starts at 12s till 16s
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Last edited by hecks at Jan 28, 2017,
Not sure what else to say other than the obvious needing a whammy bar..
it sounds like he's yanking it up in pitch twice per note.

it's almost like a gargle but i think he's actually deliberately doing it precisely rather than just whacking the tremolo arm and hoping for the best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
He is definitely deliberately doing it, this is just one of many videos where he does it- I feel like it's sorta his signature vibrato sound.
But yeah this is the type of answer I was looking for; I was also wondering whether the tone of his guitar was significant or if he could only do this with certain chords?

here is when he was touring with Tori Kelly; lick starts at 24s
- earth,wind, and fire
I think he's just shaking the bar quite vigorously - not pulling up on it, that has a different sound. It's also the fact that he's doing it on chords that makes it sound like that. If I remember rightly when you use the bar each string will be affected by a slightly different amount, e.g. depress the bar, some strings will go down in pitch more than others. So if you use it on a chord it'll go slightly out of tune.
The other thing he does is a pull-off directly after using the bar.
In the second video for instance I think he's playing something like :
vib. w/bar
     ~~~         ~~~         ~~~
|-15----p13---------------------------|
|-------------15----p13---------------|
|-13----------13----------15----p13---|
|-13----------13----------13----------|
|-------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------|
^ yeah he's vibratoing it more than a deliberate up-pull, i just meant that the vibrato went upwards in pitch rather than downwards. but at the same time it sort of sounds more deliberate to me than vibrato, all the same- he very specifically (to my ears, anyway) does it twice.

granted, some players do vibrato pretty deliberately as well.

and yeah there's a pull off immediately after the vibrato, as you said.
Quote by hecks
Dave_Mc
He is definitely deliberately doing it, this is just one of many videos where he does it- I feel like it's sorta his signature vibrato sound.
But yeah this is the type of answer I was looking for; I was also wondering whether the tone of his guitar was significant or if he could only do this with certain chords?

here is when he was touring with Tori Kelly; lick starts at 24s

yeah. i mean, the guitar's important in that it sounds very much like a strat (it's a suhr i think but it's basically a strat-style guitar). it won't sound exactly 100% without a strat-style guitar (i.e. the right type of pickups) and ideally the right style of trem (a vintage strat-style one). But if you play it the way he does with any guitar (or at least any guitar with a trem) you should be able to get close.

i'm not sure if it matters about specific chords. I mean, it won't sound like you're playing exactly what he's playing if you're not playing the same chords, obviously, but if you do the trem trick the exact way he's doing it it should sound more or less right regardless of what exact chords you use. I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
alright thanks guys, this was more than enough of an answer.
ima give it more practice but i'm closer to the sound!
I know I wont get the exact 100% same tone but at that point i'd just try to make it my own
- earth,wind, and fire