I want to purchase my first mandolin. What should I look for? F-style or A-style?

Also if this isn't the proper area to post this please move it to the correct one.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
Hehehe...well, this is as right a place to post it as any I asked some banjo questions fairly recently, and the guys didn't complain too much

What mandolin brand did you have in mind? Not a mandolin player here, just curious.
TobusRex I was looking at this Ibanez M510.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Quote by DissonantTimbre
I was looking at this Ibanez M510.
I've bought 3 guitars from Ibanez, and now deeply regret each and every one of them. YM, of course, MV.
Captaincranky

Three? It seems to me you have the same optimistic (masochistic?) tendencies towards Ibs as I have toward Martins. I've never been able to work up any enthusiasm for Ib acoustics, but their electrics are pretty good - I've seen a fair few of both - so I wouldn't like to guess about the mandos. A new kind of instrument is not the kind of thing I would buy without trying though.
Tony Done Kentucky was the other one I was looking at but I have no way of trying prior to buying as neither guitar center or sam ash stock them in the store.
Quote by Charles Ives

Quote by Béla Bartók
Tony Done You're realy hell bent on pulling me way off topic, now aren't cha?

Ibanez 1: (The best of the bunch), a black AEL-10 (cutaway, electronics, GA size). It's great plugged in, but being all laminate, it loses it chime rather quickly after a string job.

Ibanez 2: A black single cut electric a la "Les Paul". Ibanez ships with .009's, so you'll be impressed with how easy the guitar is to play. However, being a mostly acoustic player, I couldn't get a clean, in tune chord out of the POS to save my life. And the pickups suck for anything other than playing with distortion.

I changed the strings to .010's, and dropped the pickups, along with tweaking the pole pieces. Sure it was better, but they put the volume and tone knobs directly under where your arm follows through when strumming. Strum the guitar, and the follow through turns off the volume, and you're dead in the water if you expect something to come out of the amp. Moral of the story, you can't really play rhythm with the guitar.

Ibanez 3: I should have caught on by now, but I was suckered by a pretty face. I bought one of their fancy "Exotic Wood" Ash wood acoustics. It has a great sounding chorus. But, after you live with the turd for a while, you realize it's gaudier than a damned J-200, and it's dead as a door nail acoustically.

I'm left handed, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of what bone any given maker is going to throw me, And as for the best of bunch AEL-10, well, you just have to listen to even my humble Sonoran, to realize why that thing is in a gig bag in the back bedroom.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 30, 2017,