would leave a guitar without pickups.

The Fishmans look nice, not a bad way to go. From what I hear the 57/66 sounds like a great set too.
It occurs to me that- because of the £'s Brexit-induced slide- pickup sets from Bareknuckle and possibly The Creamery are within your budget. That's a ton of great options right there!

I got a trio of BKP's relatively hot Stockholm P90s* to put into a Fret-King Esprit III (their mahogany bodied riff on the Explorer) and I used a HB & HB-sized P90 from The Creamery in a "hot-rodded" Teleclone build.

Couldn't be more pleased.

* available as HB-sized P90s

I will add Lace to the short list of pickups to look at. Versatility is key so I appreciate the wide array of suggestions so far. Any experience with having them actually in an SG is great. Thanks.
Line 6 M13
I put in some seymour duncan pickups... a Jeff Beck and something else.... bloody awesome!