I'm considering getting one of the units in the title. Perhaps I'm just being dumb and I've just not found the relevant web page but.... what's the extras/benefits of getting one of the "x" models as opposed to the standard model? The "x" models must be better but do I need whatever is only in them instead of the basic?
Cheers for any insights guys
chrislanie
Hi, some info from premierguitar:
The HD Pro X is built around many of the same models and algorithms as previous versions, but packs more processing horsepower, which is helpful, because complicated dual-amp setups and processor-intensive effects like reverb and pitch-shifting can hog processing power. The POD HD Pro X can create ultra-complex rigs that make Steve Vai’s layered, harmonized sounds seem as simple as a Tube Screamer, and the unit won’t flinch.
The "X" is just the most current upgrade in terms of processing power and capabilities. It IS the standard model at the moment.

The "bean" version never got the "X" upgrade, and I've had one of those for several years.
About the only real item worth noting is that the first gen unit is arguably underpowered in the DSP section, and if you get really stretched out in running dual rigs, you'll bump into some limitations. When DSP power got cheaper, they stuffed more of it in the 500X series.

There's a notable difference in price between the 500X (floor model) and the rack-mount ProX version, and you still have to buy a floor pedal (usually the FBV Shortboard) if you want to use it live.

Before I'd go with the Pro X (rack) and the floor pedal, I'd probably hunt down a good used Helix (they've been showing up for just over $1000 around here), which works at a whole 'nother level.
Sadly I'll be looking at used for either pro x or 500x so a helix is sadly waaaay out of the question. I've been looking at atomic amplifires also used but they always sadly creep beyond my meagre budget
You might consider the HD (bean) version as well. There are two on the local (Los Angeles area) Craig's where the owners are asking $130 and $145, respectively, with the second one allegedly out of the box only once to try it out. Everything that's on the floor or rack model is there, save a few output features and connection for the Variax guitars. The DSP, models, etc., are identical to the HD500. Shortboards generally go for around half the new price, so around $99.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/5974942766.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/5968478147.html
Although this HD Bean is very cool I'm finding I miss the pedals of my XTLive. Something to consider.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Although this HD Bean is very cool I'm finding I miss the pedals of my XTLive. Something to consider.

The FBV Shortboard gives you the pedals you're missing. New, they're about $200, used about half that. It hooks up to the Pro or HD (bean) versions with a VDI cable (you can also use a standard Ethernet cable). No other power or cable connections required.

Quote by dspellman
The FBV Shortboard gives you the pedals you're missing. New, they're about $200, used about half that. It hooks up to the Pro or HD (bean) versions with a VDI cable (you can also use a standard Ethernet cable). No other power or cable connections required.

thanks that is certainly worth considering.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
thanks that is certainly worth considering.

I've also used the FBV Express (expression pedal, tuner display, tap tempo and four foot switches) with the beans. Turns out these are a pretty good setup for live work with the Bean.
Thanks gonna give that a try. Any noticeable difference iin processing power between the bean and 500? This site needs a modeling sub forum.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD